Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner August 2013

Plus size Mother of the Bride advice?

Janey4, 10 of May of 2013 at 16:02 Posted on Planning 0 14

My lovely Mum is DREADING looking for her outfit for the wedding and I really want to make it as stress free as possible for her.

My Dad passed away 11 years ago, so it will be my Mum walking me down the aisle and shes really not looking forward to having everyone looking as us as we come in!

She's not a shopper, hardly ever spends anything on herself re hair/clothes ect and is much happier gardening at home, than seeing her friends/going out -putting it bluntly shes a bit of a hermit, but a happy one!

Everytime I mention starting looking for her outfit, she gets a bit cross, but only because I know she doesnt 'do' shopping and thinks she will look horrible in everything.

Shes size 20ish, 66 and wont want anything too formal -can anyone recommend some good shops I can try?

14 replies

Latest activity by louise fisher, 16 of May of 2013 at 11:00
  • E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

H

• C
    Beginner December 2015
    Cariss1 ·
    • Hide content

You can try this on line store justthebeginnings.com. I suggest having her professionally measured for a nice fit and then maybe shopping on line will take away her stress of having to try something on.

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Sorry about my other message-I pressed send accidentally! I was thinking that perhaps you could order online or from a catalogue so she can try them on in comfort in her own home. Somewhere like Isme or Simply Be may be worth a look? Other than that, you could maybe try Evans (not sure what their website is like but just an idea) I can definitely recommend Simply Be-they have some great stuff.

Emma :-)

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

I would like to second this query, my Mum is very similar and has asked for help finding an outfit. I've had a look on Marisota, Jaques Vert and Fifty Plus (and alot of these brands seem to be linked as the same items keep cropping up) and there's some nice stuff, mainly dresses, but she has particularly said she would prefer something like trousers with a long floaty jacket, and I am struggling with that a bit.

• Mrs_EFC_2b
    Beginner April 2015
    Mrs_EFC_2b ·
    • Hide content

I know exactly what you mean my Mum will be giving me away too and although the wedding is 2015 she's already panicking about her outfit. She is around a size 20 and has a really clear idea about what she wants to wear. So I've suggested perhaps getting something made, it actually doesn't look too expensive. Maybe have a look in your local area especially if your mum knows what she wants but just can't find it!!!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

My mum is a similar age and size with similar views of spending silly money (as she calls it) on clothes. I think we'll be sticking to good old Marks and Spencers for a nice skirt and top. It's what she is comfortable with and that's what matters.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

The brands above are all good options. You could also try the personal shopper service at somewhere like John Lewis/Debenhams - I'm sure they deal with this sort of thing all the time, so will be able to help!

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

When she hs chosen her outfit i can help her with a pretty fascinator. If she looks at my site and finds one i can send it straight to her or i can send a colour swatch to match her outfit.

Hope that helps

Lynne

www.weddingfascinator.co.uk

• J
    Beginner
    josephine ·
    • Hide content

I think you should go to John Lewis and get a personal shopper. I have heard very good things about them. They will know what will suit your mother's shape and size and may really be able to pull something out of the hat. They will do all the leg work, so that your mum can relax. My mil-2-b had a personal shopper in debenhams the other day, and found her outfit that way.

• karenluke22
    Beginner August 2013
    karenluke22 ·
    • Hide content

My mother in law to be is having trouble finding her outfit too (or I am) she's a size 22 and in a wheelchair all the time, she doesn't do dresses so wants separates... We are going in a couple of weeks to have a look. I had a little look round the other day in Debenhams, they have some lovely dresses in there or Evans or Bhs. That's where I'm going. X

• Piestar
    Beginner April 2014
    Piestar ·
    • Hide content

Something similar I'm having a problem with, except this is for my best friend and bridesmaid, she's roughly a size 24-26 and I want to buy her a dress as a present that she can wear again so I don't want it too bridesmaidy. We had a mooch round Meadowhall and she got a bit depressed as nothing was big enough with BHS and Debenhams stopping at a 22. Its a shame as BHS do some lovely ones at £40-50 which is an OK price, although if I found something cheaper which would be even better. Been looking on eBay, but its hard as obviously you have to be able to send it back if its no good, and she's short, so we don't want anything too long. She's 23 if that helps anyone give me ideas. ?

• Loving Your Curves ~ UK's First Plus Size Wedding Fair
    Loving Your Curves ~ UK's First Plus Size Wedding Fair ·
    • Hide content

Hi Janey4,

For your mum I would try John Lewis they offer a personal shopping service and you could both make a day of it and go out for lunch after Smiley smile
    For a designer dress try www.drapiere.com
    Piestar for your bridesmaid dress you could always customise/ alter a dress once purchased so do keep an open mind (I am a size 20 so understand the frustrations).
    If you date is next year then you can always pop down to our wedding fair in September - there will be lots of Plus Size designers and retailers. www.lovingyourcurves.co.uk
  • J
    Beginner August 2013
    Janey4 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for all your replies!

Will let you know how we get on!

• Piestar
    Beginner April 2014
    Piestar ·
    • Hide content

Hi Loving You Curves,

Thanks for your reply, problem is I can only really spend about £50 on a dress or cheaper as we really don't have much money. The wedding fair sounds fun, but is a bit far for me with it being in London. I also work on a Sunday so would have to try and swap.

• louise fisher
    Beginner July 2014
    louise fisher ·
    • Hide content

So touching,and moving....

Considering about all these elements that you mentioned,it is better for you to ask some professional ones who can give you advice about the style of your mother's dress.

Of course,there is theme for your wedding,that meant your bridal gown and your mother's dress should be matchable,for some details,for example,a flower,or the design..

It is just a suggestion,but may be you can have a try,do you know

avivadress?on line store,they may help you find out a proper one for you mum.

and hope this Coupon Code:XQ10USDOFF will help you too.

I ever bought my mum attire,but not dress,she did not say any thing,but I knew,she was happy.Your mum will be happy too,I believe.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics