Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Snowby
Beginner September 2013

Platinum engagement ring and white gold wedding band?

Snowby, 25 August, 2012 at 18:10 Posted on Planning 0 4

I was pretty overwhelmed when my OH presented me with a platinum engagement ring when he proposed. He now thinks I should have a platinum wedding ring to match but I just can't justify the cost - especially when it's what the ring signifies that's important to me, not what it's made of.

I had a look online and for every person who says it's not a problem at all to have one ring platinum and the other white gold, someone else it's an absolute no-no because of the way the white gold tarnishes (or something). Does anyone know anything about this? I've pretty much made up my mind that I'm going for white gold anyway, was just interested to hear what people thought.

4 replies

Latest activity by Selenalee69, 25 August, 2012 at 20:51
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

You'll need to have your white gold ring re-dipped really quite regularly - even more than those wearing it with a white gold ER as the difference will be so much more noticeable next to the platinum.

The white gold will wear also down against the platinum as it's a much softer metal.

White gold is just yellow gold with a different colour plating.

Have you looked at palladium? It is very close to platinum on the hardness scale so they won't tarnish or wear.

I have a platinum ER and palladium WR - my WR cost less than £100.

• Snowby
    Beginner September 2013
    Snowby ·
    • Hide content

Oooh, thanks Kharv! Don't really know much about palladium but just the quickest of Google searches has thrown up some beauties. Some diamond set ones at a fraction of the cost of some of the plain platinum bands I'd seen!

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Yes,as roseability said-palladium is a great idea,it's the same family of metals as platinum with a much lower cost. My OH wants palladium for his and we saw loads on Etsy,including his & hers sets for a reasonable price (most ship from the U.S.A.and Canada,but good prices) Also white gold will look different to platinum and will get worn fairly quickly.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics