Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

hopefulmum2b
Beginner August 2012

Plain iced sponge cake

hopefulmum2b, 14 of January of 2012 at 09:15 Posted on Planning 0 9

Helllo

as the tit;e says we are needing to keep the costs down for our wedding and especially on the cake....you know how in m&s asda and tesco you can buy plain fruit iced square and round cakes in different sizes.......well i dont like fruit cake so im after a plain choc sponge and plain sponge iced cakes preferably from a shop somewhere...........does anyone know where i can get them from?????????

Thanks in advance

Amy

9 replies

Latest activity by moyan, 15 of January of 2012 at 01:42
  • tonileehall
    Beginner August 2012
    tonileehall ·
    • Hide content

Do you not like sponge with butter cream and jam?

Because M&S give you this options if you do not like fruitcake

• CharleeA
    Beginner April 2013
    CharleeA ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried a local bakers, they might be able to make something for you. We had one in the local village where we used to live and they would make them to order x

• Banana88
    Beginner May 2012
    Banana88 ·
    • Hide content

I only know of M&S. They do give you the option of sponge cake online.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I've heard good things about the M&S cakes, but never tried them myself.

To cut costs even more, do you have an aunt, grandmother, family friend etc that is a whizz in the kitchen & could make a few sponges? Would work out a few pounds, as a sponge is only flour, butter, eggs & sugar.

• hopefulmum2b
    Beginner August 2012
    hopefulmum2b ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your help its just ive asked a local wedding cake supplier and the quotes for sponge cake and chocolate cake for plain iced 3 tier sponge cake 120 pounds......and in m&s i could buy 3 separate sponge iced cakes diff sizes for under 90 and tier them myself was just hoping a shop would do the same with sponge cakes but they dont unfortunately the cake is one thing i really dont want to spend much on.....i was thinking 120 for just sponge and icing is rather alot of money for saying for can get birthday cakes for less than 10 for a huge one...so couldn't understand why sponge was so expensive to do.......well rant over i think its cos you mention the word wedding and prices skyrocket Smiley sad

thanks everyone for your help

amy

• A
    Beginner August 2013
    annie2000 ·
    • Hide content

I've just looked at the M and S sponge cakes and they are very reasonable. Spending a lot on a cake isn't on our list of priorities and they get very good reviews so I think we will go with them and decorate ourselves

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We had M&S sponge cake and it was amazing! They often do 3 for 2 on the tiers as well.

They are quite thin so bear that in mind if you are stacking them. We had ours on a cake stand.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

If it's just plain and you can get someone to collect it have you considered not telling them it's a wedding cake but telling them it's a birthday cake? you may find the price drops!! if theres going to be no decoration giving it away and you collect instead of them dropping it at the venue im pretty sure you could get it cheaper than £120!! just an idea!! Smiley smile x

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love that cake stand Mrs C!

• M
    moyan ·
    • Hide content

Spending a lot on a cake isn't on our list of priorities and they get very good reviews so I think we will go with them and decorate ourselves.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics