Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner July 2018

Photographs and USB

MrsHadleyToBe2018, 9 of March of 2017 at 20:33 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi,

has anyone had a usb stick with all their wedding photos on them that the photographer has taken and been able to print them off themselves or via a website at a later date.

if so, have they turned out okay ?

12 replies

Latest activity by Pink Sparkle, 12 of March of 2017 at 11:12
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I got mine like that because it's vmmn with destination weddings. Your photographer wouldn't have time to edit them before you leave. Mine were fine but not all perfect and you don't always get as many. My professional photographer friend always says he spends more time editing photos than taking them. I'm sure professionals n here can give you advise.

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

What problems are you having. Was this from a pro photographer?

• M
    Beginner July 2018
    MrsHadleyToBe2018 ·
    • Hide content

Im not having any problems currently and we are having a professional photographer im just wanting to know if some extended family want some pictures i want to get them printed elsewhere and just wondering if these would still be good quality ?

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

A lot of photographers now, in fact, the larger percentage offer the files on USB with the view to making your own prints and sharing with family.

Resolution is the important thing. If the images are sold as high resolution / full resolution the only issue you might have is sending them across the internet for printing due to the file size.

As a decider it's always more important to have great photos on a USB than average ones in a book.

Pretty much every photographer I know does it this way (USB or Download) so you will be fine.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Ours are being supplied on a password protected website to download and also on USB.

We had our Engagement photos on the website and the quality was fantastic. We've framed a lot of them Smiley smile

If you wish to share them with family, I would suggest either sending them a copy of the USB so that the files are still a good resolution, or sharing the link to the download site if your photographer provides one Smiley smile

X

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Yep you should be fine so long as they are full or high res - often described as such but should be about the same in reality although technically they are different. Also so long as the photographer takes the editing seriously enough to invest in proper equipment for colour control, like a calibrated professional monitor also the images should be edited in a colour neutral environment, which rules out doing it on your lap in the living room watching eastenders.

The only problem you may have is if you email a few images to someone to print because depending on the email that you use it may see the large file and automaticity reduce it and then the person the other end cannot get a good print from it. Best to give it to them on a stick, or a direct download.

• Annelie @ Annelie Eddy Photography
    Annelie @ Annelie Eddy Photography ·
    • Hide content

I would double check with your photographer that the photographs on the USB stick will be high resolution/full size. If they are, you should have no problems printing them and the print quality will be great.

• M
    Beginner July 2018
    MrsHadleyToBe2018 ·
    • Hide content

They are ment to be jpeg images if that helps ?

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

No they have to be high resolution/full resolution, the file sizes will be large but in jpg format you can have low resolution images as well as high resolution. Ask your photographer if they are high resolution/full size.

• M
    Beginner July 2018
    MrsHadleyToBe2018 ·
    • Hide content

When i asked her this is what i got ?

When purchasing the USB package clients are given a JPEG image with full copyright although the quality of the image to print will not be as good as the lab I send mine away too. I hope this helps

i just dont want us to not have good photos for ourselves if i made my own album

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

You should be ok, what she is saying ( and what I will also say ) is that she has done extensive tests with a lab that she uses and has found that her out put and what the lab sends back are a good match, it may cost a little bit more but she knows that from week to week and from image size to size the colour match will be the same - you don't want your dusky pink bridesmaids dresses looking cerise. But beware if you send your images to bonko lab she is not responsible for the dodgy colours.

If the editing has been done properly on professional equipment in reality there should be no problem in sending your images anywhere to be printed.

Many years ago when I was 16 I worked in pro labs printing and you had to take temperatures of the chemicals and run through colour swatch tests and measure the colour by hand - it was a very skilled job but nowdays a lab in asda will be connected directly to fuji and everything is controlled from there with regard to chemistry, every time a photo go's through the chemistry the chem gets weakened and so will need to be replenished by the exact amount, also each batch of paper has to be matched and compensated for so that it matches the last one - the same gos for each width of paper - giving different size photos so that a 6x4 will match a 12x18. A cheaper lab may not do the close colour matching and also use thinner consumer grade paper.

You will probably not notice anything but if you do then what your photographer is saying is that it is the labs output and not her images that will be at fault.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

As a way to rule out issues ask if they are full resolution. Which means as big as possible.

Some photographers versions of high resolution might be big enough to print on a 5x7 but not on an 8x10.

• P
    Beginner October 2016
    Pink Sparkle ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I got my photos on a USB stick. They were full res images and we just took them to a photo shop and and printed them there. They looked great and we were able to put them in frames for the grandparents. Just need to pick which ones we want printed for ourselves.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics