Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner March 2011

Polystyrene Wedding Cake?

clarem1986, 28 January, 2010 at 13:00 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hi all,

I was discussing wedding cakes with my friends last night and a girl there who is already married, showed me a picture of her wedding cake - it was huge (4 tiers) and looked great - she said it was pretty cheap because the two middle tiers were polystyrene!

Has anyone else heard of this? Are any of you going down this route? I guess no one will know as the staff take the cake away to cut up, it just sounded odd to me but I am very new to all this!

Thanks xx

8 replies

Latest activity by Debbie Bone Cakes - Surrey, 28 January, 2010 at 20:50
  • Carol1
    Beginner June 2010
    Carol1 ·
    • Hide content

I think that sounds a really good idea - my tip would be to not tell anyone, not even your best friends, as you wouldn't want word going around the reception about your fake cake. Best to mega impress them and don't let on.

We just found out last night that my fiance's family friend has offered to make our cake which I'm really pleased about

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I use dummy ones for photographing cake flowers on - they can be decorated as ordinary cakes can. My Mum-in-law ices mine!

• C
    Beginner March 2011
    clarem1986 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all for your replies!

I may consider this then if you think it's quite a good idea to save money, but agree it's probably best not to tell anyone!!

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

Just be careful not to cut that bit! Can you imagine the teeth-gritting noise it would create!! Makes me shudder just thinking about it..

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? I know - it makes me cringe when I touch mine - finger nails and blackboard come to mind1

• Catherines Cakes
    Beginner February 2004
    Catherines Cakes ·
    • Hide content

My advice would be to get quotes for a suitable size cake with all real cake tiers and then compare it to the price of either the same cake or a cake with more/larger tiers for show as you may find there's not that much difference in price.

I do dummy tiers on occasion but to be honest the price difference isn't that great because good quality dummies cost almost as much as a sponge cake ingredients. The cost of the actual cake inside is your wedding cake tiers is negligable really. The largest proportion of the cost of a wedding cake is the cake maker's time - the time it takes to for consultations, the correspondence, design work, shopping, covering the cakes and the largest part on the decoration and all of this is the same regardless of whether the tiers are real cake or dummy.

It's a good way to have a larger cake than you actually need without having loads of cake left over afterwards but it's not always that much cheaper.

HTH
    Catherine

• Debbie Bone Cakes - Surrey
    Beginner December 2008
    Debbie Bone Cakes - Surrey ·
    • Hide content

Catherine beat me to it...

It can save a bit, but not a lot.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics