Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Buzzee
Beginner January 2012

Pimp My Cupcakes!

Buzzee, 27 of January of 2011 at 21:06 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hello!

I am looking at simple white M&S cupcakes for the wedding cake as have heard lots of good things about them and they are cheeeappp!!! However, one thing i'm not keen on is they come in the standard paper looking cupcake cases. Do you think it would work if i were to buy some gold cupcake cases and just drop each cake into one. I've seen some cases on ebay but just not certain on what size cases to buy as don't want them to drown the cake! Also thinking of buying some snowflake decorations to put on each cake!

What do you think?

Also, while on the subject, can anyone recommend a good place for a cake stand? Again, ebay have a few perspex ones - does anyone have any experience of these? I'll need about 100 cakes and not sure yet if getting a cutting cake for top tier or not!

x

12 replies

Latest activity by 3d jewellery, 28 of January of 2011 at 07:16
  • pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I think that's a really good idea, some bakeries are charging HUUUUGE amounts for the cupcakes I was looking at! Sounds good. I saw a link someone put on here for an ikea stand I think, and another one was Laura Ashley, not sure of the exact links but maybe try searching the forums for those brand names?

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

You can get some card surrounds for cupcakes - worth looking in Hobbycraft, eBay and on sugarshack. Second what Jules said about the decorations. You can easily add edible glitter and flowers etc made from fondant/ sugar paste.

• F
    Fantastic Caketastic Cakes ·
    • Hide content

As a cake decorator I don't think putting an extra gold case round the original will work as they wont look part of it and give the tight clean appearence could end up looking messy rather than pretty. If you want to spruce it up go for die cut cupcake wrappers I think they are around £3 for 10. Not 100% on prices as I dont really deal in making cupcakes I do large tiered and novelty cakes.

Cupcakes are becoming a big thing at the moment .... Failing the wrapper idea just bake your own cupcakes

• loobylou1979
    Beginner February 2011
    loobylou1979 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

...here's a link if you fancy a go at making your own? We're having M&S cupcakes so might give it a try.

/free-digital-cupcake-wrapper/

Though does anyone know if M&S are a 'standard' cupcake size?

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

That was my concern about the wrappers just looking too 'baggy' if i don't know exactly what size to order! Maybe i should stick with the standard cases but just add a bit of glitter and snowflakes!

Been googling lots of pics and now v hungry!

• F
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They look miffin case size which is pretty standard even tho they are called cupcakes they are not what I would call fairy cake size. definatly in my opinion only go for the wrapper and not the cases you just wont be happy with the finishes look x

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

From what I can remember, M&S cakes are smaller than the average cupcake - My friend had them at her wedding last year and we managed to fit two in a small sweetie bag.

• Buzzee
    Beginner January 2012
    Buzzee ·
    • Hide content

I don't know if the ones in store (that you get in boxes of 4) are the same as the wedding ones anyway TBH, but thanks for offering! I will also look at the wrapper idea too!

x

• F
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Most M&S Cakes are smaller than average they are only 2" high where as standardly they should be 3" and there Ex-Large is only a 10" which should be 12" really

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Supermarkets now sell cup cake wrappers I know morrisons do

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics