Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2016

Picnic?

Lannyx3, 2 of February of 2014 at 21:47 Posted on Planning 0 11

So after 4 marvellously long years including buying a home and two beautiful children, my OH finally proposed on Xmas Eve! Wooop.

We have chosen the venue and date 16th May 2016! The venue is an Old Vicarage with stunning grounds and even a little stream. I am wanting to arrange a picnic wedding breakfast instead of your typical sit down meal, Its not really us as a couple and we don't want to spend lots of money on food that us and most of the guests wont particularly enjoy as such, even though I am sure the catering will be gorgeous. Another reason is it would be such a shame to let the grounds and the lovely setting go to waste.

My questions are:

1) Do I buy picnic blankets - (Have found a supplier who can personalise) or do I source some hay bales, if the venue allows? I personally wouldn't mind sitting on a blanket as a guest but I know not all folks are like me Smiley smile

2) If I made a seating plan (as such) and asked the guest to pick sandwich filling and etc and placed the baskets on the allocated blanket with their own mini picnic or do I provide them all with a box ( a pretty one, not a party bag lookalikey) and set up a buffet in the marquee (where the evening reception would be held) and they can go and fill their box up etc?

3) My plan for the picnic would be

- sandwiches

- mixed fruit punnit : strawberries, blueberrys, raspberrys, grapes

- bottle of pink and yellow lemonade - my colour scheme

- Personalised cupcake

- Chocolate lolly ( I do it for a job so have to be in there somewhere Smiley winking)

- Crisps of choice - Fancy ones Smiley smile

Can you think of anything else as I am struggling after that!

Thanks Smiley smile

11 replies

Latest activity by MrsShep, 15 of September of 2014 at 18:01
  • *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome to Hitched

My first thoughts:

What would you do if the weather is bad?

1- Personally not a huge fan of sitting on the floor for long periods I like to be comfortable so seating of some description would be preferred plus I am not sure how I would feel doing this in my finery (regardless of sitting on a blanket)

2- I would set up a picnic hamper with all the food inside rather than a buffet, If you go for the buffet people may stand and graze at the buffet rather than sit down as a picnic. (I would particularly if you did not have chairs) I don't think its particularly necessary to even get people to pre order fillings if you stick with your typical crowd pleasers

3- You could have some savory quiche/pie/pasties, scotch eggs, sausage rolls, mini sausages, cheese straws.

• miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hello and welcome to hitched ?

WHS^^^

1) I think that any older guests would definitely appreciate having something to sit on, and I personally am terrible at sitting cross legged as not very flexible so would be a bit uncomfortable sitting on the floor all afternoon! A mix of bales and blankets might be nice though?

2) I would say go for the buffet; that way it is less organisation for you and people can choose what they want ;-)

3) The pink and yellow lemonade sounds super cute ❤️

You could get personalised stickers from somewhere like Etsy, something like this..

A selection of biscuits and cheese could be a nice addition.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Completely agree.

Unfortunately we live in a country where the weather is unpredictable, even if it's not raining on your wedding day there is a chance the ground could be soggy from previous rain.

I also wouldn't want to sit on the ground for too long. My knees are terrible and the thought of sitting on the floor & then having to heave myself back up with my creaky knees whilst wearing a nice outfit gives me painful, ungraceful visions. Sorry. I am aware than my joints are old before their time but there might be other people at your wedding who have achey bones too.

Why don't you look to hire a village hall type thing and decorate it with bunting etc but still do picnic style food?

Oh and welcome to Hitched!! Sorry I couldn't have a more positive answer for you.

• excitedbridetobe2015
    Beginner June 2015
    excitedbridetobe2015 ·
    • Hide content

I also agree with the weather issue and the sitting on the floor. Have you considered picnic benches? You would still have the relaxed picnic vibe your aiming for and if the weather was bad you could take them into the marquee. x

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome! This sounds like a nice idea. Firstly I'd be really concerned about the weather. Would you have a back up plan of an indoor space to use?

As a wedding guest I'd have no problem sitting on the floor (I end up there when I've been drinking anyway!). I'd much rather that than hay bales which are really itchy! You need to consider options for those who can't get on the floor or wouldn't want to!

What are your timimings, are you having the picnic as an alternative to a wedding breakfast, and having a reception somewhere that carries on into the evening with music and dancing etc? Are you providing more food in the evening? I'd be starving after only having some sandwitches and crisps during the day!

'Novelty' ideas like this aren't always the economical option - it will will soon add up!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Agree with everyone else re the weather - it has the potential to completely ruin the meal.

And if you really want to do it I think you need to be a bit more ambitious with the food, the list you have given is what I would provide at a children's party and not substantial enough for the main meal in a really long day. How about a side of salmon, really good pork pies, frittata, a few different salads, bread and a nice terrine, pate, charcuterie, cheese, potted shrimps, a tart. Brownies, meringues, choc dipped strawberries, truffles.

Not many people over the age of 35 are going to enjoy eating their dinner sitting on the ground.

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

Hi also agree with everyone else.

Could you nit do a Sharing meal instead? Have baskets and bowls full of food so still relaxed but more comfortable?

• R
    Beginner December 2015
    RomanticIvoryDecor168 ·
    • Hide content

We're planning a wedding picnic for next year and your list of foods is a great starting point. I'm thinking about delivering large picnic hampers to each table to encourage interaction between guests. The hampers are going to be pretty full with savoury foods (main course) and I would like to bring the sweet stuff (dessert) out separately. Any thoughts on what might be a novel/fun way to do this? My only ideas so far are 1. On tiered cake stands or 2. Having desserts in glass jars presented on pretty trays.

Thank you

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

I know this is a few months old, but see you are not getting married till 2016.

I'm also getting wed 2016 and also have a picnic style wedding but we will not be sitting on the floor. I guess you could call it a posh picnic.

we are not the type to have 3 course sit down. We are to common for that lol.

we will be having rows of tables under marquee ( in case the English weather turns on us)

with biodegradable wooden plates and forks etc.. with individual Kraft boxes with sandwiches. I found some nice posh sandwiches on marther Stuarts website. Not your ever day butty. Home made quiche posh sausage roles and crisps in paper sweet bags. Any wet filling will be in nice little pots for guest to put in their sandwiches. (Pink and yellow also happens to be my colour theme) we will then lay out on the tables salads coleslaw pasta and all the kind of stuff for guests to chose from.

Here are a couple of pictures of what my vision is.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome!!

Depending on the ages of your guests, just a blanket may not be enough for say, and elderly relative, who may like somewhere to lean back. However, you could get some hay bails, cover those with blankets and lean cushions against them so when the guests sit on the floor, they can lean back comfortably! Unless you hire a picnic table or two (they are not too pricey) or benches with backs for those you know would struggle getting up and down off of the floor.

I think if they filled their box up, it would be best just to offer an array of sarnies, rather them getting to pick one, as they may forget and someone may end up with the wrong one! I think if pre-picking is the safest and cheapest option, then organise their picnic in a little box before hand with their names on.

I think the picnic is a lovely idea! You could add cocktail sausages, or cold sausage rolls, mini quiches or tarts, breadsticks & a range of dips, baby bells, mini pork pies etc.

Just make sure you have a bad weather back-up plan!!

HTH.

• U
    Beginner June 2014
    user12345 ·
    • Hide content

We just had a picnic wedding, half on rugs, half on tables (with gingham table runners!)...we bought hampers and filled them with cheese and bread that we'd spent years tasting. We just did strawberries and cream for dessert... IT was a completely DIY wedding...and we now have a house full of picnic hampers and rugs and other accessories to sell - message me if you need any!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

A colleague was telling me about a wedding he went to where they sat on picnic benches and had picnic baskets with cheeses, fresh bread, nice meats like salamis, hams, etc, which sounds fab! I would have loved something like that. I would want things like olives, maybe sausage rolls etc, you could have cute little cupcakes or even little posh choccies, or just have the cake as dessert. Have fun planning it, it sounds great!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics