Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

hay
Beginner July 2007

Places to live between Reading and Watford

hay, 6 of March of 2009 at 21:38 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 6

So, it looks like H will no longer be on the redundancy bench, but it also seems like we're going to have to move because of commuting distance if he gets the job. My work from September will be in Rickmansworth, this new job for H is "the other side" of Reading, we need to be a commutable distance between.

My parents look after Owen for 2 days a week (and they're in Watford), so its preferable that we stay close by.

Any suggestions of places to start hunting?

Thanks!

6 replies

Latest activity by NumbNuts, 12 of March of 2009 at 10:18
  • NumbNuts
    Beginner October 2004
    NumbNuts ·
    • Hide content

We're looking much the same area - H works in Welwyn, me in Bracknell. The issue with the area is that prices will vary so much - places like Gerrards Cross are probably perfect but pricey (I have no idea of your needs/budget, and wouldnt ask!), whereas Slough is probably also a good place to look, but, well it's Slough! I'm finding it really tough as in general we can't afford where we like, or there's Slough (and nowhere really in between)! Sorry not much help I know.

Actually - one place I would suggest is Taplow or Burnham, halfway between Slough and Maidenhead, villagey and supposed to be on the new cross rail

• maxiemax
    maxiemax ·
    • Hide content

Places like Marlow and Beaconsfield are lovely, but a bit like Gerrards Cross are very pricey - for me, Taplow and Burnham are expensive as well! I would also suggest Amersham although not sure about getting to Reading from there. We are in Aylesbury, some of which isn't particularly nice (well like most towns I suppose!) but some parts like where I live are lovely, and there is a LOT of regeneration going on at the moment in the town centre which will help make the town nicer (new theatre, shopping centre etc) - the villages round here in the Chilterns are lovely but you will pay a hefty premium for being in a village, when I was looking about £50K over the odds.

HTH

• hay
    Beginner July 2007
    hay ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all

We previously lived in Maidenhead and I always lusted for the villages around and about there so I know we couldn't afford the prices! We're in Hemel at the minute. I was thinking about High Wycombe but get such mixed reviews from people.

• barongreenback
    Beginner September 2004
    barongreenback ·
    • Hide content

Wycombe is ok. Some nice parts, some not so nice. It is one of the more affordable areas in Bucks, great transport links, close enough to nice countryside and decent shopping. I'll probably be moving to the south east in the next 5 years and it's definitely on my list.

• S
    spinster chick ·
    • Hide content

Well how flexible are his working hours? can you not stay where you are?

I work in Hemel and live in Twickenham, and the commute is OK. So long as I am on the M25 by 7... to be honest the commute the way I go is probably easier than the other way so I would suggest living closer to Reading and you commuting but it depends on a whole number of factors!

• hay
    Beginner July 2007
    hay ·
    • Hide content

I don't know about flexibility yet, its not confirmed that he has the job. On second interview change.

At the minute he'll probably commute and if things are horrid we might even look into him staying in a travel lodge type place a couple of nights a week. See how the job goes first.

• NumbNuts
    Beginner October 2004
    NumbNuts ·
    • Hide content

TBH, that stretch of the M25 is a pig, especially between Watford and the M40, however from Hemel, he can go into Aylesbury, then High Wycombe and down the motorway between HW and Maidenhead, that I cannae remember the name of, to the M4 so doesn't have to see it at all!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics