Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lui
Beginner October 2015

Photographers and seating plan

Lui, 14 of May of 2015 at 10:14 Posted on Planning 0 15

So I’m a little bit confused... I’m trying to figure out the seating plan and trying to work out if the Photographer comes on the seating plan and is also counted as part of our guests?

So our photographer is an old friend of mine which I’ve known since I was 16 and really wanted him to photograph my wedding, when H2B agreed, I was delighted. Now I’m just not too sure what to do, do I place him on a vendors table or have him in the guest count. We are giving him a dinner as it would be mean not to as he’s there all day.

I never really thought about it until H2B asked the question last night when we were working on the seating plan.

So OM’s did you put your photographer in the guest count? Did they have a vendors table?

Photographers, what do you find the best?

Thanks?

15 replies

Latest activity by Chris, 31 of January of 2021 at 15:06
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Hmm.. unusual one because its a friend. Normally togs don't eat/sit with you and don't count in your numbers, sounds like something you might want to ask him about.

• E
    Beginner June 2015
    EmilySpoon89 ·
    • Hide content

I have counted mine in with the guest count & he will ba sat on a table with our friends. He didn't insist on this, however he is such a big part of the day I think it will be nice. He will also be taking informal shots throughout (when we are not eating!).

I think it depends on the photographer really, maybe ask him what he thinks?

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

As above, never on the seating plan but in your case he is a friend so put him on the seating plan.?

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

As he's a friend i'd put him on the seating plan. He may be offended otherwise.

• RoseArcana
    RoseArcana ·
    • Hide content

Our TOG is a family friend who's known us for years. He's got a place on the seating plan because his wife and grandchildren are invited also as we want him there as a guest as well as a photographer. I would ask him what he would rather do? At least if you ask you can phrase it so you want him to know he's still a friend not just your tog. I know my videographer wants to eat alone so he can make some calls and chill out for a few minutes x

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

My cousin is our TOG and he will definitely be on the seating plan. He may be photographing the wedding but he is also a guest.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

If he's a friend sit him with your guests.

Just not at the top table, which um, happened to me once. Awkward.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

If he's a friend sit him with your guests.

Just not at the top table, which um, happened to me once. Awkward.

Likewise, I have had this.....Once I was sitting directly opposite the bride and groom and on another occasion, the Groom (Vietnamese) insisted I sat with him and his bride due to the way I had "performed the photography" on the day itself........I prefer to "live in the shadows"....

Peter

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Yep what Bruce first said and the others, if hes a friend then great, otherwise no.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

When you say old friend, how much of a friend are we talking? Unless it's a good friend who will know others at the wedding well, i'd not include him in the seating plan to be honest.

I've shot weddings of friends (people I was friends with at school but haven't really spoken to since for example) and we still always prefer to be seated elsewhere because it means that we can actually get on with doing other stuff- like grabbing any shots of details or the venue, or the wedding rings. We can go back through our schedules and clean our lenses etc. Otherwise you're up and down like a yo-yo and it can come across as being rude or unsociable.

Being sat on a table is a really lovely thought, but personally we'd find it easier to be sat elsewhere.

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys, I wasn’t sure with him being a friend what he wanted to do, dropped him a quick email and he wants to be in a separate room so he can do his back up at that point for what he has so far.

I’ve made a note to give him dinner the same time as us then so he doesn’t have to miss the speeches and eat so quickly.

Was interesting to see what others have done though.

The top table part is very strange to me but hey some people would think it would be a way to honour them for doing an awesome job.

• Hide content
    View quoted message

Make sure that you let the venue know that he is not just a photographer that you are supplying food for but he is a special friend and you want his food served at the same time as yours. Otherwise they are likely to to serve the whole room and his will be last meaning that he will have to rush.

• Lui
    Beginner October 2015
    Lui ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you!

I’ve circled the note to make it shown as super important as many blogs I read before finally reaching him mentioned this. So its definitely on my to do list when I talk to the venue.

• Hide content

A friend is different but I never ask for food - some even have it in a contract that you have to feed them.

One of the reasons is exactly this because as a supplier you are delt with last and I like to keep popping into the room for shots in-between courses and can get some great candids, so when you are given the food last ( that is even if the venue remembers and you have to go searching and asking a very busy head waiter and then wait 10 more mins) so by the time you have your food the bride and groom have finished and are chatting and having a mingle which are shots I want, so I do those and come back -- still no more food "oh we couldnt find you".

Apart from the fact that when I am working I just dont get hungry I much prefer to sort myself out - sometimes just a banana and breakfast bar is all I need and that way I am in control and can fit in a snack when its convenient for me

• C
    Co Antrim
    Chris ·
    • Hide content
    Your photographer will most likely be happy to grab a meal at the bar! Gives them some down time away from having to make small talk with guests. Also let’s them check their equipment, reply to any emails and get ready for the first dance!

www.therealus.co.uk

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics