Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsHowardtobe2020
Beginner September 2021

Planning is hard!

MrsHowardtobe2020, 3 of December of 2019 at 12:37 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi!

I've only just signed up to the forum, hoping to be able to chat to other brides and stop annoying my family and friends every day!

I seem to have hit a bit of a wall, I've booked my venue and some other suppliers but I have so many ideas for what I'd like that it's a bit overwhelming with where to start!

What has everyone else still got to book and how did you decide what was right for you? Did you decide on a theme?! I know colours that I'd like but it's the little things that are proving a bit too much.

Thanks in advance!

6 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 10 of December of 2019 at 22:39
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Don't overthink things. And I know it's not a popular opinion, but I wouldn't worry too much about a theme either.

We settled on a colour (my fiance is wearing a kilt, so we needed to make sure any colours we chose went with that) but that was pretty much it, theme wise. We've found that by picking what we like and 'feels like us', it all seems to be hanging together well regardless of the 'lack of theme'. Worrying about 'themes' and 'visions' seems to be a fairly new thing anyway - I don't recall it being an issue in weddings of 15 or 20 years ago. People just picked stuff they liked and everyone still managed to have fun.

We made shortlists of what we liked for some things (eg. invitations, photographer) and then compared. With the invitations, the same invite was on both our shortlists, so that was a no brainer! With photography, my fiance had a very strong preference for 2 photographers, I wasn't keen on one, but liked the other. Job done. Other things, one of us has researched and said 'how about' and the other one has gone 'great' and it's sorted.

Don't overcomplicate or feel that you 'have' to do things because it's expected or everyone else does. At the end of the day, it's about your friends and family coming to support you in your commitment to each other and the start of your new journey together. That's the important stuff.

• R
    Beginner June 2020
    RomanticBlueCars38288 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I've no theme!! Keeping everything really informal apart from the ceremony itself.

Having a few banners, balloons and a table plan at the venue with some favours on the tables, but as for colour schemes etc too much like stress and effort. If your venue, like ours is informal, then just go with what you want.

• MrsHowardtobe2020
    Beginner September 2021
    MrsHowardtobe2020 ·
    • Hide content

Ahh totally true! And you definitely have to work together like you said, writing things down and making a decision together. I've booked our photographer and that was most important to me really. I think we'll make a lot of stuff, I just think I have so many ideas and they're all blending into one! I'm definitely going to start making a mood board or something so we can sit together and decide what we both do and don't like.

Hope you're planning is going well!

• MrsHowardtobe2020
    Beginner September 2021
    MrsHowardtobe2020 ·
    • Hide content

Ahh totally true! And you definitely have to work together like you said, writing things down and making a decision together. I've booked our photographer and that was most important to me really. I think we'll make a lot of stuff, I just think I have so many ideas and they're all blending into one! I'm definitely going to start making a mood board or something so we can sit together and decide what we both do and don't like.

Hope you're planning is going well!

• MrsHowardtobe2020
    Beginner September 2021
    MrsHowardtobe2020 ·
    • Hide content

That all sounds super simple! I love the thought of just keeping it simple, you can still make it look great by not going overboard definitely. Hope you're enjoying your planning!

• H
    Beginner
    HappyYellowConfetti12932 ·
    • Hide content

Hi lovely!

Don't let yourself get too stressed out over it all, and definitely don't do too much 'Pinteresting'...it can get overwhelming having too many ideas to work with. We initially decided on a colour theme but having worked through things we've found that discarding the theme and just going with what we like is a lot easier. I think it makes it a bit more personal this way as well.

You definitely need to make sure that you both get involved. While my OH said he didn't really mind not being involved in a lot of the 'design' process of things like our invites, the bridesmaid dresses etc, his input has been needed. We wanted there to be hints of both of us being involved in the process so we did a lot of researching together and then making decisions together. He trusted me with things like the photographer decision as he doesn't have an 'aesthetic' eye and his eye was always drawn to cost over style...but we managed to negotiate and get a cost and a style we both liked.

Just do things little and often. We'll have weekends off of all wedding talk then we'll have wedding talk filled weekends at other times Smiley smile

Just don't allow for too much stress! It's your big day at the end of it all, not anybody elses Smiley smile

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

"We'll have weekends off of all wedding talk then we'll have wedding talk filled weekends at other times Smiley smile" I second this! It's so important to have times when you are just enjoying each other's company as a couple - after all, that's why you're getting married in the first place! We've also tried to do as much as we can in midweek evenings (e.g. guest list, choosing stationery, shortlisting suppliers) so that wedding stuff is kept to a minimum on our days off.

I'd also agree with not going overboard on ideas - when we've found something that works, we've just stopped looking. It would be so easy to keep thinking there might be a better idea around the corner, but if what we've found works and we like it, we don't need to keep looking! And by reducing the number of ideas, we've made choosing a lot easier.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics