Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Erin8
Beginner June 2014

Please help me with balloons!

Erin8, 30 of April of 2014 at 12:37 Posted on Planning 0 17

I thought it would be nice to have a few helium balloons at our wedding party. I thought it might be cheaper to buy the balloons online and then get them filled up with helium the day before. Does anyone know if shops offer this service? Or would l be best buying the balloons and getting them filled up with helium at the same time and place?

17 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveBrownDiamonds416, 10 of October of 2015 at 19:07
  • M
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrslizziew2be ·
    • Hide content

You can buy the helium online, pretty sure you can get it on eBay, then a shop won't charge you.

• donnyette
    Beginner December 2016
    donnyette ·
    • Hide content

Sorry no helpmhere but will be following this thread with interest as I have been thinking the same thing. Currently have ballons in my basket on amazon to buy if only I can decide about helium x

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry I can't offer any advice on this but in my opinion would you not be better, i.e. less hassle for you, to get them ready filled from somewhere - i'm sure some places will even deliver to save you another job?

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Card shops like Clintons and some florists have helium, I don't know how much they charge but shouldn't be much.

• *RMD*
    Beginner April 2015
    *RMD* ·
    • Hide content

You can buy helium at Asda

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content

You can buy little bottles of helium from most supermarkets, think they do about 40 balloons. The only thing I'd be worried about is that depending on what balloons you bought, they might not last if done before. We did some the day before a party, just using normal latex balloons and they were flat by the next morning. I know you can buy a product online called hi-float though which you put in the balloons before and it makes them stay inflated longer.

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you can get hi-float I would recommend it. I got some balloons for my birthday party in October last year and 2 of them are still going strong with this hi-float in. I keep getting picture updates from my friend whos got one. She said it'll be a sad day when Trevor goes (just to clarify it was a ghost balloon from a halloween party, not sure who/how the name come about lol0

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

The big online party retailers that sell balloons will also sell helium so you can get it all in one. If you want one of those giant wedding balloons check out Eagle Eyed Bride

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

Like lotte said the supermarket ones only stay up about 12 hours. Not sure about the metallic balloons though. Card shops do them, hobby craft and florist. You can also hire the can of helium too but I think it works out a little expensive. What about that cheep card shop I can't remember it's name is it worth asking if you get your balloons from there if they can do you a better deal. Oh card factory that's it.

• N
    Beginner June 2014
    nemi ·
    • Hide content

I am having balloons at my wedding and I am doing it all myself. I bought a bottle of helium on amazon for just under £25 and that is enough to do 50 balloons.

Hope that helps.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I've done this a few times getting the helium from cash and carry places - Costco, or online - ebay. I've also used foil and latex balloons. As has been said - you need hi-float if you're going to have latex balloons to be sure they stay up.

If you're thinking of the foil balloons, which stay up forever, then just get the helium bottles as described above and fill them the day before - they'll be fine. The bottles often come as kits with 30, 40 or 50 latex balloons. It still works out cheaper to get the kit and just don't use the balloons that come with the helium as they often don't match what you want anyway.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I recently did this for my sons birthday. I bought large foil balloon dolphins from DHgate, which is a Chinese wholesale site and takes about 4 weeks but is super cheap. I then bought a canister of gas from the party section in Sainsburys which I think was about 23 pounds, but because the balloons were large and the first couple were under inflated so didn't float we only ended up with enough for about 10 balloons.

• T
    Beginner May 2015
    Tooinvolvedgroom ·
    • Hide content

I can give you a good answer re. this as I own a partyware shop and also run an internet site selling partyware.

Firstly, with regards to buying the supermarket helium canisters - don't bother. The facts given usually state how many 9inch balloons the canisters will inflate; most latex (rubber style) balloons you will want to be using are 11inch (9onch are much too small to look effective and have a much more limited lifespan), if you plan to use the metallic foil balloons then these are 18inch, both these balloon sizes use much more helium to inflate than a 9inch and as such the quantity of balloons that you can inflate from these canisters is greatly reduced. The most cost effective option is to ask a store that sells balloons to inflate them for you (we charge anywhere between 50p and £1 to inflate a standard balloon and up to £2 to inflate the large shapes/numbers/letters).

a few points to consider -

ordering online and asking a party shop to inflate is one way to ensure you get the exact balloons you require but consider going in store and showing the shop owner what it is you require as this will likely be a cheaper option of they can source the item for you as by ordering the items and getting them inflated seperately means that both sites want to make a profit on their sale.

As mentioned before, if using latex balloons (rubber style) make sure to ask for hi-float, this increases the balloon float time from around 18 hours to well over a week - if you are planning on dressing the room yourself it also means that you can do this earlier and not rush around on the day of the wedding. Any good retailer will have the hi float in stock and 'shouldn't' charge you extra for using it. If a party shop / florist doesn't have or offer it then consider walking away as they 'likely' don't have much experience.

if you want quite a few balloons then ordering direct from a store will definitely assist in negotiations with regards to asking the store to attend the venue and decorate it with the balloons for you - we will happily do this for no charge if an order is over a certain price (£50 ish depending on day required and location from shops).

foil balloons (metallic) will last at least a week looking there best and as mentioned before, a large shape can stay inflated for months (although not fullly inflated as some helium will leak from the balloon) - there is no need to treat a foil balloon with hi float, in fact it can't be done, so don't make a fool of yourself asking for your foil balloons to have hi float added to them.

if you do decide to buy your own canister then be aware that a large shape/number balloon will be the equivalent of perhaps 10 normal latex or foil balloons, possibly more depending on the balloon size.

if you have asked for hi float to be added to your latex I would recommend telling your guests not to use the balloons for helium voice (I would recommend this anyway as it can be dangerous to your health) but especially on hi float treated balloons as I couldn't tell you what exactly it is made of, but it's not the nicest substance to use (very sticky and gooey)

If doing balloons yourself have you factored in costs of weights, ribbons, wastage, time taken to do them, stress of them likely not looking as good as a professional job etc. These coats may well make it more coat effective to just 'go pro'

shop around without being cheeky - small businesses should value your honesty if you tell them you have a set budget, don't want to spend that much etc, but remember that these guys have to make a living too - you may well find a card factory that will inflate a balloon for 25p each but an independent shop owner will almost certainly put more effort into how the balloons look etc.

just a few points there that I thought of in no particular order. Feel free to use/ignore as much or as little as is relevant to you. I've been in the industry for over 10 years at both a wholesale and retail level.

if you need any other advice/questions just ask.

*Mods* I hope no advertising rules have been breached here - I have only intended to provide advice and am not touting for any business, our order book is full for the time being anyhow Smiley smile

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

You really do learn all sorts on this site.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the information and help everyone. I think the way to go is to buy an arrangement from a local card shop which l spotted the other day. I am going back on Monday with Mr Erin to look at them

• E
    Beginner January 1999
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds416 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, i read that you own a partyware shop and also run an internet site selling partyware, I am wondering is it possible for you to give me the link of your website?

• E
    Beginner January 1999
    • Hide content

Hi, i read that you own a partyware shop and also run an internet site selling partyware, I am wondering is it possible for you to give me the link of your website?

• E
    Beginner January 1999
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics