Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gemini_Bride
Beginner September 2014

Plea for help with foundation and primers!

Gemini_Bride, 27 of July of 2014 at 17:11 Posted on Planning 0 14

I am currently using illemasque and I am just finding it far too cakey, and just doesn't stay on my face. As a result on photos I am looking a mess and don't want to spend the next 2 months looking like that

My skin is combination and I think this is why it doesn't seem to last. I have a few blemishes so do like a fairly full coverage but will forego this if it looks less patchy. I do like quite a matt look though, I am obsessed with whatever they have done to Rebecca addlinton's skin on the commonwealth games coverage!

can anyone recommend any foundations for skin like that?

i really have issues with spending £20+ on a foundation only to be told actually it isn't going to look great without another £20 spent on the primer. Is this really true or just excuses??

anyway hoping you lovely ladies - especially the MUAs will be able to advise on the best foundations and primers??

14 replies

Latest activity by Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB), 16 of November of 2017 at 12:10
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Tons of people swear by the Smashbox photo finish primer. I found it made my foundation look a bit patchy, but my cheeks are very dry. If you're aren't it's worth a try.

• B
    Beginner April 2015
    BeccaBoo15 ·
    • Hide content

I am in a very similar position. I have oily skin with blemishes so I ve been trying the rimmel lasting finish 25 Hour foundation which stays on my skin really well. With some setting powder on top it stays matte for longer than any other drugstore foundation I have tried, plus it has no SPF so doesn't give flashback in photos. It might be worth a try for you, alternatively I have heard that some mac foundations can be very good but are a lot more expensive.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

I rarely wear make up, but have been making an effort for the wedding! I have the maybelline baby skin pore eraser and maybelline foundation. I have an oily t zone so I have a clear powder from rimmel, clear complexion in transparent I think, to dust over it all to stop the shine. I've tried it all out a few times and it looks great, really natural and very comfortable. Hope that helps!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Oh, I used to wear the foundation without the primer, I think the skin doesn't feel as nice, and I have definitely noticed I don't get spots when using the primer, whereas I did wearing the foundation on its own

• M
    Beginner September 2015
    mrsh2b89 ·
    • Hide content

I don't use a primer but I can't recommended Estée Lauder double wear foundation highly enough. I also have combination skin with blemishes and have tried a lot of foundations. It is £28 a bottle but I'm coming to the end of a bottle I've used since March so it does last.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    Hugill91 ·
    • Hide content

Smash box primer is really good. Mac photo finish foundation is brilliant lasts ages too x

• SunnyOrangeFlowers21
    Beginner August 2014
    SunnyOrangeFlowers21 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I just tweeted her asking what foundation she uses and she came back saying 'Bare Minerals and Make Up Forever One', so there you go! I use Bare Minerals myself - great coverage and feels so natural to wear.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Mineral foundation is loaded with titanium dioxide though, not what you want when you're having a lot of photos taken!

• Cloudy Days
    Beginner
    Cloudy Days ·
    • Hide content

I swear by Clarins everlasting foundation. It's pricey at about £24 a bottle, but I found it perfectly matched my skin and it doesn't need a primer base.

• .A.S.
    Beginner July 2014
    .A.S. ·
    • Hide content

It is so difficult to point you towards the perfect thing without seeing you/touching your mug etc etc etc Smiley xd BUT there is hope.

1) Skincare is at the heart of all good make up... Lets tackle the combination skin THEN find a foundation that works?

2) Primers are awesome... I have just written a post on them on the blog (see below) BUT they're relatively new and not a deal breaker. A cheeky counter girl tip? Ask Smashbox/Clinique/Bare Minerals etc etc etc if you can try one of theirs. They should be obliging and you will have enough for the big day in your sample size pot

3) Please discount Doublewear (Estee Lauder) its an amazing foundation yes, but it flashes back in photography terribly. (Again, see blog for more detail, I posted about it a day or two ago)

4) If you want to avoid the *luxury* end of foundations, Bourjois and Rimmel get really positive feedback, but personally I would rather spend a little more (£24 ish) for Clinique's Superbalance. It's a "Smart Foundation" meaning it nourishes where you are dry and soaks up oil where you are oily. It's also SPF free (yay for photography) and extremely light. It's my personal bridal foundation of choice when working with brides Smiley smile I have yet to find someone it doesnt suit.

Sorry for any typo's - I'm hunched over in the spare room trying to type both speedily and quietly so as not to wake the little one -_-

Hope I helped... I'm always around if you want to talk more in depth Smiley smile I have combination skin too so I know where you are coming from XOX

• Gemini_Bride
    Beginner September 2014
    Gemini_Bride ·
    • Hide content

Aren't you brilliant!!! Thank you, going to investigate now!!!

• Gemini_Bride
    Beginner September 2014
    Gemini_Bride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, massive help, thank you I had hoped you'd respond!!

i am having a monthly dermologica facial, use Liz earle cleanse and polish, dermologica toner and moisturiser and exfoliating and using a clay mask once a week to try and control the skin. No huge difference yet though....

agree completely in spending a little more on the right foundation, just need to find it. Very interested to try the super balance after your tip, I have tried other cliniques and find they slip off but worth a try. Also have heard so much good on here and from others about the bare minerals but was worried about flashback/coverage. But I guess would work for every day??

• H
    HappyIvoryHair934 ·
    • Hide content

My favourite fundation has been Ex1. It looks exactly like skin and does not settle into fine lines or dry patches. It has no flashback and is great for sensetive skin aswell. I dont´t even use primer underneath, because of it´s natural blurring effect. It has a velvety finish and can be build up to a full coverage if desired.

It is gorgeous for photography which is why lots of celebs like Rosie HUntington-Whiteley wear it on the red carpet. It has a nice yellow undertone and cover all rednes. The best thing is: It even is a match to very fair gals.

If you are very dry, just use a rich moisturizer and you´ll be fine. There is no retouching required either, just have blotting papers on hand at it´ll last the whole day.

• M
    Beginner November 2018
    MrsGraves2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I agree with the other comments, the smashbox primer is wonderful! Another alternative to that which I would suggest is the bare minerals prime time primer which has a pretty similar feel on the skin. I use this with a bare minerals liquid foundation that I have so far I have found to look really lovely in photos (worn in my engagement shoot) and has helped with the overall appearence of my skin since I've been using it! A product however that I couldn't live without is the Caudalie Vinosource SOS serum which leaves me skin feeling and looking amazing so with this I feel I could get away with not using a primer as my skin is super soft and hydrated Smiley smile I hope you find what you're looking for!

• Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB)
    Juliet Cunnington (Makeup HIB) ·
    • Hide content

If I was working on you I would use Dior Forever foundation - it's oil free, covers everything and makes your skin look perfect but your skin still looks like skin! Unlike Estee Lauder Double wear which is a no no for bridal makeup as it ghosts out on camera when photographed with a flash Dior Forever is photosafe.

It's best applied with a Real Techniques stippling brush which will push the foundation into the skin and make the foundation look more natural.

If you've an oily tone I highly recommend putting OCEight mattify gel on on oily areas first. I've had this gel in my kit for years and it amazing.

If you're going to invest in the foundation choose a shade with a zero on the end of the number as it's yellow tones and more natural on the skin. Try 3 colours on your collarbone as you want to match your foundation to your body NOT your face. Check the shades outside the shop in daylight and buy the shade that's dissappeared into your skin.

Hope this helps!

Juliet

www.bridalmakeupbyjuliet.co.uk

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics