Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Buzzee
Beginner January 2012

Pimp my bathroom!

Buzzee, 24 November, 2012 at 17:02 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 28

So, all being well we should be completing on our sale/purchase in 2 weeks (after a 5 month long conveyencing process - argh!)

the new house is rather dated, but in good condition. Long term we'll get a new bathroom but in the meantime we need to spend money on new carpets/kitchen.

So, i'm wondering if there are any interim ideas to make this bathroom look better! i think once the walls are painted, clutter cleared and a new blind put up it will help massively. What colours do you think would look good - i think the suite is an off white/grey colour rather than white!

Plus my main issue are the tiles - the random patterned ones dotted around are really dated and will limit what colour scheme we go with!

does anything exist to cover them up!? from memory, the patterned bit is raised so putting a tile paint or sticker over them will prob look a bit naff! Or can you remove tiles from the middle of the wall and replace them with say a plain bright contrasting colour?!

any other ideas?!

28 replies

Latest activity by Kjay, 25 November, 2012 at 19:00
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

You can chip them out but need to be careful not to damage the surrounding tiles, and you would need replacements that fit!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Neutral colour walls - I'd probably have white.

I'd still go for tile paint - you can remove and replace tiles but you have to be very careful. If you're good at DIY it's an option.

I'd replace the shower curtain with a glass screen.

Put a much bigger rectangular mirrror over the sink - that round one is foul! It will echo the shape of the window and cover up some of the tiles!

I hope the corner unit under the sink, the blind and the carpet are going?

Then make the most of a few co-ordinated and tasteful accessories.

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I would paint the walls white, get a coloured blind, some matching towels, new mirror and a new shower curtain. New taps maybe? They can be pretty cheap on eBay etc. I wouldn't bother with file paint, it looks crap after a while. Could you get some cheap white lino to tide you over until the floor is done properly. I think he white would help brighten up the room especially with the coloured suite.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

I'm a sucker for coordination so I'd go for these kind if colours and a new floor for now

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

Haha yes agree the mirror is horrible! everything not screwed down will be going! er just realised the mirror prob IS screwed down, but its still gone!!

the carpet will also go (it is that pink/red throughout the whoooole house!!)

maybe once all those little changes are made the tiles won't look so bad! its defintely liveable until we can afford to rip out and start again!

thanks ladies!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Oh and always buy a new loo seat. Rule one of house moving....

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto this. I'd love to replace the whole suite if I could, it's a bit from when you think about over people wallowing in your bath.

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

haha yep, will be the first purchase!

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

eeeew. stop! i'll get the bleach out first!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

We have a whirlpool bath and I remember reading about all the grime from people's baths getting stuck in the pipes and then going round when you have it on. I used to fill the bath with bleachy water every day and run it on a whirlpool cycle for hours! I've still never used the whirlpool setting as its grossed me out.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

Bathroom is first on the list for our new house...

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

Just wear a full on wet suit every bathtime!!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

In fact Buzzee, I could show you a picture of our tiles and you will instantly feel better about yours. My bathroom looks like a bogey-fest but it's fully tiled from top to bottom so I'm not in any rush to be changing it.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

This was our bathroom before...

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

Lets see the after mrs c - have been v impressed with the other pics you have flashed before!

what is happening with your sale?

• *PinkBerry*
    Beginner September 2013
    *PinkBerry* ·
    • Hide content

When I was 10 my parents bought a new house, maxed the budget so couldnt do any work and the house was a right state, the bathroom was awful, we managed with a lick of paint, a good clean, new flooring, new toilet seat, new shower curtain.. It did the job until they could afford a new bathroom!!

x

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

After Smiley smile

The entire bathroom suite was £180 from Wickes, we spent £100 on tiles and about £40 on the vinyl floor...

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Just waiting to exchange now... taking ages!!

This is the bathroom in the new house... its got a separate loo which we want to knock into one.

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

Wow that looks great and is cheaper than we thought mrs c, maybe we should just get it all done in 1 go! the suite looks lovely - much pricier than £180! did that include the shower or not?

your new bathroom will be huge then! i came across a blog today something along the lines of apartment therapy.com which you might enjoy - lots of great ideas on there!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We should be able to get a bath and a shower in the new one.

Taps were extra, again from Wickes so not pricey. The bath came with two single taps but when we had the combi boiler fitted we had to take out the wall mounted power shower so just added a mixer shower tap instead. Our water pressure is so strong we dont need a power shower!!

Our flat was done on a complete budget... the kitchen was £350! (plus worktop...)

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

Our bathroom is on the "really want to do but can't afford it yet" list. It's a priority for after the wedding, It had cream suite, salmon pink flowery tiles all over, oak wooden bath panel toilet seat and cupboards and a manky blind.

It's amazing what difference it makes with a good clean, taking down all the horrible wooden rails and filthy cupboard, new toilet seat, blind new towels and some white gloss will do. still got the suite and tiles but can cope a bit longer.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

I thought you above pinched my avatar for a minute ?

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol yeah very similar! I googled xmas Akita and found it

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

You think you have bad bathroom tiles.....?

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

Ha ha, ah those are rather sweet!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hate them!! If we wernt renting then they would have gone a long time ago!

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

I feel a bit better about mine now!

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Wow mini, those tiles are very unique!

Ours was dolphins- will have to see if I've got a picture.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

This was what we had...(needless to say we didn't move in until it was replaced!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics