Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

WelshTotty
Beginner December 2014

Photos for those getting married in a registry office

WelshTotty, 25 of June of 2008 at 21:53 Posted on Planning 0 10

Found this online earlier telling of whats allowed and not allowed when taking photos blah blah.

https://www.theregister.com/2008/06/23/photography_law/

Seems as of last week youre no longer allowed to have your photo taken signing the register together if youve just got wed in a registry office.

News to me, and not widely known I shouldnt think

10 replies

Latest activity by Civil Ceremonies, 26 of June of 2008 at 19:53
  • Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

"As of last week, the government has forbidden couples getting married in registry offices from having their photograph taken as they sign the wedding register."

Hmm this is interesting as |I am not sure how enforceable it is. An act from 1948 and a subsequent data protection act in the 1990s made it clear that photographing the detail in the register was improper although photographing the signing, as long as the text wasn't visible did not controvene these acts....So I am not sure about the exact wording of this new directive and would like to see the document in full. The link was a bit too vague and lightweight on this detail. Indeed, due to public and photographer lobbying, registrars have become a bit more easy going on the whole event...Indeed in my home county of Herts, they are very liberal and have no major restrictions(apart from not directly shooting the register itself....

• chicken82
    Beginner May 2009
    chicken82 ·
    • Hide content

why on earth would that be? - i bloomin well hope that its not accurate!!!

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

I remember the photos we had taken of 'signing the register' werent of the actual register, it was a fake one, just for photographic purposes (this was nearly 5 years ago) As I said, I came accross this whilst looking for something else, just suprised me!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah...some do put in a fake register, although if you want to shoot this "au naturale" you would get the real one....the acts state not photographing the detail in the register(data protection), although not the register itself...and that is the key element. In my experience, different registrars read the rules differently.

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmm yep I suppose its open to interpretation!

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

We photographed a registry office ceremony this past Saturday, and the registrar said the only restriction I had was that I couldn't photograph the actual signing. But when 16 of their friends and relatives stood and started shooting, I looked over at him, and he shrugged his shoulders, so I took a few shots too. He and I both knew that he couldn't stop all those people, so it was pointless to restrict me. I was being a good girl, LOL.

• Katamari
    Beginner August 2008
    Katamari ·
    • Hide content

This is what our registrar has said - seems a little odd, but its the only restriction they have placed so I'm not too fussed!

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

Nothing has changed - it has been like this for a while

We have a word with the registrar in advance, and there is never a problem. We say "we will make sure that there is no discernable writing in the finished photograph"

The registrars allways respect our professional approach, and never say no. Often a blank book is popped out too

If there is good communication, tis will never become a problem

Richard King

• dreammachine
    dreammachine ·
    • Hide content

The major problem seems to be with copyright. The crown copyright symbol is protected as well as data from other couples which may be visible.

Most registrars don't know the real reasons, so become jobsworths without knowing why.

• London Photographer
    London Photographer ·
    • Hide content

Interesting, I had always been curious as to why this was restricted. I suppose it makes more sense not to have information from others recorded and reproduced.

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

This report is absolutely not true and just goes to prove you shouldn't believe everything you read.

There is no law against taking pictures of the signing of the register. However local registration services are able to make their own policies with regard to what they are prepared to accept.

Many districts have taken the decision not to allow photographing of the original register entry. This is not data protection related but simple good manners. There are 4 register entries on display; two on each page. This means that when you sign the register it is feasible that 3 other couples details are 'on show'. This information gives names, addresses, marital status etc. The question is if another couple had photos taken of them signing the register and that photo reproduced your details, would you be happy with that. I don't think I would.

Photographers are well used to taking pictures of a pretend signing that you really wouldn't know wasn't the real page.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics