Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner May 2011

Please help! Wedding horse shoe favours - any ideas?

notyetMrsT, 7 December, 2010 at 19:31 Posted on Planning 0 4

I really, really need some brilliant ideas and help for my wedding favours. Ok, so I am being a cheapskate and using horseshoes , I need to clean and spray paint about 140 of them and hang them behind each chair.

So, 1 - what is the best (& easiest) way to clean 140 horseshoes & 2 - what is the best way to secure ribbon to them (if you thread it though the nail holes, they don't hang straight if you see what I mean).

please please any ideas most gratefully received and appreciated with Ben & Jerrys, cookies, wine (red or white) and a lindt chocolate reindeer.

Thanks Smiley laugh

4 replies

Latest activity by notyetMrsT, 7 December, 2010 at 20:29
  • Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I would imagine it would be easiest to clean them with a wire brush before you paint them. You could hang the ribbon the other way so that they are level & hang up straight like this:

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Where are you getting the shoes from? If you are getting them from a farrier you could ask him to stick stud holes in the top of the shoes (which are a bit bigger than normal nail holes as you screw studs in to stop the horses slipping on wet, muddy ground) and would be easy to thread ribbon through & will probably hang straighter. If you use the nail holes because most horses have 4 nails on the outside of their foot & 3 on the inside it will be really difficult to get them to hang straight as you are finding!

To clean them up I would stick them in a bucket of water with a bit of cillit bang for ten minutes. Put your rubber gloves on & start scrubbing with a nail brush. It's a slow process but it's about the only way to get into the groove in the middle of the shoe to get all the mud & crud out.

• N
    Beginner May 2011
    notyetMrsT ·
    • Hide content

See that is how i would like them to look! but sadly the reality of a horseshoe is that the nail holes are actually a lot lower down. My farrier has given me about 3 buckets of shoes that look like this:

so there lies the problem!! Smiley sad

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Can you ask your farrier to put an extra hole at th top? or even wind the ribbon at the top & glue with a hot melt glue gun so that they are level.

• N
    Beginner May 2011
    notyetMrsT ·
    • Hide content

Do you think glue will work? All the shoes are various sizes and I suspect that the holes may be blocked. I am not sure I can ask for stud holes to be put in - I have about 140 of them!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics