Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Miss-b
Beginner August 2016

Pick a seat, not a side.. Thoughts?

Miss-b, 13 of August of 2014 at 14:51 Posted on Planning 0 19

What is everyones opinion on the 'Pick a seat not a side' sign at a wedding ceremony? It'll be a civil ceremony, not a church.

I like the idea as 99% of our families won't of met until at the wedding, and we are quite lucky that we are pretty even with numbers from both sides of the family.

Do people think its a bit cheesy? Good idea? Or just a potential for chaos?

Thanks xx

19 replies

Latest activity by Smithette2b, 16 of August of 2014 at 07:18
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I love it and had thought about it for us. I think it can help avoid confusion on the day! Just rememebr to reserve seats at the front for your bridal party.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I love it, but only because ours is going to be tongue in cheek: "Pick a seat, not a side, either way it's for the Bride"

• K
    Beginner October 2014
    katie80uk ·
    • Hide content

I been to 2 weddings where they had this. One of them it just caused chaos and everyone just kinda stood about not knowing what to do. And then at the other one, the closer family ended up stuck at the back when they probably should of been more at the front of the room.

It is probably best to let people know where they are sitting, stops confusion and most of the time people prefer to be told where they are sitting. Some people just dont want to think for themselves lol

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Love it. I am slightly biased though, as my OH's family won't be there, so no sides for us

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

I love yours SW!

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

We are combining tradition and modern! we will have reserved seats for the main family, grooms party and bridal party. Then we are asking the ushers to tell everyone else to sit where they like. We hzvd an usher from each side and those with reserved seats will be informed beforehand, so hopefully it will work!

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Love this!

I think it's a great idea.

• T
    Beginner May 2015
    trewsie ·
    • Hide content

Not really sure how it can cause chaos as surely you just sit down!!

I may be biased though as we are doing it. Front two rows reserved for the bridal party, M & D and probably people doing readings so they are close to the front. Everyone else is on a first come first served basis.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've never been shown where to sit at a wedding I just sit down. ?

• K
    Beginner October 2014
    katie80uk ·
    • Hide content

I been shown where to sit in a few weddings but maybe depends on the size of the wedding

I am only telling people where to sit because my family are a bit shy and laid back so would all sit at the back and then my partners family will be pushing to the front lol :-(

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

Our usher is telling the guest which side to sit too. He'll love it that he's telling people where to go.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea but I suspect in practice people will just sit with the people they already know anyway and so segregate themselves naturally.

• KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

At my first wedding (never really know how to say that), we didn't bother having 'sides' and we didn't bother with a sign. People just sat where they wanted or where there was space. It really didn't matter and didn't really need pointing out.

• xoxoxo2017
    Beginner May 2017
    xoxoxo2017 ·
    • Hide content

We will be reserving the front 3 rows for immediate family & bridal party, but everyone can sit where they want.

• DeeBee33
    Dedicated November 2014
    DeeBee33 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is beyond amazing. I have a huge family and my WTB doesn't so I may have to do a crafty steal here!

• cosmictrout
    Beginner August 2014
    cosmictrout ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I also think this is inspired :-)

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Our ushers (if we ever get round to appointing anyone) or the wedding co-ordinator at the venue, will simply tell people to take a seat wherever they like. The front row will be reserved for the bridal party and those involved in readings etc, but other than that, no rules. As most of our guests are friends and not family, I think it will be fairly relaxed, which is what we want.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

We will be doing this Smiley smile I love the idea!

We will reserve the seats at the front for the appropriate Bridal Party, parents etc. but the rest of the guests can parks their bums wherever they want!

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Sarah_88 ·
    • Hide content

We are not having ushers, we are reserving first 2 rows on each side of the ailse for family/ bride/groom party, and on third row 2 chairs for my friend who is doing a reading. Apart from that, people can sit where they like

• S
    Beginner November 2014
    Smithette2b ·
    • Hide content

We're having this because a) I love it and b) oh has a very small family compared to mine so if people thought they had to sit on the brides side it would look rather odd, lol!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics