Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hjp
Beginner June 2025 Gloucestershire

Planning a wedding with unwell fil

Hjp, 8 of August of 2023 at 09:30 Posted on Planning 1 3
Hi everyone,

Myself and my fiancé got engaged in September 2022 and we are currently planning for our June 2025 wedding.
In early 2022, my FIL was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and prognosis was bleak, however after chemo and a full pancreas removal is doing well nearly a year on from the op (he was in hospital when we got engaged so it was very emotional!). When we started looking at venues and we found ‘the one’ we took my MIL and FIL with us and they were very keen for us to book it as they loved it just as much as us and even kindly gave us some money towards the deposit.
I am looking for some advice around a few things really, we chose 2025 as we are currently renovating our house and paying for the wedding majority ourselves so we can’t afford to get married any sooner. We are having a wedding for around 80 guests and I have family coming from all over to attend (my fiancé has a very small family). Recently, my MIL expressed to me that she had a gut feeling that my FIL wouldn’t make it to the wedding (the cancer does has a high chance of returning) and that all he wants to do is see us get married, and that she doesn’t know how she could go to the wedding without him there.
This is really upsetting to me as I have just this week asked my bridesmaids, we have booked accommodation and a photographer. I understand my MIL is thinking worst case scenario, we cannot afford to get married any sooner and my FIL is doing well at the moment. I now feel as though I probably shouldn’t mention the wedding planning to her now I know how she feels about it even though I had plans to include her in most of the planning as I am really close with her (including going to find a dress etc)
Wedding insurance I have seen so far won’t cover us for pre existing medical conditions and I don’t want to cancel our wedding on a what if basis. If my FIL does become poorly again we could get married at the local registry office with our parents as witnesses and go out for an intimate dinner following this….but I would also still want our original 2025 wedding to go ahead as this is something I have always dreamed of and a chance to celebrate with our family and friends. I am so excited for it but now I almost feel guilty for planning our wedding, even though my MIL/FIL were so excited for us to book it.
I guess the advise I am asking for is has anyone been in this situation before? Has anyone done a small registry office wedding due to family illness and then a bigger celebration later down the line? Can anyone also recommend a wedding insurer that may cover due to illness?
Sorry for the long post, a very worried bride to be x

3 replies

Latest activity by Hjp, 15 of August of 2023 at 21:20
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I had a friend whose brother-in-law-to-be got cancer between the engagement and wedding date. They went ahead with planning for the original wedding date, and when it became clear that he wasn't going to last until then, they had a private family-only ceremony while BIL was still alive, and turned the original wedding day into a wedding blessing/celebration day (exactly the same as their wedding would have been except that they had a ceremony to bless & renew the vows they had already made instead of the straightforward wedding ceremony).

I understand your MIL is going through a lot right now, but she does seem to be behaving unnecessarily dramatically when your FIL hasn't even been diagnosed with a recurrence yet! In your place, I would continue with preparing for your planned 2025 wedding, with the option of having a smaller, family-only ceremony earlier if your FILs health starts to fail. You can then keep your original date as a celebration/vow renewal.

Obviously, you and your OH need to be on the same page with this, but if you both decide to do this, then it might give MIL peace of mind if you tell her this is your plan should FIL become ill again.

• Sarah
    Rockstar August 2024 West Midlands
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Good evening,

So sorry to hear your news!

My father has recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer and we are due to marry in less than a year. Although, the prognosis is considered pretty good in the grand scheme of things. We have no idea what will happen from here or how he will recover from surgery. I’m also a Paramedic, so I’m exposed to many unexpected, life changing situations and scenarios every day. With that being said, I don’t think there’s any point stressing about the things we cannot control. Anything can happen to any person at any time and although I understand your MIL anxieties and it is so lovely they are desperate to see you marry, I dont think she needs to be worrying so much at the moment especially as you’re saying he is well at the moment.

I’m assuming you’ve had a conversation with her about the local registry office if anything changed?

In addition I think, from what you’ve said you’ve already got it sussed out and you are being SO reasonable. Personally, there’s no point rushing and changing anything based on a feeling. Your back up plan is there is place in the event he becomes unwell and that’s how it should remain unless it is required to be used. Just relating back, that would also be my place if my father deteriorates or doesn’t recover post treatment. That’s all we can do.

Please don’t let it ruin your planning experience. All it needs to be is a back of mind thought at the moment xx

• Hjp
    Beginner June 2025 Gloucestershire
    Hjp ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Sarah,

Thank you for your reply and I am so sorry to hear about your father.
    I almost feel bad for planning ahead but like you said I can’t let it ruin the experience.
    I hope you have the most amazing wedding! xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics