Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Pointless things that annoy you that shouldn't...

10 of September of 2013 at 14:05

Posted on Off Topic Posts 86

Come join me in my grumpyfest! Where we live we have a really steep, tiny drive so H puts his car up there. I put mine at the bottom of the garden, on the roadside. Sometimes my neigbour over the road has mates round for the weekend and they go off somewhere and leave their car parked at the bottom...

Come join me in my grumpyfest!

Where we live we have a really steep, tiny drive so H puts his car up there. I put mine at the bottom of the garden, on the roadside. Sometimes my neigbour over the road has mates round for the weekend and they go off somewhere and leave their car parked at the bottom of my garden so I have to put my car half way up the road. This can be for a few hours or sometimes days. I am ashamed to say it BUGS THE HELL out of me. It is perfectly legal it just annoys me. It has turned me into a Paranoid Parker and if we are going out we will leave one car at the bottom so they cant nick the spot. How sad we are!

Tell me of your pointless annoyances.

86 replies

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

People who comment on my age and marital status or parenting - i.e. remarks such as "Are you sure you're the lady of the house? You're far too young" (this was actually said to me the other day by a charity caller!). Or "are these children all yours? You must have started early!". FECK ORF! I'm nearly 30, fgs. It's not that unreasonable for me to be married with children.

Drives me loopy.

When H deliberately makes grammatical errors to annoy me. He knows poor grammar winds me up, so he makes a point of saying things like "I'll put LESS chillies in the curry tonight" and then watches me squirm as I try to resist correcting him. Genuine mistakes, fine. I can be diplomatic and let it slide, but he does it on purpose because he thinks he's funny.

Totally irrational - I hate having the dishwasher and washing machine running at the same time. It's too noisy and the pipes go loopy at all the water wooshing round.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yes I get constant comments about my age and looks from people when I get anything wedding related (apart from my dress, she was lovely). I've lived through a lot which has made me have an older head on my shoulders. I've always been more mature than everyone else my age. So what if I turn 21 three days before I get married? We've been together 4 years and living together for 1.5 of those so marriage is the next step anyway! (He's nearly 23). I would have added that into my rant but I don't think it's a pointless thing at all. It's wrong that people are so judgemental and small minded based on someone's age. I think myself lucky that I met OH so young and I get to spend more of my life with him than a lot of others get.

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

People that are stood in front of me with their label out.....

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

People sniffing up - Get a tissue

The prick over the road from me who when they repainted the lines on the parking space and created 6 instead of 5 now parks over 2 spaces to stop anyone else using one. Douchebag

OH only opening one side of the lounge curtains in a morning. What is that all about?!?!?!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

Have been reading this and nodding my head in agreement with so many of these! Here are mine:

People who describe themselves as loud, crazy or "a bit mental" - I always, probably unfairly, think that's a bit attention whoreish.

People who stir things loudly, be that tea, soup or anything which involves the sound of a metal spoon against crockery. Drives me nuts and is totally irrational.

People who laugh through their noses without making an actual sound - fast exaggerated nasal exhaling is the only way I can describe it. If you're going to LOL, do it properly.

People who try to retell jokes by stand up comedians. I love Eddie Murphy's Raw, and so does one of my colleagues. We were at lunch one day with the rest of our team and somebody said something that reminded me of a joke in Raw and so I asked if anyone had seen it. They hadn't, so I said "ah, you have to see it". But my colleague who HAD seen it then went onto try to retell the joke, only explained it as if it were a real life situation e.g. "and then she fell down the steps and was shouting Jesus and then Eddie's dad asks his wife why she did that ..." ... ah man, it was painful.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

YES!!!! This bugs the hell out of me.

Along the same lines, my ex used to call tiramisu "TIAmisu". Idiot.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Add to this anyone who describes themselves as "eccentric". Anyone who thinks they're eccentric, probably isn't and is really just a bit of an arsehole.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

More annoying is people who describe themselves as "random".

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

Oh yes punctuation, bad spelling (Apart from iphone errors that is), and mispronunciation

EXpresso, Pacifically, somefink, real soon, innit, expecially, their, there, they're, your, you're, bought, brought, accept, except.

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

Or 'proper good'

• Polka Dot Penguin
    Beginner
    Polka Dot Penguin ·
    • Hide content

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Just had another one!

I was in the loo and there is only two cubicles, both occupied. But the person outside kept coughing, sighing and generally huffing. I just stayed in there after I'd done, sat on the lid on facebook, just to pee her off more.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I've just remembered, my mum pronounces loads of things wrong.

Tortillo, anyone? Or maybe you fancy some mozarelley on your pizza? I've no idea why she does it!

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

Yes and yes! Self labelled eccentric (or "quirky", urgh) people are blatant d1cks. As are those "gap yar" students.

I'd also like to add in business buzz words. Where I work they CONSTANTLY say "reach out to" instead of "contact". I hate it. Hate, hate, hate. "Touch base" is one that I thought had died a death about ten years ago but not where I work. Gah.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

People not understanding concepts of threads ?

The thread is about things which shouldn't annoy you. Half of the things people have mentioned are completely rational annoyances.

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

No-one indicating at roundabouts - usually BMW drivers -

Oh yes Mrs Imp, Tortilla, Fajita and guacamole all pronounced incorrectly.

Our new postie who keeps giving us next doors mail - we both have door numbers, it's not rocket science.

Football talk, usually about how 'we' have done.

Cyclists using the cycle lane to cycle the wrong way on the road against the traffic, or when they go through red lights. Highway code anyone?

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

My least favourite one...

Using the word INVITE when we all know it is INVITATION.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ha ha ha! I thought it was only me that did this!

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I also hate people who say brought instead of bought. 'I brought a new handbag in the sale today' no you didn't, you bought it you damn fool.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

Dawdlers.

People who park over two spaces.

People carrying umbrellas in the street and don't watch what they're doing and almost poke your eye out.

Same with people and cigarettes in the street just flailing their cigarette hand about almost burning random people.

I live just around the corner from the high street, and there is a Wetherspoons on the corner between the high st and where I live and all the alcoholics who've been in Wetherspoons all day are always stood outside smoking and because it's a narrow path I have to walk right through it on my way home and I hate it cos it flippin stinks.

Our front door to our flat is less than a metre from our neighbours door. She lives in a studio flat and her bathroom is on the floor below ours and she's always in late so her keys sound so LOUD when she is jangling them about to get into her flat, she even locks and unlocks her door when she is just popping down to the loo. God, I sound like a grumpy old sod as I write that.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Am I missing something?

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I thought this. Its Paint-ent that annoys me. Patent is correct?

• OB
    Beginner January 2011
    OB ·
    • Hide content

People parking outside my house, making it difficult to get round the corner. I don't, so why the F should they?!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I assumed that's what she meant.

• stoice
    Beginner September 2013
    stoice ·
    • Hide content

We work with lots of text going on food packaging and have just heard a chap at work say Asterix instead of asterisk (*) and Amprasand instead of ampersand (&Smiley winking. Forgot how much this bugs me. He says it all the time! Grrr

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

The mispronunciations of espresso and clique really rile me.

Madonna's version of American Pie takes me close to murder.

• TheRealTricks
    Beginner January 2012
    TheRealTricks ·
    • Hide content

People who get shi**ty and defensive if you dont have the same opinion as them.

Queue jumpers!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How are you meant to pronounce clique? I prounounce it kleek and I'm guessing that's wrong?

• TheRealTricks
    Beginner January 2012
    TheRealTricks ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Some people pronounce it click.?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cleek is right. It's click that makes me want to poke people in the eye. Loads of people say it that way, too.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah well I've learnt something new. I always thought kleek was wrong but I carried on saying it that way anyway!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

After careful considered thought, I have decided the number one thing that annoys me is pretentiousness.

I have a "friend" who describes herself as "Mixed European" on her twitter bio. She was born and raised in the UK. Her parents were born and raised in the UK. She possibly has an Eastern or Central European grandparent, more likely great-grandparent, like all Ashkenazi Jews in the UK. How that makes her "Mixed European" I do not know.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics