Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Katrina
Dedicated February 2025 West Midlands

Pleasing parents compromise

Katrina, 14 of February of 2024 at 21:16 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 8
I just wanted a small intimate wedding close family only. I shared with my Dad our guest list he said he felt offended that I didn't invite more of his family I have more of my mums side as I am closer to them. The thing is I hardly see my Dad side of the family. It always used to be me and my dad reaching out to my dad's family members. My Dad was so upset so I had to compromise saying some of the family he wants can come in the evening 😒. I really don't care to see them they have never really been there for me. I am so annoyed that they will be turning up.

I didn't want to upset my Dad further. I suppose good thing is it will just be the evening not at the wedding ceremony. Gave my dad two +1's so my aunties might come or one cousin depending. We will not be having a 1st dance or traditional music. We will be having classical music with strings etc something a bit different.
I have to make peace that they will be there I guess. I won't see them after for a few years I bet :/ it won't be so intimate after all.

8 replies

Latest activity by Monster, 10 of April of 2024 at 07:26
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry - it's so hard when our loved ones start with the emotional blackmail!

I think you are right that now you have invited these people, you just have to make peace with the idea of them being there. But presumably there won't be a huge number of extra guests, if your original guest list was small and the extra ones only invited to even up both sides? So hopefully it won't be that different to how you originally envisioned it.

I think that when you have to accept compromise for the sake of family peace, the best thing you can do is just to focus on the actual marriage and remind yourself that nothing can take away from you and your OH making your vows to each other. I hope you still enjoy the day in spite of the extra guests x

• Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you for your words ") I probably won't talk to them much either. Some could say they can't make it. Or don't want to go as they were not invited all day.
    What does OH stand for? I bet it is something obvious but I can't think lol.
  • Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    Is it official husband?!=)
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

'Other Half'

• Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Lol thanks for decoding!=)
  • Lissette_Petrie
    New York
    Lissette_Petrie ·
    • Hide content

It's good that you stay on good terms with your dad. I think you did the right thing.

• Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Many thanks Smiley smile I think so too 5 extra people in the evening is not to bad on the grand scheme of things. Still we don't know if they will all show up.
  • Katrina
    Katrina ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hope your plans are going well!=)xo

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics