Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

DrBuffles
Beginner August 2014

Pocket Squares - today's silly thing to worry about

DrBuffles, 25 of April of 2014 at 14:50 Posted on Planning 0 12

So, I've just been discussing with the best men what colour shoes they and the Ushers will wear on the day (triggered by another post on here!) OH is planning to wear brown shoes but I am happy for the others to wear black as not all boys have smart brown shoes.

The best men are wearing grey 3 pc suits, white shirts and black ties. Similar to this

OH is wearing pale pink, similar to this

I had got a pale pink pocket square for OH that matches the tie but according to the Best men it is important that they have them and it is a faux pas if they match the tie. Argh.

So, do i get them all a white one? That's what both of these pictures have I guess. Not even sure why I'm rambling on! Just need reassurance from people that understand these things matter!

12 replies

Latest activity by alyj66, 26 of April of 2014 at 19:47
  • kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

we are having the same shirts and navy ties as you and I've been told by our well dressed best man that white pocket squares will look best.

I'll admit that I have no clue about pocket squares so I think I'll just go with what he said.

For your Oh blush is pretty pale so I can't see it being a problem and will think that it will look nice.

will keep a watch on this thread to see what others say

x

• T
    Beginner November 2014
    tiptopbride ·
    • Hide content

What? Pocket squares shouldn't match the tie? I thought the opposite! My OH is planning red ties and pocket squares!!!

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

Apparently not. This GQ's view on the whole thing. Far to complicated! The boys are proving harder to dress than the girls!

https://www.gq.com/gallery/the-gq-guide-to-pocket-squares

• T
    Beginner November 2014
    tiptopbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmm the little devil on my shoulder is telling me not to tell him. We were just getting somewhere with all of that. Nope I have to tell him, I can't have the men committing a fashion faux pas. They're going to end up in dresses at this rate...so much easier than coordinating suits, shirts, shoes and now ties and pocket squares ?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

NOT matching! It's taken me ages to find tie and pocket square MATCHING!! He won't know, seriously he won't know, I'm not going to tell him as he won't care. Need to get another shirt though....

ETA and I've folded it wrong.

• J
    Beginner May 2015
    Jayla ·
    • Hide content

Why do they sell them as a pair then?

Havinb said that, I've just ordered ties and pocket squares from next and although they're both mint, the pocket square is spotty and the tie is plain. In bhs, they were both plain though.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I'm liking that, it's clever.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

Well sh1t in my pocket and call me Derek ?

I totally thought they had to match, and would have directed my OH as such, had he not already decided to go for a slightly more casual look without one (he is still wearing a three-piece). I must refresh my memory - quick - off to get the Big Book of British Etiquette out!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

It's official, as according to Debretts;

TIE RULES

DO buy silk ties with a wool interlining. It will feel classier, look better and last longer.

DO wear a tie clip to add a little extra to your tie.

DO remember that wool ties can create a different and intriguing look.

DO experiment. Ties serve no practical purpose, so they may as well serve a sartorial one.

DO roll ties up, but never fold them, when packing. Should they emerge wrinkled, hang them in a steamy bathroom rather than iron them.

DON'T tuck your tie into your trousers. It should reach just above the waistband, but never be inside it.

DON'T match your tie to a pocket square. It couldn't be more wrong.

DON'T leave your tie at half-mast. A tie, when worn with a suit, should be properly done up.

DON'T be too extreme. Too wide and you look like a wind-sock, too narrow and you'll look like a country and western singer.

DON'T ever go novelty. Flowers, stripes and bold colours are fine, The Simpsons is not.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh, this may become my life motto

• EdenNI
    Beginner December 2014
    EdenNI ·
    • Hide content

I love this! Like nothing on earth could be more wrong that matching ties and pocket squares! Learning something new every day!

• S
    Beginner July 2014
    Shely ·
    • Hide content

Oh good grief!! I cannot tell you the total fiasco to find suitable ties and MATCHING ruddy pockets!!! I have them and they are wrong!!! Off to a corner to cry!!! Bloomin weddings!!! :-D

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

DrBuffles, I'm resurrecting this thread as I am triumphant in saying I have found the pocket square to go with the tie.

Tie

Suit

I need to find a white double collar shirt and hubs is complete.

Just wanted to also say that this has been the thread with the most fun, thank you.

• You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics