Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner

Pod coffee machines - are they a faff

Headless Lois, 6 of August of 2008 at 19:41 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 17

I have just looked at one - it had a couple of handles on the front and looks faffy. I am looking for the quickest thing next to instant that tastes better.

L
xx

17 replies

Latest activity by SunnyOrangeBridesmaid60536, 7 of December of 2017 at 13:55
  • Baby Buns
    Beginner September 2007
    Baby Buns ·
    • Hide content

How much do you drink? If you're likely to go through a fair few cups, I'd go for a filter machine every time - brew once and it stays warm (if not very fresh after an hour!)

• MD
    Beginner
    MD ·
    • Hide content

I have a filter machine, use it lots and gives lovely coffee (cost about £20.00 from Asda)

My brother has a pod one and I always find the coffee way too weak in it and you can't regulate that

• janeyh
    janeyh ·
    • Hide content

I have a nespresso one that i really like - but it was expensive to buy and the pods are 20 - 25p each which is quite a lot if you have a habit like mine

i alternate between cafetiere and the machine

the main faf is that you cant buy the pods in the shops (they have a shop in london but havent seen one anywhere else)

but you dont have to clean it like a normal espresso machine so that is good

• MightyQuin
    Beginner
    MightyQuin ·
    • Hide content

We have a Dolce Gusto, we used to have a filter machine but we never used it as it was too much trouble to make the coffee, so we got rid of it. We use the Dolce Gusto far more, it's nice coffee (but the pods are quite expensive). My mum has a Senseo machine which is even easier to use and makes nice coffee too, but not as many varieties.

• NeoShoegal
    NeoShoegal ·
    • Hide content

We've got a bean to cup machine from Gaggia. Just put in the coffee beans and water, press a button and about 30 seconds later you have a cup of fresh coffee. Brilliant. MrNeo loves it!

I don't drink coffee but I do like that it also makes the best hot chocolate using that steamer thingy

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

We have a bean to cup at home. I don't drink coffee, but I do appreciate the fafflessness of it. However, it was pricey for a good one.

A filter coffee machine is not an option, I want to be able to make a cup at a time, on demand, for customers.

L
    xx

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We have a pod one at work. It's a fancy-ass milk-frothing number and it makes lovely, faffless coffee but is slow.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content

Do you stick a pod in and it does all the coffee/milk frothing bit itself, or does it require your input?

L
    xx

• A
    Beginner April 2006
    AlicetheCamel ·
    • Hide content

We got a DeLonghi Magnifica Coffee Maker https://www.johnlewis.com/ a couple of months ago, a tad expensive but it is great to use. Plonk the beans in the top, hit the button and it does the rest - makes 20 cups and will make 2 at a time. It will even do the frothy bit too! Getting rid of the beans is easy too, as it crushes them into cylindrical hockey pucks (I'm really selling this aren't I) so no need to rinse out/get rid of filters etc etc

• B
    Beginner October 2007
    Bridget F ·
    • Hide content

Tassimo are good - we have one at home. fill with water, stick a disc in press button and done. Not fiddly and lovely coffee

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You stick the pod in and select long coffee or espresso. It makes it. Then you put the milk in a separate container, froth and add. The "long" coffee isn't enough for me to have a cup black so I make two, which takes about 5 minutes I'd guess.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is that simialr to a nespresso pod one?

I am looking at this :

http://www.paysan.co.uk/DeLonghi-NEspresso-EN660-Red-Coffee-Machine-p-16655.html

versus one of these

/products/sb100/products/sb100/index

L
    xx

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

Just to add - the main gripe I have with pod cms is that the pods are so expensive, and you're tied into one brand. Would individual cafetieres be an option? A lot of the luxury hotels I work with have these and I think they're lovely.

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think we'd have the space to put them down. Plus, I thnk they would smell of coffee. I HATE the smell of coffee!

Really, I just want to be a bit better than instant, which is what we currently have

L
    xx

• O
    Beginner
    Oh Zippy ·
    • Hide content

My filter machine has got a "1-3 cup" button which kind of fast tracks the water through. TBH it's no hassle at all and no slower than my friend's machine that is a POD type thing (don't know the make though). With a filter you can choose how much coffee and water to put in so you can make enough for one or for six. HTH

• macca
    Beginner
    macca ·
    • Hide content

My mum & dad have got a Tassimo coffee machine. Its so faff-free my 2 year old can work it (obviously we don't let him near the hot water), but it takes him 5 seconds to pop in a pod, put a mug under it, push a button et Voila! Coffee for Grandad!

• Platty
    Beginner November 2007
    Platty ·
    • Hide content

I have a Senseo and tend to get my coffeepods in bulk from here:

http://www.coffeepodshop.co.uk/shop/

The p&p is pricey as it is a company in Germany but its way cheaper than buying it in the supermarket.

• S
    Beginner July 2019
    SunnyOrangeBridesmaid60536 ·
    • Hide content

Hey, I think cheaper and easiecoulddl be capsules coffee maker like https://www.thecoffeemate.co.uk/c/coffee-machines/capsule/ Have you tried this version?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics