Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner June 2024 Wiltshire

Photographers low end vs high end

Vicki, 25 of July of 2023 at 12:17 Posted on Planning 0 10
Hi! I’m looking at booking our photographer for next year and I’m baffled at the price difference between some. So I have quotes for as low as £800 for the day and as high as £2500 for the day. Both just photos no video. For me photos are huge as they are your memories of the day forever so I don’t mind spending a bit more. However, I’m struggling to see the benefit of what you actually get by paying so much more. I have seen photos from both ends of the scale and struggling to see much difference. Am I missing something?! Thanks!

10 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 2 of August of 2023 at 21:51
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Don't just go by the shots that they show on their webpage, ask to see a whole wedding or at least 100 shots from a single wedding and a few different ones too then you might see a difference. If the cheaper ones still look good to you then next could be experience, some may of recently started out and so charge less and as soon as they have got themselves established will put the price up.

Then some may be doing it just as an extra income and have a main job. Others may not take all the best practice measures that add cost to your wedding, like insurance, spare equipment of everything and also spare of that too, back up procedures and facilities. Or use cheap cameras and lenses.

Then there is the work that may or may not go into the images afterwards. Some may do more editing than others which can take days to do - look for odd things in the background or sticking out of someone's head. I could go on but that's enough to start you off. Hope that helps.

• V
    Vicki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you that’s much appreciated. There are just so many to choose from it’s such a difficult decision!
    • Hide content

Google their names - not business names and see what else comes up.

Also there was a thread that I posted a lot of info in but I can not find it now - it was titled

Band or dj & Photographer advise for a newbie Smiley smile

• Bunker
    Beginner June 2019 Karnataka
    Bunker ·
    • Hide content

Very good quality cameras have such a major light sensor that even at ISO 1600 or more, the pictures won't have any noticeable grain in them.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

How do they photograph in poor light or weather conditions?

I've seen a few cheap photographers who manage great in good conditions, but as soon as they have to photograph in rain or in dimly lit buildings, you end up with loads of red eyes, whited out faces and blurry photos! One of my friends had a photographer like this, and while she didn't seem to notice, I would have hated getting wedding photos like those!

Having said that, if a photographer gets super popular, they can whack the prices up just because of the name. Where I used to live, there was one local photographer who became the 'must have' wedding photographer, and her prices were a good £400-£500 more than a couple of others who were equally good. So don't assume that the most expensive one is always the best!

• Hide content

RomanticGreenStationery27135 has a good advice. Yes a lower price does not mean that they are no good, I have seen some very expensive ones that are rubbish - but not very often when compared to low cost ones.

Its easy to get great shots in perfect light but this is UK and can get dark at 4.30pm everyone needs to see shots from a wedding at the same time of year and inside in summer rain. I have a gallery dedicated to just that here Bad Weather Gallery .

Inside shots RomanticGreenStationery27135 is right - check for odd skin colour or overall colour tone especially inside tipis and Churches. A little trick some do is to use black & white to get around it. Flash photography - look for black backgrounds and white out details in the dress and harsh shadows.

Staying local might be cheaper, I can keep prices low by staying local which also means I can keep off motorways, I have heard where some have got stuck on the way to a wedding. Read my blog here about staying local Some are happy to travel for 2 hours each way and shoot for £500 - that simply does not add up. Start looking local and then outwards from there if you do not find what you are looking for but take note that an area directory will also contain a lot who pay extra to be in that area also.

• Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 West Midlands
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    Hi there,

I’m like you - photos are the key for me and I was willing to spurge. I think it’s literally the only thing you take away from a wedding (minus the bride / groom 🤣) so I think it’s important they’re good quality.
    I look through a lot of photographers and I nearly gave up in the end as I didn’t find anybody who ticked all the boxes, until I found the one! For me, it’s the way they position themselves, the focus on individuals, the lighting and creativity. Also, I was looking for a two person crew.
    My questions for you is,Have you looked at a full wedding album from all the photographers? It’s so important to look at full albums.Have you looked at these photographers at similar venues / same time of year as your proposed venue? And do you know your style of photographer you’d like I.E light and airy photos or more sunset rustic vibes.
    Xx
  • V
    Vicki ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much for the help. Honestly it’s such a minefield! My friend recently got married and I have seen the photos and they are very much that light and airy effect. I really wanted to like them because of the price she paid 😂 but they’re not really what I want but I’m also battling with my FH who doesn’t want to spend much and doesn’t seem to really notice the different styles. So hard to get it right!
    Think I will start reaching out to some today and see happens! X
    • Hide content

Yes examples of indoors/ bad weather is a very good one to ask for. I have a page on my website that features just that called Wedding Day Rain.

Also don't just go by social media as images will be the best from a wedding, not a good representation of the whole wedding. So ask to see a whole wedding ideally shot at your venue. Do they have a website as anyone can post on social media, do they have a proper email address or is it just gmail.

Look out for "styled shoots" which are not real weddings and are set up using models. It may not say it's a styled shoot, it could be "loving the vibe from this couple". It may of taken hours for one shot so not an example of their work at a real wedding. Read the caption and it might list suppliers including the models. I see on my social media feed that some seem to of done nothing else but styled shoots and not actually many real weddings- which then look totally different from the styled ones.

Don't let "extras" sway you - prints cost pence each. I tell my couples the best place to print them themselves. Also an online gallery is pretty standard.
    "We have shot shot x amount of weddings" but it could only be as a "second shooter" - helping someone else. A giveaway is lots of detail shots, candid, or the couple looking at someone else.
    If a quote has 1000s of images they are not likely to of been edited, removing blemishes, odd things in the background, shut eyes. It could be 10 shots of everything on camera burst mode. Its better to have 400 but carefully edited shots than 1000 unedited repeats. I have a page on my website showing some photo editing examples.

Weddings often run over time and some charge you for a set hours, so ask if they will charge you extra if you run over.
    Some have a business model where they pay someone else to shoot it for them, these are usually the lowest cost. If this is the case then any photos you see need to be from the person who is going to shoot your wedding.

Those badges on a photographers website "featured in " "recommended by" an so on - you will of seen them, they may have basic listing criteria but those badges mean that they paid to be on the site as a listed supplier.

Multi award winning - may not be what you think it is. The awards is an industry in itself and there are lots of them, with some everyone who pays to enter is almost guaranteed to say they are a finalist.

When searching google make sure you keep scrolling as the first page is usually dominated by people who have paid to be there.
    Hope that helps

• Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 West Midlands
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It’s difficult isn’t it. But you need to identify your style and be able to look at photos and be wowed by them as you’ll be the subject on your wedding day and they’ll be your photos and memories!

Sit down, glass of wine, few photographers albums with your FB and write a list what you like / don’t like and you’ll start seeing themes and trends and also pick out what may not be the best lighting or positioning or focus.
    What area are you in? I’ve got a massive long list I can always send x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics