Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner May 2018

Planning a small wedding

RomanticPurpleConfetti835, 2 of July of 2017 at 21:38 Posted on Planning 0 3

Hi!

Just got engaged last week and looking at venues is frying my brain. I am talking to my friends and they have spent £16/£20k to get married which we can no way afford.

We are only planning a small wedding, around 20 for day and 40 for night and have a budget of about £5k. Anny suggestions on the best type of venues to look at? Thank you xx

3 replies

Latest activity by Paula @ Ollievision, 7 of July of 2017 at 23:59
  • H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

Local hotels often do packages for more intimate weddings. Try holiday inns and village hotels if you're really stuck, but most local hotels and golf clubs will offer some sort of package. The smaller packages are around 1-2k Which leaves a nice chunk of budget for any "frills" you want to add.

Other alternative is the registry office and a local function room, depends on how many "extras" you want.

For example a hotel package will often include a hotel room for you for the night or some kind of food or drink package. Registry and function room will be cheaper but you will need to pay for more things separately

If you really want to get cost down, go "less is more" with things like flowers and decorations and book for midweek, you'll be able to barter with suppliers more as they aren't as busy on weekdays

Hope this helps

• M
    Beginner September 2017
    MrsPtoB ·
    • Hide content

It can definitely be done on a budget. We are only having about 25 guests in total and our wedding is costing around £10k but we could have done it for a lot less. Getting a wedding dress off rail, shopping around for venues etc. If you are open to venue then just contact all local ones and ask about prices. The hotel we are having our wedding breakfast/reception at did us a deal as we booked this year for this year. Usually their minimum guest number is 80 and they were happy to go down to 20 for something booked this year. It is £56 per person for us and that includes 3 course meal and drinks. This also included a fee for letting guests choose which meal they wanted, a set meal for everyone was cheaper. Of course our choice of dates were limited because most people booked last year, or even the year before so we're getting a Friday instead of a Saturday.

• S
    Beginner January 2018
    SunnyGreenStationery800 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a small wedding for 12 (We're actually having two weddings but the first is the small one). We're doing it outside and then just dinner at a restaurant so it's only £2500. In total we've paid £10500 for both weddings (one for 12 and one for 150). Have you tried village halls - there are lots of pretty ones out there and usually on £1000 to rent. That would give you enough room for dinner and dancing. I'm not sure where you are looking but some I know are Boxgrove village hall, hastoe village hall, kestoe village hall, high hurstwood village hall. Try googling village hall in the relevant county. They are do it yourself but most come with chairs and tables at least.

If you're interested here a few ways I've saved money by doing the following:

* Dress on ebay or from boohoo (high street)

* Dried flowers (bouquets and buttonholes) from http://stores.ebay.co.uk/angelenovackboutique/

* No favours

* Dried petals from ebay

* Bridesmaid dresses in sale and high street (in fact in the end i found the same one on ebay for even cheaper than the sale)

* We just bought a 12 person cake from a local bakery and didn't tell them it was for a wedding. We splashed out on a clay cake topper though that we could keep. For the larger wedding we have a cake stall with 6 cakes made by friends in different flavours then that's the dessert. We bought a little fondant one and we'll put the cake topper on it to cut.

* We had rings handmade from Etsy only £150 each.

* Having street food at the big one/restaurant at the small one

* Friends to do makeup and hair.

* Staying at parents house to get ready rather than hotel.

* We didn't buy suits for groomsman, they just had matching ties.

* Did the playlist ourselves. We splashed out on a Ceilidh.

* Got a musician from the Royal College of Music - students looking for practice so a bit cheaper but still professional.

* Held it all in one venue.

* Bought flowers in bulk and doing all decoration ourselves. I just practised beforehand so I made sure it was easy stuff. I'm using a lot of gypsophila as it's cheap and long lasting. I've got friends collecting jars, ramekins and wine bottles that ill filling with candles or flowers.

Hope that wasn't too much info and is helpful. Good luck!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure what area you're in but have a look at the local pubs and small venues. They often do weddings at reasonable prices. The Britannia Hotels chain are very good value. My local one in Yorkshire is from £999 for weddings, I don't know how they do it for that price!

https://www.britanniahotels.com/hotels/the-britannia-leeds-bradford-airport-hotel

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics