Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gurzle
Beginner April 2013

Please help!!! Herts and Essex venue opinions and ideas...xxx

Gurzle, 1 of February of 2011 at 18:54 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi Everyone

This is my first ever post, although I have been on this site lots since we got engaged on December 21st...it's just only know that I had a question and this was the first place I thought to go!

We are based in Bishop's Stortford (Herts - but Essex border, so easy access to both counties), and we have about £9500 to spend on the venue and food for day and evening. We are having 65 day guests and about 150 evening. So far, we have seriously considered The Reid Rooms, which will do fab food, free drink all day until 7pm, a BBQ for evening, DJ and staff for about 9200...but for some reason I am hesitating, I know it sounds silly but none of the photos I have seen of the Reid Rooms look very nice, even though the venue is lovely.

We want to get married on a Saturday in July (I know...VERY expensive time!), and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for where else we could look in the area for a similar price?? Or if anyone haas any experience of the Reid Rooms that they could tell me about?

I would REALLY appreciate any help anyone can offer!

Love xxx

9 replies

Latest activity by Jason Clark DJ, 1 of February of 2011 at 22:27
  • Lauren25
    Beginner July 2011
    Lauren25 ·
    • Hide content

There are lots of stunning venues in Essex that I have seen and a couple of weddings Ive been to. Leez priory and Gosfield hall come to mind instantly, although not sure on the prices..

Manor of groves, hanbury manor? All pretty close to you.

Im getting married at Mulberry House in high ongar, I love it its just perfect for us but it depends on what your preferences are, you have a healthy venue budget so I wouldnt of thought youd have any probs getting what you want? ?

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Thank you - I will check all of these out now! xx

• K
    Beginner December 2011
    king george ·
    • Hide content

My sister got married at the priory barn in little wymondley, really lovely surroundings and food and staff are great, places book so quickly now so Id look quick uf its for July this year, we are getting married at three lakes westmill farm in ware lovely views for pics etc x

• theflowerco
    theflowerco ·
    • Hide content

I did a lovely one at Gosfield Hall, no idea of the cost but it was a stunning day!

Good luck!

Zoe x

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Thank you thank you! All so helpful- although my budget might sound healthy, it doesn't seem to be getting me very far on a Saturday in July...I am flexible, in that I would do a Friday too! The thing is, I am a teacher so I have to do school holidays, so it's either Summer or Easter weekend - or go back to work one day after I get married! Eeeeek!! xxxx

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Every suggestion so far has been excellent.

Others to consider might be Quendon Hall and Whitehall Hotel on the B1051. Both have really excellent bridal prep rooms and the latter a really nice feature in the room.

Peter

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Oooh - I grew up in Bishops Stortford and often pop by there. I got married at the Room in the rodings the sister place to the Reid rooms. They have an outside pavillion where you can get married in a meadow and a steam with a boat for a private little trip after the ceremony. Guests can sit on hay bails and have a tractor ride. There is a back up ceremony room if the weather is not on your side. We hired an additional marquee for that venue to accompany the meadow and rooms. The Ried rooms is also nice and I have been to a couple of weddings there. Nice court yard for pictures! Both really nice, good price and offer a blank canvass to source your own catering and booze if required. I also used to work at Down Hall, which is very posh. All are near Bishops Stortford. I will try and dig out some pictures of the room in the rodings for you...

Good luck, and always nice to meet another Stortford lass!

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Here is a picture of the meadow I mentioned. The link to the website is: http://www.roomintherodings.co.uk/meadow_pavilion.shtml

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

Just commenting on The Reid Rooms. A loverly venue, with good reports from B&G we've worked with.

The main problem being reasonable accommodation for guests.

There is a great courtyard that great for evening drinks and chatting.

Otherwise, a list of venues is here;

https://www.hitched.co.uk/wedding-venues/hertfordshire.htm

Find a few that meet your needs and post back for recommendations before you book!

Jasoin

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics