Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner September 2012

Plus Size Bridesmaid Dresses - need a shop with some in stock!

PhoenixAngelic, 28 January, 2012 at 14:52 Posted on Planning 0 6

After another trip to find the perfect dresses for my adult BMs, we have come to the conclusion that until we can find somewhere which actually stocks dresses in larger sizes (rather than just being available to order) we won't actually be able to come to any decisions.

We need to find a shop which has a range of styles/colours in sizes 18+, not just one dress in a random colour which isn't anywhere near what we'd want.

Any ideas? I am willing to travel up to 2 hours from Oxfordshire if we can guarantee that there will be at least 5 or 6 dresses on the rack which could be tried on.

(Can you tell it's getting a little fraught? lol)

6 replies

Latest activity by sugarbox, 29 January, 2012 at 08:27
  • G
    Beginner April 2012
    gheko ·
    • Hide content

We had big problems with this too, infact i just got one today and am getting married in April. Its seems that bridal shops only stock samples of sizes 10-14 and you dont know if a dress is going to suit until you try it on. I got one in the sale today off the rack, just needs some minor alterations.

Good luck

• Linziloo84
    Beginner May 2012
    Linziloo84 ·
    • Hide content

I got my BM's dresses from a shop called Supernova Bridal in Datchet near Slough in Berkshire. I'm sure it's under 2 hours from Oxfordshire easily.

They have alot of dresses in larger sizes, one of my BM's is a size 18 but had to get 22 to fit her. The dress in the design I've chosen is in the shop in a size 20 but still fitted ok as a sample to get an idea of what it looked like on!

Hope this helps!

• P
    Beginner September 2012
    PhoenixAngelic ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Linzi. That's a good recommendation and actually I found their details online earlier, rang and left a message but no one called me back. I'll try them again in the week and hope they are able to talk to me.

Elderberry Brides in Basingstoke did respond this afternoon and we're going to pop to see them too.

Fingers crossed we'll find something in one of them!

Nightmare isn't it? When will these shops ever learn that the majority of the population would not fit into the tiny dresses that are hanging on their rails? At a time when us girls really want a princess moment, we're left feeling despondent and 'abnormal'. I used to be a size 30 and had the most dreadful time finding a dress - Elderberry Brides was the answer to my prayers back then (a few years ago now). But even now as a size 12, I have found that the wedding dress in many bridal shops are just so small that I still can't fit into them!

A plea to the bridal shops out there - please remember that we are not all this tiny 'normal' that you seem to think we are (although fair play to anyone who is - I'm not criticising you for one second). Some of us are curvy, some of us are tall, some of us are curvy and tall. But we all want a gorgeous frock to wear for our wedding or when we're going to something special. Please make sure we can try them on and then we might actually get to give you our hard earned cash!

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

Supernova in Datchet are fab, I got my wedding dress from there. They have actually branched out their plus size range into a new store over the road which is called Daisy Love, so might be worth trying to call the new store direct.

• K
    Beginner July 2012
    kittypuss85 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hijack the thread - but any recommendations for shops near kent would also be much appreciated.

I am a size 22, and although i do plan on losing weight before my wedding - i still need to go and try on dresses, I would rather a lovely experience with plenty of choice, than a just a few "oh we might be able to squeeze you in this one"

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Look for shops stocking the sonsie range from veromia. They're amazing dresses for larger sizes.

• sugarbox
    Beginner December 2012
    sugarbox ·
    • Hide content

I think you can find dresses online,it's a good way to get dresses .I want to recommend a website to you.You can try weddingdressesforever.com,i think this website is well and there are many dresses you can choose .This website can custom made dresses ,i think it's more suit for your bridesmaids .You can trust it ,because they will provide high qiality with dresses and good service for customers ,these are important for customers ,these are important for customers .You could contact the customer service for customers ,tell them your requirements.They will give a discount for customers ,it's a good way to get dresses .That's just my opinion,i hope it can help you ,good luck for you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics