Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Pianist during wedding breakfast - thoughts?

16 April, 2012 at 22:10 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hello All ?

I am very excited because I am about to book the first thing for our wedding (other than the venue). I have found a great pianist local to us who is going to play during the ceremony and for the reception drinks. I had my heart set on having the Glasgow Love Theme piece of music from Love Actually as I walked down the aisle, it wasn't on the repertoire list so I emailed to ask if she could do it and she sent me sample back of her playing it. It's so beautiful, I nearly cried. Anyway I'm going off topic, my questions is has anyone been to a wedding where they had live music in the background during the wedding breakfast? It is not very much extra money for this lady to stay on so I am considering it, but it is not somehting I have experienced before. I think it is lovely idea to have some background music, but I don't want people to think that they can't chat etc... Thoughts?

12 replies

Latest activity by martinkab@hotmail.com, 18 April, 2012 at 16:51
  • germaki
    Beginner October 2013
    germaki ·
    • Hide content

I'm considering having a harpist play at the ceremony,drinks and throughout the wedding breakfast-I just think it will add a bit more of a lovely atmosphere so would be interested to see what other people think.

I think a pianist will be really nice, and it's something I think will go down well.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Yay if they will be playing on a grand piano (or a mini piano that looks like a grand piano as i have seen before) however if its is someone playing a keyboard not such a fan.

• Y
    Beginner April 2012
    YeahYeahYeah ·
    • Hide content

I think it's a good idea. We are having a jazz band playing through our drinks reception and wedding breakfast. I like something a bit different?

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I am having a pianist for the wedding breakfast, he will use his own digital piano. I figure if he sounds good then nobody will be too fussed what the piano looks like. I wanted a white baby grand but changed my mind when I saw the price!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Oh sorry I didnt mean the difference in looks there is also a very big difference in sound (IMO) but then if you are happy with the sound of the digital then go for it! Just check what piano the pianist was using when they recorded their demos.

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Okay, looks as though I'm playing the baddie but I don't see the point? Everyone will have loads to talk about and the drinks will be flowing, so why add music to the mix?

I would wait and see how the rest of your planning goes. If the rest of your planning goes to budget and you can afford to keep the pianist on then go for it, but if you're having a big (ish) wedding breakfast, 70+ then I really wouldn't bother because not everyone will be able to hear and I doubt many people will be listening.

Sorry to be the misery guts xxx

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

We are playing instrumental swing and jazz through the breakfast. Would have loved to have a lie musician doing it -but costs prohibited really. I think it is better to have some background music. Otherwise quite large rooms full ofpeople eating and drinking can somehow become quite echoy and a bit like a school canteen - IYSWIM. Thats my personal feeling and experience anyhow. So if you are having them anyway I say go for the live musician!

• B
    Beginner May 2012
    bethbailey2b ·
    • Hide content

Im with vintage. i dont see the point. i think it is lovely for the ceremony and drinks reception, and i am having a harp play these times, but for teh breakfast its a time to chill, relax and chat. its extra expense for a time where you can just play some backghroun music on ipod/cd etc. it is, after all just background music and you dont want it to be the focal point of teh meal.

• M
    Dedicated February 2022
    martinkab@hotmail.com ·
    • Hide content

I've got a chap called Simon Jordan who is playing violin for the ceremony and drinks reception, then piano throughout the wedding breakfast. He's bringing his own piano :-) Live music was one of the first things on my list, especially for the ceremony.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics