Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner April 2018

Please help - Unasking a bridesmaid

RomanticPinkBridesmaid923, 31 of July of 2017 at 23:49 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 3

Hi everyone

So having a huge problem with one of my bridesmaids. It's been eating me up to the point of anxiety. I need to un-ask one of my bridesmaids. These are my reasons and just want to know if i'm being unreasonable so please be honest.

This bridesmaid has been a friend of mine for 5 years, we went to university together - my other bridesmaids are lifelong friends. I'm a bridesmaid for this girl as well and she asked me 2 years ago, her wedding is in 2 weeks time. At the time I was thrilled but over the 2 years the bills have wracked up for her wedding and as it stands the bride has paid for NOTHING.

We have paid for our own shoes (which have to be a certain colour), dress (which we were handed and had no say in although they were only £50), hair and make up, overnight wedding accommodation and travel, hen weekend and obviously paid for the bride. Additionally I hosted the bride and her family for 2 days at home where I cooked breakfast and dinner each evening.

So the bride has paid for NOTHING for her bridesmaids and this has upset me hugely. I have never heard of any bride doing this let alone a best friend. I think its outrageous. We are paying to be her bridesmaids.

We are constantly being asked for money month after month, again just 2 weeks before the wedding.

i now don't want to have her as my bridesmaid any more but don't want to ruin the friendship. I know it will have an impact but to be honest with the way she's treated us (her own bridesmaids) i'm not overly concerned.

Am I within my rights to say I can't have her anymore and if so I had planned to use the excuse that I want to have my oldest school friends and its nothing personal etc.

Any advice welcome as this is tearing me up. Thanks so much. Smiley smile

3 replies

Latest activity by SunnyIvoryStationery863, 3 of October of 2017 at 11:06
  • R
    Beginner June 2018
    RomanticBrownCakes683 ·
    • Hide content

Within your rights as you put it most certainly, however you cannot do this and expect your friendship to maintain. Please remember they are two individual weddings so her mistakes do not knock onto your wedding. 'Nothing personal' I see this as very personal.

• R
    RomanticYellowHair891 ·
    • Hide content

Exactly

• L
    Beginner July 2022
    LuxuriousOrangeCars911 ·
    • Hide content

I think you should do how you feel. It's your wedding after all. However it is also her prerogative to also choose how she does things for her own wedding too. Not one wedding is the same. My sister is making her bridesmaids pay for our own attire too. She's let us go free for all on where we get then from as long as they stay within our assigned colours and style (I'll be hiring mine for a few days).

Perhaps you should should talk to your friend about your feelings towards the situation and that you feel close to insulted that you have to pay your way for her wedding, but you're covering her for yours. Maybe if she knew she would try to make it right by you and offer to pay for her bridesmaids attire. I personally wouldn't uninvite her from being a bridesmaid... yet at least. Just tell her your feelings Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner December 2027
    SunnyIvoryStationery863 ·
    • Hide content

It's you wedding. Do what your heart says. Don't have any regrets.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics