Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Savvy May 2024 Bedfordshire

Platform heels for beach wedding?

Sarah, 6 of February of 2024 at 23:38 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 9
Got my dress sorted now for the shoes, we still haven't picked venue but will either be garden/outdoors, or on the beach. I'd like a bit of height and platform heels I find are most comfortable. Are platform heels like the one below practical for walking down the aisle on a beach? (assuming will have some sort of fabric runner, or maybe just sand)
Platform heels for beach wedding? 1

This is the dressPlatform heels for beach wedding? 2

9 replies

Latest activity by Victoria, 1 of May of 2024 at 03:32
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Depends on how good your balance is, whether or not there will be a runner and if you are happy to be limited to standing just on the runner. Heels of any kind will be tricky on straight sand and there will be a certain amount of 'give' even with a runner on top, unless it is super thick and heavy.

If you're set on heels and haven't picked your venue yet, then I'd go garden rather than beach. (If you want beach photos you could always look for a garden venue near a beach so you can take your shoes off for beach photos after the ceremony.)

• L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    With getting married outside, just ensure your venue has a rain plan. Our wedding was in July, gorgeous the day before & after our wedding but it drizzled most of our wedding day.
    As for platforms on a beach, would you consider espadrilles/wedges? They may be a bit more stable.
    Our photographers took us to the beach the morning after the wedding, but I won’t lie, I just wore flip flops, was so much easier & then I didn’t have to worry about wrecking an expensive pair of shoes either.
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That's a good point, I think if the garden with a view option is there we would be going towards that, but if it is just sandy beach then barefoot might be the way. I assume then for dress alterations I can get them to do it with the heels on and then it'll only be a few inches longer when I take them off on the beach
  • S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yess I did think wedges too but like you say the last thing I want to worry about is if I can walk on a beach so losing them for the beach would seem a better option! Ahh thank you didn't think about the rain option, will keep that in mind when deciding on venue
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Unless you're going for really high heels, you shouldn't notice a huge amount of difference in dress length when you take your shoes off. Just be careful how you walk so you don't trip over the spare fabric in front!

• S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh no definitely nothing too high those days are well over, stick to comfy heights if at all now haha! Will definitely trial the walking barefoot at the fittings before the real thing, hopefully the slit will help make that easier to move around too 😅
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If it's any comfort, my dress was a good couple of inches too long (got married immediately post lockdown, so no time to get it shortened) and I managed ok for our ceremony - I just had to walk a bit slower than usual and kind of kick the skirt out with my feet as I walked - and hitched it up for walking up steps or slopes. Just be careful if you get a fabric that stretches when wet - it was raining on our wedding day and the more water my skirt picked up from the ground, the more it stretched, so it had 'grown' by several inches by the end of the day Smiley xd But if you can keep it dry, you should be fine.

• S
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow that's amazing you managed well with it being a bit longer. Oh noo hahah the one I went for is a tulle skirt hopefully that will hold itself, and trying to perfect picking a time in summer that should hopefully be clear and sunny. The more I see other dresses on my instagram feed the more I'm starting to doubt if I picked the right one for the outdoorsy beachside venue. Hoping alterations and shortening a fair bit off will give it that lighter feel😅
  • Victoria
    Beginner September 2025 Hertfordshire
    Victoria ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I live in an island and we go to the beach every week.. having said this let me tell you that there’s no way one can walk in the sand wearing shoes other than trainers or flats. Sand is super unstable and gets inside any nook and cranny causing chafing and discomfort. If you have a thick carpet as aisle maybe you could try wearing wedges or chunky heels. But definitely if you’re having a beach ceremony reconsider wearing shoes, and in any case try them on the sand just in case.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics