staceylynch6, 16 June, 2011 at 21:32 Posted on Planning 0 29

Has anyone here had a wedding or been to a wedding at pollokshields burgh hall

29 replies

Latest activity by 17ons, 11 March, 2012 at 16:28
  • AllyMcBear
    Beginner June 2012
    AllyMcBear ·
    • Hide content

Not been to a wedding but been to a wedding fayre there, it looked lovely all set out.

You could phone them and see if they are doing a wedding soon so you can see what it looks like.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

This is my venue for May! xxx

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    staceylynch6 ·
    • Hide content

Have you got your caterer sorted out? have u booked the whole place?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Hi Stacey,

I had no interest in the Clifford Hall downstairs, that's the most modern one and it's not really my kind of thing. We booked what's called "Main Floor plus Loggia and Park Room on Lower Floor" which basically gives us everything except the Clifford Hall for £170 cheaper than it would be to book the whole building. They said that as we booked the Loggia downstairs the downstairs toilets come with that, therefore nobody else will be allowed to book the Clifford Hall that day as we have the toilets IYSWIM?

As for caterers we went with Top Class Catering who do grest wedding packages which include the centrepieces for the tables, the meal, the mobile bar & license, the cake, the evening buffet, the car, etc, etc. They also recommended a TOG to us (who then recommended a VOG) and they also pointed us in the direction of our venue decorator who is doing our chair covers, table plan, etc.

Let me know if you want to know anything else. Would be so exciting to have a venue twin. Are you based in Glasgow? Have you set a date?

HTH x

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I've never been there myself but it always gets good feedback. They have wedding exhibitions during the year so might be worth looking out for them so you can see the place all done up. x

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    staceylynch6 ·
    • Hide content

Ive booked it for 29th september 2012 and have also went with top class catering. they have had great reviews. iv found a company on line that will do my 80 chair covers for 120 pounds so thought that would be pretty good. everything else im going to try and do myself as im on a tight budget. im in the east end of glasgow and getting excited already and i still have 15 months to go lol ?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow - that's a great price. Ours were £2each for chair cover with sash, but increased to £3 because we're keeping them all the way through the evening. Something to be sure of with the Hall, they have a wedding most Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so there is a stipulation in the contract that the hall must be exactly as found by the end of the evening. We're keeping the chair covers til midnight, therefore we're having to pay the venue decorator to come back at midnight to remove them all and take them away. There is no storage space so no option to pick things up a day or two later, other than the odd cardigan, etc, that might get left behind accidentally. If the chair cover people don't include that in the price then make sure a family member or friend is willing to do so at the end of the night.

Anyways, gorgeous venue isn't it? I love it! What room(s) did you book and where is your ceremony being held?

x

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    staceylynch6 ·
    • Hide content

Im not too sure about the ceremony in in two minds if i should just get married in the maxwell hall or pay the extra for the clifford hall. i like the idea of having the ceremony in a seperate hall. what about yourself? what package are you taking with top class i havnt decided on that either lol ?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're getting married in the STirling Hall, then having the champagne reception downstairs in the Loggia, then back up to the Maxwell Hall for the meal. The Stirling hall will be turned in to a lounge area and the evening buffet will be in there, the ?borard room? (I think it's called) will be the bar, and then Maxwell Hall will be the DJ and dancefloor, and guests will be free to wander around.

The thing that tipped it for us is that if you don't book upstairs and downstairs then there's a good chance that someone will rent out the other part for an event, possibly even another wedding ?

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    staceylynch6 ·
    • Hide content

I was told when i booked that even though you dont book the whole building nobody else is aloud to book so another wedding would not be on at the same time as yours it would just be closed off to you?

• T
    Beginner
    tia8329 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Staceylynch we get married on the same day!

i have'nt personally but a family member has and couldn't stop talking about how lovely it was.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Come to think of it I think most places would avoid having two brides at the same time, I'm sure one is bad enough, ?

They certainly take other bookings though, as they offered us two dates where we could only have the upstairs of the building as there was a charity auction on one of the dates, and the other was an art display downstairs. Nobody from these events would have been able to come upstairs, but we wouldn't have been able to go downstairs either. I really wanted the loggia downstairs, and with that you get the toilets so then nobody else can book as they can't let out a room with no loo ?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We went with the platinum package, but as we're only having 50 day guests we tweaked it a bit - extra wine with the meal, upgraded the buffet, etc. We've been to the cake shop and the choices are all absolutely gorgeous!

It's so exciting to have a venue and caterer twin!

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    staceylynch6 ·
    • Hide content

Where r u getting married?

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    staceylynch6 ·
    • Hide content

Yeah iv booked the loggia aswell have you found your dress yet?

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    staceylynch6 ·
    • Hide content

So were you able to just have 50 guests and so they put the money from the other 30 towards drinks and the buffet? i didnt know you could do that ?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In the Stirling Hall - the small one upstairs with the fireplace

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh well, if you've booked the Loggia then you'll be fine as they can't let out any other rooms.

I got my dress at June Brides at Eglington Toll, they were lovely. They've put a delay on it so that it wont arrive in the shop until December.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It wasn't something that they offer in their brochure but my OH is quite a good haggler, it's worth a try! x

• WeeKaty83
    Beginner September 2012
    WeeKaty83 ·
    • Hide content

Im getting married in Pollokshields Burgh Hall on the 28th September 2012 and also plan to go with Top Class. The guy is coming through to me on tuesday night and Im all ready for a bit of haggling, haha! Im planning to get married in the stirling hall (60 guests) and have the reception in the maxwell. Still swithering about the Loggia. It did look nice for the drinks reception.

Really excited already and over a year to go! ?

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    staceylynch6 ·
    • Hide content

Im really excited also. have u decided what package you are going to take? raymond is really nice also. are you getting chair covers?

• WeeKaty83
    Beginner September 2012
    WeeKaty83 ·
    • Hide content

Ive spoken to Raymond on the phone and he seemed really nice and they have loads of positive recommendations. Im going to go for the Platinum package but will probably request a few tweaks. Dont think Im going to bother with chair covers. Im not sure whether just to go for the standard chairs or the banqueting chairs. Hmm, decisions decisions!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Katy - just to point out that the website states that ithe Stirling Hall is only licenced to hold 50 for a civil ceremony. It may have changed though and they just haven't updated the website, x

• WeeKaty83
    Beginner September 2012
    WeeKaty83 ·
    • Hide content

I know it only says 50 on the website but Muriel said the actual number is 60 and they are due to update their website soon.

Thanks though. x

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yay! A dress shop twin!!! I got my dress and Bridesmaid dresses from June Brides too!!!

• P
    Beginner
    purplestar1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi there Katy,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Yes PBH is lovely venue isn't it?! Friends of ours married there 2 years ago

and I'm really tempted to use it ourselves too! Just a wee question about the chairs

included in the hire of the halls..is it jst standard red chairs included and how

much extra are the banqueting chairs? Just trying to work out our budget, phew it's tight!!

Best wishes and many thanks,

Sarah

• WeeKaty83
    Beginner September 2012
    WeeKaty83 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sarah!

Thank you! I know what you mean about being on a budget. My wedding has since increased to 80 day guests and prob 120 in the evening so Ill be using the Maxwell Hall now.

On the website it still has the 2011 prices so add on 5% to understand what you will pay next year. The standard ones are included in the hall hire but for the banqueting chairs it is £200 extra so Im swithering between those and chair covers which will probably cost about the same/slightly more. I actually quite like the look of the banqueting chairs even though they are plastic.

Any other questions feel free! Best of luck with all your plans.

Katy xxx

• P
    Beginner
    purplestar1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Katy,

Thanks for your quick reply! I know, it's crazy how it all adds up!?!

Thanks for that price for the chairs, yikes another £200..but as you say they do look really nice, quite

a difference between them and the standard ones..hmm..

It really is the perfect venue in Glasgow though, and I've emailed Muriel a few times about date etc

and she couldn't be nicer, so, good choice of venue all round!

thanks again for your reply,

best wishes,

Sarah x

• WeeKaty83
    Beginner September 2012
    WeeKaty83 ·
    • Hide content

I know, it's a tough one. Do people/I really care about the chairs? Hmmm....

Mureil is adorable, Ive been in to see her a couple of times and she is just so, so nice.

Best of luck with everything and keep us updated with all your plans. ?

xxx

Beginner
    17ons ·
    • Hide content

My friend is getting married there in July, we went and it looks beautiful. She got her chair covers from couture chair covers as i know it was hard to find someone that covered them. not too sure which caterers she used. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics