Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner May 2016

Photography costs

BrideMMD, 8 of October of 2015 at 12:08 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hi all,
How much is everyone paying for their photographer please and what are you getting for the cost.
My friend is a photographer and she's offered us what I think is an amazing deal but just want to get some examples so I can compare and show my OH.
Thanks in advance!

20 replies

Latest activity by hollyhollytree, 11 of October of 2015 at 11:07
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I'm marrying abroad so can't help you however I know of people on here who have had problems with receiving their photos after using 'friends' so can I suggest that if you go that route get a proper contract of what you're getting and when etc even if you're paying mates rate.

Good look with finding someone whose work you love in budget Smiley smile

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

We're paying £800 for photos edited and given to us on a USB, from Birdal prep to first dance xx

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    kay_ ·
    • Hide content

My photographer was £1,145 on promotion for up to 8 hours coverage, and I've opted for a second photographer for £300 extra, so the total is £1,445. We get all the hi-res edited images on a USB afterwards. I'm getting married on the border of Berkshire/Hampshire (not sure if area affects prices?). I found most photographers started from £900+, up to more than £2,000 for award winning/outstanding ones. Hope this helps!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Never judge a photographer by their price when choosing your wedding tog. Its what they deliver that is important.

(disclaimer: I know that every couple may not have the budget for what they would like)

Peter

• K
    Beginner July 2016
    kay_ ·
    • Hide content

I'd agree with Peter's point too, make sure you look at samples of their work. Not just a few pictures from one wedding, but whole albums to make sure they're not just showing off their best shots Smiley smile Every photographer is different and has a different style, so make sure that you're going with a photographer that suits you.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

Mine was a great deal at £750

usb, disk, photo book, Photo booth for an hour. We have her for 10 hours.

the price was cheap as we managed to get an early payment discount. I think she was about £1300-£1400 (which is still good)

my mum at first wanted me to use her friend who was charging £2500 for just 60 photos in an album this was also discounted of £500. His pictures are amazing though but were to "posh" for us.

so can range a great deal depending on photographer.

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrs-Riley ·
    • Hide content

We actually found our photographers here on Hitched! They're a husband and wife team (so we're lucky enough to get two photographers for the price of one) and live not far from us.

Our package includes a minimum of 600 photos, both in black and white and color on a USB stick and then use of a white screen photo booth and props. They'll be with us from about 11am to 7pm.

The cost of the package was advertised at £450, but we got a £50 discount for finding them through this website Smiley smile

Definitely study their portfolio's very closely - we had some shockers with other people we looked at. One lady turned up at our house with no portfolio at all - referred us to her website (which had about 10 photos on...!) and another gentleman didn't show because he was hungover!

The main thing is to find the right style of photographer, within your budget. Price isn't always a reflection of quality.

• MartinC Photography
    MartinC Photography ·
    • Hide content

I noticed this today in the Scottish Wedding Directory census 2015. It basically says the average price is about £1000.

But as others have said, don't go off price. Go off their work. Ideally you should love their photos more than their price. So unless she's a professional wedding photographer it may be better to suggest they are better to attend as a friend so they can party. Because being the photographer is a full day job and they won't be able to enjoy at all.

One big mistake I see are 'photographers' who are very good at what they do. Eg. Landscape, commercial, studio and it's assumed that because they have the camera they can shoot weddings. The issue is that in most other forms of photography, if you mess up the shot, you just try again.

Wedding photography is unique in this way. Wedding photographers have to nail those key moments first time, every time. We can't restage the emotion of the groom crying as you come down the aisle, we can't spend an hour perfecting one shot. Experienced wedding photographers are used to being up against the clock and working under pressure.

Hope that helps

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

I'm paying 1250, she doesn't have a set number of hours but will be there for getting ready shots and stay at least until some dancing has happened. ? We get a minimum of 400 shots (I think) on USB. From the quotes I got I think this is a pretty standard price for a photographer who is good and experienced, but not the absolute top (I also got some waaaay higher quotes!).

• B
    Beginner May 2016
    BrideMMD ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,
    Thank you for your prices, tips and advice. We'll arrange to meet up with her and look over her work. She is a professional photographer who does it as a business so I'm not too worried about that. We used to work together and I always said I wanted a photographer I know rather than a stranger.
    Thanks again, really helpful x

• A
    Beginner October 2015
    AlmostMrsS ·
    • Hide content

1,800 for full day of photos, 600 edited pics, USB and Online log in area for family

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

£1150 for 10 hours. Includes all photos in colour and black and white on cd, including copyright, online gallery, a4 hard bound proof book and an a4 30 page photo album.

Total bargain in my viewAND the photos are amazing too.

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

Got a total bargain for ours £350 for full day with all photos edited and also a 2 hr photo booth style thing he does which looks awesome on his wedding albums.

Found it super hard to find someone with the style I like which is quite edited almost instragram style as I don't like the natural style. They normally cost the earth for this type of style but I got a photographer who only been doing wedding for a couple years and looking to drum up business.

Found him on a deal for wowcher it only covered to April 2016 but I cheekily asked could he do it in June for same price and he agreed. Sometimes worth being a bit cheeky and asking.

Just looked on his website this month and he now charging £800 for full day and then extra £200 for photobooth. He getting alot more work now as well due to wowcher so glad we booked him when we did. Seems a lovely guy and we getting some engagement shots to get to know him for £50 nearer the wedding.

• Neil Gratton Photography
    Beginner August 2015
    Neil Gratton Photography ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure that there are regional differences, but I recently researched all the wedding photographers I could find online around Devon, Somerset and Cornwall. Of the roughly-half who published their prices, for a full day (8-10 hours) by one photographer with a few hundred digital images, decent quality photography, and no prints, the typical range was £1000-£1500 - although a handful included some prints and/or a second photographer in that price.

There were a handful in the price range of £250-450 (I'm guessing at that price they're either not using photography as their main source of income; also they often didn't cover the whole day and I'm guessing from online portfolios many are not doing much post-processing on the images. I expect to do about two hours of editing for one hour of wedding shooting - and I couldn't afford to do that at those prices). (Or perhaps as in the case of RachD above they may be working at a loss to improve their portfolio and reputation)

There were also quite a few in the £700-£1000 range, who sometimes didn't have much to distinguish them from the £1,000 to £1,500 set. This is where I currently price myself - largely because I'm relatively new to wedding photography and while I have the ability to do the job well I don't yet have a large portfolio to provide evidence for it. I suspect a fair number of other photographers at this price range are in the same boat.

A small handful charge £1,750 - £2,500 around here, and as far as I can judge from their websites offer very good or great photos, good service and their price sometimes already includes expensive albums.

The photographer who covered my own wedding at the end of August has a non-photography full-time job and doesn't expect to make a profit on photography - covering his expenses and planned camera/lens purchases. However he shoots quite a few weddings each season, did a job I was certainly happy with, and charged a very reasonable price in the 'budget' range I covered above - so you CAN get good results in that price range.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

We are paying £1090 for our photography package which includes the engagement shoot with all images on a USB, full day coverage including bridal and groom preparation and until about 10.30-11pm, all images in black and white on a USB in a presentation box, online gallery and a highlights video set to music.

I found it quite difficult to find a reasonably priced photographer who was good. Ours was recommended by the venue and I just love his work. I also stalk him on FB and his wedding photos are amazeballs x

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

And all photos in colour too x

• YellowDiamond
    Beginner July 2016
    YellowDiamond ·
    • Hide content

Hey ours is £1700 for 12 hours, the editing, and an online album with 200 pics for others to see plus a disc of everything for us xx

• MrsPowellToBe
    Beginner May 2016
    MrsPowellToBe ·
    • Hide content

Ahhhh we're also having Binky! When is your wedding?

• hollyhollytree
    Beginner September 2016
    hollyhollytree ·
    • Hide content

£1050 for whole day, two photographers, editing and a USB of photos.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics