Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Cazpot88
Curious August 2025 Greater Manchester

Photography payments

Cazpot88, 20 of February of 2024 at 18:04 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 10
Hey beauts, need some advice

We found a photographer on Facebook who charge different amounts depending on how many hours you wantThey've already sent me their bank details for the deposit, which is £99. That's fine I'm happy to pay a deposit where there's a contractBut I've noticed they won't send the booking form until you've paid the deposit, and there's multiple payments, I've got a screenshot of the last emailAnd they haven't replied when I asked about public liability insurance
I've got a bad feeling
*I accidentally pressed send on the last one Photography payments 1

10 replies

Latest activity by Cazpot88, 22 of March of 2024 at 11:07
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I don't see an issue with making multiple payments in and of itself, although it seems a bit of a hassle, but I definitely wouldn't sign anything/pay anything until seeing a contract! You need to know exactly what you are getting/not getting before signing up to anything.

Do they have a website as well as a Facebook page? Wanting you to make a payment before letting you know the Terms & Conditions, not answering questions about insurance, 'typically' asking for payment instalments around Christmas and New Year... I'm wondering if they are a hobby photographer trying to look more professional than they really are.

• Cazpot88
    Cazpot88 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've looked, but it always brings me to the Facebook one
    I emailed them this morning asking about a contract, but they replied that it'll be typed up once payment of the deposit has been confirmed by the bank
    I dunno, I don't have a good feeling about them, I'd rather pay more for a photographer and get better quality photosI think they might be, and I'm suspicious of how low the prices are
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The lack of website, the insistence on payment before seeing a contract (what do you do if there is something in the contract you're not happy about? We had to ditch one photographer because of a clause in her contract that we couldn't agree to), the low cost... I'd walk away from this one.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

As romantic27135 says too many warning signs. And just each one on their own should be enough to walk away. Not sending the contract unless you have paid - is the biggest one. Best to also find someone who has a proper website not just Facebook.

I don't base my prices around times because weddings do not always go exactly to schedule, you need to see what the contract says about how much you may have to pay for extra time on the day.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you for the mention - I was typing as you were typing and didn't see it.

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Run away now! There are too many red flags, I work in commercial contract law and this is very alarming business practice. You should only ever pay a deposit upon signing of a contract and normally you need to pay within 14 days as you have consumer rights protection for cessation or cool off time. I can pretty much bet they are not set up as a company and registered on companies house and will have no business bank accounts or insurance. This one seems me to be someone who does it as a side gig and is not reputable.

We see all too often on here people have issues when they dont turn up, dont deliver the photos so it is important to really research a decent photographer and review their terms before signing, Agree with RGS, bill is the guru on this and if he says this is ringing alarm bells then walk away.

• Cazpot88
    Cazpot88 ·
    • Hide content
    Hey beauts, thank you all for your comments, they've been so helpful. We haven't gone with them, feel we've had a lucky escape to be honest
    Thanks so much once again 🥰
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hope you manage to find a photographer you love very soon.

• Hampshire Wedding Photographer
    Hampshire
    Hampshire Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

Most photographers (including myself) usually take about 20% (sometimes up to 50%) off the total package price prior to the wedding, the remaining is then due 30 days before the wedding, similar to the venue. Very rarely on the actual wedding date itself - imagine going to up to the Bride and Groom on the night and having to ask them to transfer you the money.... It's not unusual for the instalments tbh, I've seem multiple businesses do this, especially helpful if on a budget. Also, no money should be passed to anyone without signing a contract first. Hope that helps.

• Cazpot88
    Cazpot88 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That does make sense, we've since booked a photographer, she asked for 25% as a deposit, and the rest of the balance is due 6 weeks before
    We signed the contract before we paid
    Thank you for your help, and thank you to everyone else xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics