Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kharv
Beginner March 2012

Plea for help!!! Nighttime cough.

kharv, 11 January, 2013 at 04:08 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 23

Help!!! I've just woken myself up AGAIN with a persistent cough.

I haven't been well this week - I've had a horrible cold and I have a chest infection that I have anti biotics for.

I'm not really coughing much during the day anymore but the night is a different story. It's bad enough that I keep waking H up but we're off to a cottage with his family for the weekend and at this rate I'll be waking the whole house.

Night Nurse works a bit but is there anything else I can try?

It's 4am and I'm sleepy Smiley sad - Currently sat propped up in bed with a cup of warm milk and honey but I'm still coughing.

23 replies

Latest activity by *Bea*, 12 January, 2013 at 13:08
  • Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Oh no it's awful isn't it? I dot know about you but after a coughing fit my throat would be so agitated and feel hot and swollen. I'd get a cold bottle of water and sip but in between sips hold it to my throat. Really really soothed it. Cold rooms also. I find hot stuffy rooms make me cough even more. Those throat sweets that numb your throat too

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Missus - will get some bottles of water to keep in the fridge tonight.

It's so horrible. Woe is me.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Is it a dry cough? If it is then pholcodeine linctus works a treat. It's pretty cheap and all chemists should sell it.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Strepsils help mine a lot...

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Any cough syrup with either pholcodeine or dextromethorphan in it should help. I like Benilyn, but that's only because it's delicious and reminds me of being a kid, I'm sure other brands are equally medically effective!

Hope you're feeling better soon.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I know it's really dangerous but I always have a cough sweet of some sort. Usually I'll spit it out when I'm nodding off, but I have been known to wake up in the morning with it stuck to my face.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Have a chat to your pharmacist as they'll be able to recommend something to work alongside whatever else you're currently taking. Mr S has been suffering with a similar thing (I'm a tired wife!) and the pharmacist recommended tablets called 'Do-Do ChestEze'. Rubbish name but they're really helping him.

I hope you feel better soon, it sucks.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Robitussin (dextromethorphan) is ace for suppressing coughs.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

A bottle of Benilyn for your cough type (dry/mucus/chesty) and maybe prop yourself up a bit at night with pillows? Also, speak to your pharmacist, they are great at recommending the right product for you.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone. The pharmacist suggested Carvonia night time which has the stuff Footlong et al mentioned in it.

Will hopefully get a better nights sleep tonight! Watching Death Becomes Her at 5am isn't ideal.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

The boy has that stuff too.

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

I feel your pain, I've just recovered from a cold and chest infection - at least it gave my abs a good workout!

To help soothe my colds and coughs (both productive and dry), I infuse a slice of lemon with about an inch of ginger with a teaspoon of honey about three times a day. At night I kept a glass of water with me as it's supposed to help thin the mucus or something. I hate the word 'mucus', sorry if it's grossing anyone out!

On a slight aside, I read on the NHS website (I think) that a suppressant shouldn't be used for a productive cough as it's best to get everything out of the system. Makes sense when reading but not sure if this is actually true?

• Alice_In_Wonderland
    Beginner March 2013
    Alice_In_Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

I second the spoonful of honey - really helps me when I wake up with a cough. Also sucking a square of chocolate seems to help too ? I think it coats the throat and kind of "squashes" the tickle (technical term, that!)

Also, I would say stay off the milk - apparently it makes coughing worse.

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

This is also more of a daytime thing but I find that eating something like dry toast helps me when I have an infection as it feels like it scrapes the crap off the back of the throat. It's weirdly soothing.

• Beez
    Beginner May 2016
    Beez ·
    • Hide content

I know some Hitcher might say its a placebo or basically bollards but will you try the Vicks vapourub on the soles of your feet? I've done this me and others including my kids - dont know why but it has worked to a greater or lesser degree...

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Funny enough if ever I wake in the night and can't get back to sleep because of a bad cough, I get up go outside have a cigarette and go back to bed it's the only thing that stops the tickle long enough for me to go back to sleep. (I don't do this for a chesty cough/chest infection though) ha

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Someone told me that letting chocolate melt in your mouth helps

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

I've heard Vicks on the soles of your feet?!!? I've never tried it so really not sure how this would work.

Also, I've used Carvonia and that's pretty good

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Took a couple of swigs of the Corvonia at about 2pm and haven't coughed much since so fingers crossed!

it makes you very drowsy though so these dozen red wines I'm having should be amusing.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I rarely have a cough but if I do the only thing that will shift it is 'Potters Herbal Cough Linctus'. It's a vegetable medicine so won't interfere with any other medication. I mix it with a little warm water and it really helps. It from Holland and Barrat.

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

Funky I totally agree with you there ( well before I gave up when I got pregnant) it was the only thing that calmed me and my throat down enough to get to sleep.

probably not a good idea if you don't already smoke though Kharv ha!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics