Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

xgvs
Beginner September 2017

Planning help for wedding abroad?

xgvs, 13 of January of 2016 at 08:42 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hello everyone ?

I am relatively new to this website only recently getting engaged on Halloween 2015! I've been thinking about things since then but only the last few weeks been looking properly and getting an idea of places/prices etcccc.

At first me and my other half were very set on getting married abroad and at first thought about Greece. The more we looked into it, it didn't look very us.

Well yesterday I got ridiculously excited at finding the most perfect venue in Prague. I have been 4 times and I would without a doubt say it is my favourite place ever! When I am trying to get some figures I am just getting negative comments from my other half about how expensive he thinks it is when really, if anything it's looking cheaper than getting married over here in the UK. This past week all we seem to of done is bicker about our wedding! I really don't think he is bothered about where he gets married but when I look at venues in the UK I don't get the same excited feeling I do when I look at Prague.

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on planning a wedding abroad/any good wedding planners that aren't ridiculously expensive?

Thankyou!
Gemma x

9 replies

Latest activity by artisanwedding.co.uk, 18 of January of 2016 at 17:41
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I'm a photographer so talk to a lot of brides. One of the issues with overseas weddings can be attendance. If it's just the two of you going then that won't be an issue. But if you hope some guests will attend then you need to discuss it with family now. We've seen several upset brides who have people dropping out due to the cost of attending an overseas wedding.

It may be that your OH thinks his parents won't come?

• xgvs
    Beginner September 2017
    xgvs ·
    • Hide content

I don't think it's guests that would be a problem. Initially when we were looking at Greece we thought it would be great but really you're asking a lot of people with them having to pay for flights, hotels etc (would really be a holiday for them) whereas Prague you can fly out and home within two days and it's a lot cheaper.

My main confusion is with all these packages and what's included and what isn't etc.

I was wondering whether anyone has had an experience with Exclusive Weddings in Prague?

I just really have no desire at all to get married in this country and I am finding it difficult already planning ☹️

Thankyou

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think you really know what guests are thinking until you ask. We're getting married in the UK although we live 70 miles plus from any family so they will have to travel and get hotels for the night and some are still putting up a bit of a fuss.

I think you need to get to the bottom of why your OH isn't keen on Prague (was he OK with Greece?). I found my dream venue when we were searching but my OH said it was too much money and put his foot down ? I thought I would never be able to get excited about the wedding as the venue is not what I had imagined but the closer we get to the wedding, the more excited I get ?

• xgvs
    Beginner September 2017
    xgvs ·
    • Hide content

Hi Smiley smile

I think any weddings that aren't local are going to cause some fuss with family. I know my OH grandma would probably not want to come as she doesn't like flying and my grandparents aren't well enough to fly but in my head I just think we could have a small get together with people who couldn't go when we're home.

It's not that he isn't keen, he did like what I was showing him he just thought it was expensive but when I work it out I believe it's cheaper. I'm going to bring it up again in a few weeks when things have settled down a bit I think. Never know it could just be him being a man haha! A woman I work with says her husband was exactly the same.

I hope you have a wonderful wedding Smiley smile

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Hello, we got married in lapland dec 30th after originally planning the UK. Have you asked your fiancé his thoughts on Prague? He may not be as keen on the place as you are or may have a different idea of the type of wedding he wants. We agreed we didn't want hot and both loved lapland so I emailed a lady who plans weddings there and showed him the package price and had looked at rough holiday prices so he had a realistic view of cost. before hand we thought it would be very expensive but don't be fooled into thinking it's very cheap either. The money we would have spent feeding people we spent on the holiday but some family couldbnt attend because of the cost of the holiday so there are pros and cons. I would sit down with him and write pros and cons for what you want in the UK and what you want abroad and then discuss what type of wedding eg beach, villa, forest, vineyard etc etc then go from there. Also remember some countries won't legally marry you so you may face a registry office on route to the airport and you do have to be in a country so long before marrying so check before setting your heart on a county

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

Can I ask why you don't want to get married in the UK at all? I'm having a wedding abroad because we're an international couple and inevitably someone would have to travel, so I don't really have a personal opinion on getting married in the UK either way. But I'm just curious what your thinking is, and it might be helpful to explain that reasoning to your OH as well. If it's just the style of venue, with a little research and creativity you can find venues to suit all sorts of tastes. I'm getting married at a summer camp which OH's family is still adjusting to. In their mind a wedding in a country house or hotel is "the way things are done", but obviously that is not the only option.

• P
    Beginner March 2016
    PurpleRain88 ·
    • Hide content

I was bridesmaid at my friend's wedding in Greece last year and it was lovely. You might need to factor in additional costs though - for example, they paid for the flights for the whole wedding party (depending on the sort of wedding you were after that might not be an issue - if, however, my friend had asked me to be a bridesmaid and then expected me to pay to fly there I'd have had to turn her down). They also had a UK party a month or so after the wedding so that everyone who couldn't travel could come and celebrate (again, I don't know how many people you or you H2B would want on the guest list so hat might not be relevant). She did say it would have been impossible without a wedding planner because she'd have struggled to sort out hair and make-up/photography/etc from a different country! So if you're set on doing it abroad I'd recommend not trying to do it yourself!

• xgvs
    Beginner September 2017
    xgvs ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

It really just does not appeal to me. I can't say I'm too fond of where I live and I've always thought to myself if I were to get married I'd love to do it abroad. My OH is not set on getting married in the UK, he's just been looking online at some stuff. He was the one who suggested getting married abroad. I personally think were both just having a bit of a crisis thinking about where to even begin haha!

Thanks for replying Smiley smile enjoy your wedding! x

• xgvs
    Beginner September 2017
    xgvs ·
    • Hide content

Hi Smiley smile

We have made a list of who we would like to be there so one of our next steps needs to be actually asking these people. When initially thinking about Greece people said they would come if they obviously had enough notice to save which is understandable. So this is another reason now why I am so drawn to a European city like Prague. The flights and hotels are cheaper and as mentioned above you can fly there and back within two days from where we live.
    I only want close family and friends there as does my OH so we kind of already know who would be willing to come. As much as I would like to pay for peoples flights there's no way we could afford that Smiley sad

It's all still up in the air obviously at the moment so will be revisiting ideas in a few weeks time once we have cleared our heads!

Thank you for replying x

• artisanwedding.co.uk
    artisanwedding.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Getting married in Prague??? YES YES YES YES!!!!

I absolutely guartantee that there is nothing in the UK that will come even vaguely close.

This wedding was held in a public garden, and then there was a short trip to wedding venue. It was the MOST amazing wedding I've ever covered. You won't regret it!

The video is a bit old now, I shot it in 2009, but you'll get the idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AORk-awA6jo

Pete x

If you want to email me, I'd be more than happy to help. The details on the video are wrong now though, go through my website! (It was nearly ten years ago!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics