Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner April 2016

Please help me! Moving date forward.

Mogf, 26 of February of 2016 at 21:19 Posted on Planning 0 17

We are moving our wedding from August to April, I've gone from having 6 months, to having just 5 weeks. I know I'm insane, and it's probably going to absolutely tip it down, and my probable sun shine and outdoor as much as possible wedding will now be freezing and probably wet, in a space I loved for the outside.

But. I have moved our date forward. A close family member is terminally ill, that Barsteward, Cancer. It's their 3rd time of battling it, and I need them at my wedding, it is important to me.

We don't have groom or best man suits yet.

I have so far,

+ reorganised the date for the venue (who are also the catering)

+ regorganised the date and time for the registrar

+ called my wonderful Lady at the dress shop who is rushing my dress in. Honestly, this lady is magnificent.

+ talking to the photography company to see if they can rearrange the date. Should know by next week.

+ rearranged the DJ

+ I have my bouquet I've made them myself from fake flowers

+ I have bridesmaid dresses

what do I need to do? This has all come about today, so my mind is like mud. I need to start letting people know!

17 replies

Latest activity by Mogf, 4 of March of 2016 at 20:53
  • E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

Oh no, I'm so sorry but at least this way you'll have your family member with you to celebrate. You seem to have the main points covered, suits can easily be sorted with a trip to the city centre. Most important is to get your invitations out asap, it might be quicker to ring people if there aren't too many guests as your venue will need to get the final numbers a good week or two before the wedding.

Are you having hair and makeup done? You'll need to get that sorted if it's something you want. Also accessories and shoes for you and any bridesmaid dresses etc. Then there's any decorations, guest book and any favours if you're doing them.

If I think of anything else I'll be sure to pop it down! Best of luck!

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExpensivePinkCars201 ·
    • Hide content

RINGS! Whoops!

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

Oh no sorry to hear. But also exciting as I have 5 weeks too! What date have you got? Have you sorted jewellery and bridesmaids stuff if your having any?

• T
    Beginner May 2016
    Tidal Wave ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear this; but all the little things can be sorted.

Suits in all honesty Primark, Next, M&S anything else will be fine.

Rings, H Samuel were brilliant with us, however Warren James very good, we had a problem with one BM necklace excellent customer service.

Table pieces etc, that's one night on Ebay. Do not stress it is all going to go well as the main things are sorted. It is lovely to bring forward your wedding but you've sorted out the main bits the little bits, there's Primark and Ebay. Just look towards the happy bits.

• M
    Beginner May 2017
    MrsW2017 ·
    • Hide content

Ahh im sorry you have had to move it forward.

Do you need to organise a cake and seating plan?

• L
    Beginner June 2016
    Lexi_K ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry to hear about your family member Smiley sad

like others have already said, I would prioritise inviting people. Also, with suits we just bought some really nice dark grey suits from M&S for £79 each. I'm very impressed with them, especially considering the price.

Good luck!

lexi Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    Mogf ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone, I just all of a sudden hit panic mode after confirming the date change. I'm now getting married on April 2nd!

Right. Inviting people is the main thing to focus on. I will call all ceremony people today, and get evening ones handed out over the next day or so. I had been so organised and have all of these beautiful invites, that I now can't use as I can't just cross out dates and times ?

Rings we can go to H Samuels this week, and a Next, BHS, M&S or Debenhams, perhaps M&S first £79 sounds a brilliant price. Bridesmaids have their shoes and I have them little necklace gifts they can wear. I have shoes. I don't have underwear! Table seating isn't an issue, we are having an informal hog roast with (if your sensitive look away now) Paper plates. I don't have a clue about table dressing, do I have to cover the tables with clothes? Cake I think I'm going to go to M&S and pick up one of their sponge traditional cake things.

What have I missed?

Thank you you all so much for your help

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    Mitteltobe ·
    • Hide content

Hi Mogf,

depending on your venue, you may need table cloths, I'm ordering mine off amazon....actually, I'm getting MOST things off amazon, including my hair slide and bridesmaids hair accessories.

This is probably the last thing on your mind but will you do favours and thank you gifts? We've just had some love heart sweets personalised with our 'mr&mrs' name on them and they arrived (from Amazon) within 5 days. Cheap and cheerful! And for thank you gifts we're giving our bridesmaids and family members theatre vouchers.

Have the venue given you any thoughts on alternative plans (in case) it rains? My friend got married on the wettest bank holiday EVER but we all had matching umbrellas which looked FAB in the photos!(just a thought) again, you could Amazon these and return if not used.

Do you need to sort out transport for the day?

If you're a face Booker it might be easier and quicker to set up a group page for everyone you want at the wedding so you can update them on times etc as the day gets nearer, rather than having to ring everyone

If I think of anything else I'll come back to you.

Good luck with the planning....I BET your day ends up being soooo much better than you'd imagined because you haven't got time to worry about silly little things that in the grand scheme of things don't matter!!

my thoughts are with you and your family member though at this very difficult time xx

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

I think everyone else have covered a lot of things, so I just want to say that there is nothing you NEED for a wedding other than your fiance, someone to perform the ceremony, and the people who are important to you to be there to witness it, which you are ensuring by moving things forward. The rest is all unnecessary extras. So if something doesn't go to plan or you can't sort it in time, don't worry about it. You already have everything that matters.

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    Mogf ·
    • Hide content

Again, thank you to you all. I have now organised a cake, m&s 3 tier traditional cake bottom layer chocolate, top two plain sponge. We have the groom's suit also from m&s a lovely man helped measure and find one that looks wonderful. I've reordered invite bits with the new date and time, they should come tomorrow so I can hand those out. Everyone for the ceremony have been informed of the date change. I am hoping my photography company will be able to reschedule for the new date, they have said they will contact me this coming week.

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

Same date as me! Where's your venue?

Have you sorted your music?

You'll get there you still have 5 weeks

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Mogf, there's not much else to add to this (sorry, I read the fitness thread before finding this one) but if you need me for anything all you need to do is holler.

Sounds like you're on top of most things, but as others have said: as long as you, your OH, the registrar and your loved ones are there, everything else is a happy extra.

Thinking of you and your family at this time xx

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    Mogf ·
    • Hide content

Argh! Music! I need to organise the music and readings for the ceremony! What on earth am I going to walk to? Or sign to? Anyone throw some suggestions at me, my mind is like a tangle of spaghetti. I'm sorry, I just seem so useless! On the positive side, my dress should definitely be in and I have my first fitting on Saturday!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Search wedding music. There was a huge post not so long ago with lots and lots of suggestions that people were using.

Reading wise probably the same. We had the one about trees becoming one from captain Corelli's mandolin. We also had a surprise one as the registrar in Lapland asked if she could read a poem and it was lovely. I did post it on here for others to use. Possibly as Lapland wedding reading or poem.

• Rachalan
    Beginner April 2016
    Rachalan ·
    • Hide content

Sorry it's such a rubbish reason to move the date, we get married in 5 weeks and 5 days, we only sorted out rings on Saturday - I'd say do that 1st as OH is going to take 3 weeks to arrive, also the suits

If you're having a photographer speak to them, same with hair and make up, most people are good with short term and if they have availability can be really accommodating, try to enjoy the whirlwind Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    Mogf ·
    • Hide content

All of your points are keeping me sane. We have organised the rings today, got the bridesmaids shawls as they have strapless dresses and the photographer has confirmed they're available! Re dated invites have been printed and most of them given out.

first dress fitting tomorrow, the shop has been wonderful. I think it's coming together, is there anything glaringly obvious I'm missing?

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

Have you already decided on music, readings? That was one of the things that took me ages.

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    Mogf ·
    • Hide content

We have decided no readings as no one is particularly willing, and music should hopefully be decided tonight. Music has been difficult, I didn't think it would be so tough. Thanks Jayne

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics