Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2015

Planning a very last minute wedding - help!

MrsSDtobe, 24 of July of 2015 at 08:39 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi everyone! I

I got engaged on July 10th, and I'm getting married September 23rd this year! This gave us a grand total of 75 days to plan our wedding ?

The reason for the short notice is that my H2B is getting posted overseas with the forces, so he'll be in this country for about a fortnight after our wedding.

I think I'm on top of most of the planning, but I can't seem to find a full breakdown of everything that would normally be planned. I guess most people have far more time to think about what needs doing! So I'm starting to worry that I will suddenly think of something with a week to go and I won't have time to do anything about it.

Could you possibly help me think about all the things that we need to consider?

We have booked the venue, Sent invites (much drama has followed this), got my dress, got his suit, chosen groomsmen and bridesmaids. But not much else?!

TIA xx

16 replies

Latest activity by bliss_balloons , 28 of July of 2015 at 11:13
  • CornishBride89
    Beginner October 2015
    CornishBride89 ·
    • Hide content

Wow! Just 75 days to plan! But you're doing well so far! ?
    I googled 'wedding check lists' and used those to write my own when I started planning. This has helped me no end. Just do all the big things first and then the little details won't matter so much if you don't have time.
    I'd definitely start looking for a photographer soon though as many may be booked up at such short notice.
    Good luck. There will be loads of advice around here! ?

• TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

Wow! You've done well so far in such a short time! More than I've done in the last year! lol.

When we first got engaged, I downloaded an app on my phone - i think it was called wed happy or something like that, but there were a few to choose from. It had a checklist of all the things you need to do and when (the when part probably isn't that helpful for you! lol), but it helped us put together a budget (subsequently blown out the water because we had ZERO idea how much anything cost!).

From your list you seem to have all the big bits sorted, but I'd add : catering (if it's not included with your venue), rings, photographer, flowers and transport.

Hope this helps and good luck! Smiley smile

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Congratualations, it's certainly doable! I suggest making lots of lists and cutting things that aren't really needed. What's included in your venue package? I would make the next priority the photographer then there's d.j or any other entertainment you might want, cake, bridesmaids dresses, flowers, rings and transport. Also venue decorations because if you want to do any D.I.Y then this can take a lot longer than you might expect. Alternatively you could look into a company to do it for you. If you're buying gifts for the bridal party then you could start getting bits together. Ebay is a great place to look and pinterest if you need some inspiration!

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsSDtobe ·
    • Hide content

Ah thanks Smiley smile

Thankfully the venue is sorting the catering, and I don't need transport (the groom can drive himself ?). I haven't found a photographer yet, so I'm asking around friends and family.

Looks like I'll be doing my own cake and flowers, with such a short time frame we haven't had the time to save much money, so we are on a tight budget (we did our own invites)

Rings will be next on the list, then bridal party outfits!

How important are things like chair covers? I've never been to a wedding without them, but I can't decide if it would be odd to go without?

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsSDtobe ·
    • Hide content

Thankfully the venue also provides a dj ?

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

Depends on your venue (and their chairs..) but I don't think chair covers are necessary! I like the look of limewashed chiavari chairs - very rustic but could also look perfectly nice in a more formal setting.

Small but (maybe) important thing you might forget: confetti!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like you'r on track then. We're not having chair covers because I don't really like them and our chairs are nice anyway. If you're on a tight budget I don't really think they're needed. Other little bits to remember are guest book and card box. Oh and your shoes!

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

And hair and make-up, if you're planning to hire someone!

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Panda-gill ·
    • Hide content

Hello there!

I am in the same boat at except we had a little longer - 14 weeks with just over 4 to go! My fiancé is in the forces and has just been posted abroad too so he is in Cyprus until the week before the wedding! I downloaded an app "Guide for Brides" I think it was called and have made a little notebook full of things and an just ticking it off as I go. I am sure I will probably forget something and maybe the attention to detail won't be perfect but I am marrying my fiancé and that's the most important thing. I think getting invites out asap is important (esp if your partner is in the forces people might be spread out and need to arrange the time off.) It's exciting tho, enjoy it all Smiley smile

Good luck!!xxxx

• P
    Beginner August 2015
    Panda-gill ·
    • Hide content

Oops apologies just read that you've sorted out the invites and dress that's the 2 things that usually take time. Maybe flowers and hair and make up if you want that? You seem super organise tho :-)

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsWebberToBe ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought of wedding music for walking down the aisle, signing the register and walking out?

Good luck with the rest of your planning, sounds like you have it all under control Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Apart from a wedding licence and a registrar nothing is needed yes it's wanted and very nice but don't panic yourself about the little details your wedding guests will know it's a very last minute thing and hopefully respect money enough to know it doesn't grow on trees.

Good luck x

• M
    Beginner February 2016
    MrsF2B! ·
    • Hide content

Congrats MrsSDtobe :-) I'm also an Army wife - I've found it makes things a lot more difficult because it sometimes feels like I'm planning this wedding around the army and it a infinite wisdom :-P

Good thinking getting a venue that provides so much - that'll take the pressure off a bit! I'm not sure where your based, but there are some good photographers around that should still have availability or, if your H2B and his army unit are anything like mine, then he'll probably know someone that has a decent camera because they do it as a hobby and could do your pics for you as a favour - that'd be one less thing to worry about, plus less expense!

One of the most important things is make sure that you contact the registrar and give notice of your intent to marry - sooner the better because of your short timescales.

But mainly, enjoyed planning and good luck

X

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Congrats. Its certainly all doable. I organised my whole wedding in 3mths from the other side of the world (live in london, got married in Sydney!)

Here are some things to consider, nothing essential, just things to think about if money permitsSmiley sadPoundland have some bargains too :

http://www.poundland.co.uk/party-and-celebrations/celebrations/wedding

- Favours (home-made ones are cheapest, biscuits/gingerbread that doubles as place names when iced, jams, chutneys, chocolates, infused oils/vinegars)

- Centrepieces

- Flip flop basket (poundland/primark sell them for £1 a pair)

- Buttonholes/corsage for MOB, MOG, grandparents

- Gifts for BM's, Best man, parents, groom, ushers

- Do you want a relative/friend to video the wedding?

- Any specific readings you want at the ceremony and if so, by whom?

- Veil. pink margaret on here is great and very reasonably priced

- Guest book/something for guests to sign

- Hotel to stay in for wedding night

- order of the day or order of service (depending if in a church. We printed ours at home)

- confetti/petals/rice

- Shoes (debenhams have a blue cross sale on at the moment, and have some lovely hair clips/combs too)

- Garter

- Something borrowed, something blue etc

- BM dresses and shoes- again, Debenhams might be a good start

- Something at the venue to put cards in (suitcase, box, post box etc, poundland sell one for £1!)

- Table plan. Our venue provided one, but some dont

- Table names/theme or just use numbers

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

Hi there

Congratulations on your engagement. Sounds like it's time to get stuck in with your planning Smiley smile

I always advise to start with suppliers where there is only one of, mainly photographer, entertainer / DJ, videographer , toastmaster / planner - basically any service or supplier that can do only one wedding per day.

James

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    MrsSDtobe ·
    • Hide content

Right update time ?

We have sorted the following:

Dress
    Veil
    Shoes for me
    Grooms suit
    Groomsmen's waistcoats
    Groomsmen's suits
    Bridesmaid dresses have been ordered
    Flowers have been chosen, just need to order them
    Groomsmen and bridesmaids gifts
    Venue
    Food (wedding breakfast and evening)
    DJ
    Photographer (my mums best friend has offered to do the photos)
    Chosen our first dance song
    Chosen the music we will walk out of the ceremony to
    Invitations have been sent
    Rings have been ordered
    Table decorations have been chosen
    Guest book (well tree) has been chosen
    I'm doing my own makeup
    Going to a local hairdressers on the day
    Hotel rooms have been booked
    Have decided to go for chair covers after seeing the chairs at the venue, have found a company
    Don't need cars

Dress

Veil

Shoes for me

Grooms suit

Groomsmen's waistcoats

Groomsmen's suits

Bridesmaid dresses have been ordered

Flowers have been chosen, just need to order them

Groomsmen and bridesmaids gifts

Venue Food (wedding breakfast and evening)

DJ

Photographer (my mums best friend has offered to do the photos)

Chosen our first dance song

Chosen the music we will walk out of the ceremony to

Invitations have been sent

Rings have been ordered

Table decorations have been chosen

Table plan

Guest book (well tree) has been chosen

I'm doing my own makeup

Going to a local hairdressers on the day

Hotel rooms have been booked

Have decided to go for chair covers after seeing the chairs at the venue, have found a company

Don't need cars

Gave our notice to marry yesterday

Have booked the registrar

So yeah, busy weekend! Only broke down once!!! ?? queue manic laughter...

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Haha you've done more than me so well done!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics