Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner October 2016

Photos before the ceremony

Galbear, 26 of August of 2016 at 14:27 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi all,

As the post title suggests - H2B and I are now considering having our photos taken before the ceremony to save time later on, my makeup will be freshly applies and gives us more time to enjoy our arrival drinks.

We are getting married in a church, having the photos at local National Trust gardens (5-10 mins away) and then heading to a hotel for the reception. Our three options are:

- Ceremony, guest photos at church, bridal party photos at the gardens, photos of just us at the gardens and then heading to the hotel to catch the end of arrival drinks

- Bridal party photos at the gardens, photos of just us at the gardens, ceremony, guest photos at the church, then arrival drinks at the hotel

- Picture of just us at the gardens in the morning, ceremony, guest photos at the church, back to the gardens for bridal party pictures then all heading off to the hotel for arrival drinks.

Originally we were set on Option 1 as we hadn't thought of anything else but now are keen on Option 2 but as I am logistically trying to fit in timings before the ceremony, I'm wondering if maybe Option 3 would be the best compromise.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? And anyone that has had their pictures before the ceremony, what did you think? Did it feel strange not waiting until the church to see each other? Advantages, disadvantages etc

(Not looking forward to breaking it to my MIL, she is so traditional - she was so put out that H2B and I picked out bridesmaid dresses together and he has already seen my veil (shock, horror) - if I tell her we are seeing eachother before the ceremony she may spontaneously combust!!)

4 replies

Latest activity by Artemis Fox Photography, 26 of August of 2016 at 21:52
  • G
    Beginner October 2016
    Galbear ·
    • Hide content

Okay so Option 3 is scratched - our booking with the gardens does not allow us re-entry so back to option 1 or 2.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure you can get some amazing first look photos in the gardens. We travelled together so I had a few before, during, and after then (as I married in the dark) some in daylight the next day.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I would advise

Ceremony

Guest photos at Church

Then the two of you and B-Maids-Ushers - Best Man to the gardens

Then arrive half way through the drinks reception, I say half way because you will leave the Church first and by the time everyone has faffed about - walked to their cars you will almost be at the gardens, start with shots of the two of you whilst the maids and chaps turn up, and then crack on with those as soon as they arrive. Then off the the reception having hardly missed any drinks time.

But make sure that your photographer is experienced in group photos otherwise you will over run at the Church and run out of drinks reception time so that there then will be no time left when you arrive.

Also make sure that your photographer knows the gardens so that no opportunities or time is wasted.

• M
    Beginner July 2017
    Much_ado_about_weddings ·
    • Hide content

Personally I love the 'first look' and photos before the ceremony. My brother and his American wife did that and it was absolutely gorgeous; more meaningful, in my opinion, than seeing each other for the first time in the ceremony, as they were actually able to express their emotion (ie run towards each other, scream, cry etc). I'm going to do that, and then have wedding party photos after the 'first look' and THEN the ceremony.

However, it's not to everyone's taste. I know a few people may feel slightly cheated by knowing that there was already a 'first look' and photo session before the ceremony. Some will probably think that makes the ceremony a little fake, as the groom traditionally sees the bride for the first time then. Additionally, you may regret missing that moment when your groom first sees you from the end of the aisle for the first time.

However, for me I know it is the right choice and the first look will be more meaningful I think than it would be in the ceremony. Plus I'd probably have ruined my makeup by the photos anyway if I waited! I think it's something that shouldn't be done only for practicalities but because you genuinely prefer that option and think it will make your wedding day more special, not less.

• A
    Artemis Fox Photography ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a traditionalist and at the end of the day you can do what you feel is best for your day but for me I would like to keep that part of the day as it is. Walking down the aisle and seeing your partner fo the 1st time.

In photography terms. One of my favourite parts of the day are the nerves of the bride and groom when the bride is walking down the aisle and the look that they both give each other when they see each other/turn around for the 1st time. It's a priceless and timeless moment.

I'm sure you'll have an amazing day regardless.

Good luck.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics