Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I
Beginner October 2013

photography cancellation question

Irisbride, 12 of September of 2012 at 10:32 Posted on Planning 0 8

I have provisionally booked a photographer but haven't paid any money yet. The photographer has sent me a contract to sign and reading through I have noticed it says this :

"In the event of cancellation by the company, or in the unlikely event of total photographic failure (although reshoots may be arranged if practicable)- the company will not be responsible for costs in order to stage re-shoots. The company's liability shall be limited to a full refund of any deposits and fees paid."

I don't know anything about this kind of thing, but is this normal? I thought photographers generally had special insurance to cover things like this?

x

8 replies

Latest activity by bec84, 13 of September of 2012 at 18:05
  • bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Seems like a standard clause as its very similar to what we have in ours. So for example, If they can't deliver the wedding photography as promised, they will give a refund but they won't pay to re-hire the venue/suits or redo the flowers if you choose a reshoot x

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

It's a standard clause but most of the time your wedding insurance would cover this I think.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Basically if the photographer cancels their liability will be limited to a full refund.

Standard contractual stuff.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our own wedding insurance covered the costs of re-shooting in case of non-delivery or unacceptable product*. Suspect this is fairly standard, therefore Togs don't need to cover themselves.

*Unacceptable in the technical sense - marked photos etc. Not just if you think the Tog didn't catch your good side....

• K
    Beginner August 2013
    kayzz ·
    • Hide content

Our photographer says he carries 3 memeory cards in case of this happening

He does have a clause that states if he cant make the wedding due to no fault of his own then he pays back what weve paid but we cant go for compensation etc which seems fair

• F
    fodenphotography ·
    • Hide content

It is absolutely standard terms in wedding photographers' contracts... so nothing to worry about in my opinion. It is worth asking what kind of contingency plans they offer, i.e. what happens should they fall ill on the day, and do they have back-up camera equipment... It's highly unlikely for anything to go wrong, but we certainly make strong contingency plans for out clients... all the best! Smiley smile

Matt- Foden Photography

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

Peter

• Bob - An Image For You
    Bob - An Image For You ·
    • Hide content

I don't have this clause in my contract as my insurance includes PI and will cover for events like this. * It could be that the TOG does not have a decent cover on his policy.

For peace of mind, TOGs' (and VOGs') insurance should have the following cover:

PL = Public Liability

PI + Professional Indemnity

EL = Employer's Liability (if they have an assistant (non-relative or spouse) or an employee helping them)

* Check that your TOG or VOG has valid insurance cover in place before signing any contracts with them

Regards,

Bob

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

We have that clause Bob even though we have cover, so it doesn't necessarily mean they don't have decent cover in place.

Its a standard clause Cinderellabella x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics