Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

GeordieBarbie
Beginner May 2010

POLL: Zipper vs Lace-Up

GeordieBarbie, 4 November, 2009 at 14:30 Posted on Planning 0 43

Hi

Just curious - who's gone for a lace-up back dress and who's gone for zipper / buttons?

43 replies

Latest activity by diamondsragirlsbestfriend!, 13 November, 2009 at 09:08
  • Mrs G x
    Beginner September 2009
    Mrs G x ·
    • Hide content

I had a lace up back and loved it!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Lace up as they make you look thinner ? I don't I even considered a zip up dress

• Foddette
    Beginner March 2010
    Foddette ·
    • Hide content

Have to say, I'm a size 14/16 with very much an hourglass figure. I tried on zip ups & buttons & they did nothing for my figure.

Lace up all the way! ?

• Gillsy
    Beginner April 2010
    Gillsy ·
    • Hide content

Yeah I'm lace up too - this is what I wanted and its good from a practial point as well like when you eat too much you can let it out....lol

this could almost lead onto a 'flash the back of your dress' post.........

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

I've gone for a lace up

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content

Mine was lace up and it looked amazing from the back ?

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

My dress was zipper with fake buttons......as lace up wasnt suitable for the theme BUT....

this meant......

When I needed the loo....

My cbm and I went to our room where I had an ensuite. She unzipped me, I stepped out, had a pee and then stood back in to get zipped up again. Hassle free, embarrassment free. Dont need to share your toliet habits with anyone! funnily enough I went to the loo only ONCE the whole damn day.

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Lolol I dont do the toilet in pairs/with friends.......and i wasnt THAT close to my cbm lolol... but its really worth it having a zipper..

• Charlied
    Beginner October 2010
    Charlied ·
    • Hide content

Im covered - my good friend has even helped me pull my tights down one night when I was wearing reallllly long false nails while dressed in fancy dress. Now I ask myself why I have not asked the poor girl to be my CBM??!!

I really wanted lace up, but if I buy this dress tonight it will be zip!

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

Mines a zip but I am having it changed to a lace up x

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

Lace up and I have already come to terms that i will have to pee in front of my BM! We live together, we've seen it all before!

• AutumnRose
    Beginner
    AutumnRose ·
    • Hide content

My dress comes with a zip but i'm having a lace up put in. Think it'll mean a bit more flexability on shape/fit and it will suit the dress/theme too.

CBM has been in loo cubicle with me many a night out so not to worried about that...fitting in loo might be more of a problem as my dress does have quite a big skirt!!!

• MrsWinwood2B
    Beginner April 2010
    MrsWinwood2B ·
    • Hide content

Zipper. But I am a bit worried, because it fits perfectly now, but I want to lose half a stone before the wedding, and I'm not sure it'll fit as perfectly then! Those who are getting theirs changed to a lace up - are you doing this through the shop/manufacturer? I already have my dress at home, so I guess I'd have to go and find a dressmaker and that might be expensive and time-consuming. Any ideas?

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Remember, a lace up back is due to the corsetry. Its not a case of removing a zip and placing in some holes and a lace up the back. Smiley smile

If the dress doesnt have boning then it will require some or the lacing up effect will create a very odd shape. Therefore you need the extra fabric to allow for the boning to go in......

if the shape of your dress is not meant for a corset then leave it well alone, I say.

• AutumnRose
    Beginner
    AutumnRose ·
    • Hide content

I'm having mine changed through Ian Stuart themselves, so the corset will be changed accordingly ( i was worried about that so i checked!!). I would never ask a dressmaker/seamstress to change it after it's been made as i would be worried about the shape etc.

• The BFG
    Beginner August 2010
    The BFG ·
    • Hide content

Lace up, i feel that you get a better fit, my dress was actualy available in both zip and lace up and i tried both x

• laineywhu
    Beginner July 2010
    laineywhu ·
    • Hide content

Ive got a zip, tried lace up ones and they just didnt feel right on me!

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content

I went for lace up, because the corset suited me better. Only went to the loo a couple of times once at home with my mum and then once with h when we freshened up. My best would have been there if required but only went these times.

I had the lace loosened once by a friend and then h did it on the dance late on as it was quite by then and I needed comfort. This is what I liked about the lace up

Pic; not great one sorry

• Keelz
    Beginner
    Keelz ·
    • Hide content

Lace Up!!

• GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

I admit one of the reasons I asked is that i'd say most wedding dresses these days are lace up and was just wondering if zipper/buttons would be a bit different.

But the reasoning behind each of them makes sense! Haha!

Got another dress appointment next month so will go with an open mind and think about the fastenings on each dress (i'm looking to get it from landy and they say it can be done either way)

• Foddette
    Beginner March 2010
    Foddette ·
    • Hide content

It very much depends on your figure, your comfort & the style of the dress. You'll know once you've tried them on ?

• B
    Beginner January 2010
    bridetobehaha ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I think it depends on the style of the dress, mine is simple, yet elegant with no train and has a zip, for only £429.00 but it suits my figure, I am 5ft 4inch and size 14

Bridetobehaha ?

• MarieMarie1980
    Beginner August 2010
    MarieMarie1980 ·
    • Hide content

Lace up for me too. Definately does more for my figure!

• C
    Beginner August 2010
    cherry-blossom ·
    • Hide content

I’m having lace up too –

Which by my counting equates to:

15 lace to 6 Zip/button

71% to 29%

Which is strange, because I would say a lot of the ones I have tried have been zipper

(although I’d been told each time – “we can have our seamstress change it to lace up” – had never actually thought about the above comment re the corsetry! Pleased that my dress actually comes in lace up)

• sdwrds
    Beginner July 2010
    sdwrds ·
    • Hide content

Mine is lace up too. I tried countless zip dresses that just didn't fit (i'm a size 14-16 but have big boobs) I got frustrated in the shops as a size 22 still would not zip up !!! I got so disheartened that I was never going to find a dress. I went to another shop, explained the problems that I was having and they suggested a lace up. The results were amazing. I felt comfortable, secure and best of all it was a size 10 !!! (ok wasa little too small) she also told me that if I wanted a particular dress that was lace up and I wanted a zip instead, that they could do this. I also like the fact that if I put a bit of weight on, its not really gonna matter that much with lace up.

• L
    Beginner June 2010
    logiesgirl29 ·
    • Hide content

I thought i wanted a lace up but however when i went dress shopping i found the ONE and it a zip covered over with buttons

it's a ronald joyce i thought i wanted a maggie frock lol and i am totally smitten with it

• 22tango
    Beginner April 2010
    22tango ·
    • Hide content

Zip for me! though my dress is empire line so no tight fit on the waist anyway....

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to jump in on this thread although a couple of experiences at weddings where I have been are worth mentioning.

Across the years that I have done wedding photography, on two occasions, when the bride went to put on the dress, the zip broke. This was not due to forcing the zip, they simply came apart and were unrepairable. On both occasions, the repairs were done with safety pins.

I guess that the answer is to ensure that the zip is of a high quality to minimise this risk.

Sorry if this sounds like a scare story!!!!

Peter

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

I am having best of both worlds, my dress will have an internal corset to give shape etc.. but it will do up with buttons lovely teeny tiny hand covered buttons, I am slightly obsessed at the moment I just love button detail down the back.

Of course i may change my mind when I see it in reality but we shall see

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

I went dress shopping certain I wanted lace up and ended up with zip with buttons, it goes so well with the dress and it has quite an elegant back with like a low dip V so it goes perfectly.

• chantaldh
    Beginner October 2009
    chantaldh ·
    • Hide content

Lace-up definately - cos its adjustable then whether you gain a little weight or lose a little weight!

Chantal D-H xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics