Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Carpe Diem
Beginner

Pompoms- buy or make your own?

Carpe Diem, 22 April, 2013 at 07:59 Posted on Planning 0 7

I really want to use some pompoms for decoration but not sure if I should buy them made or attempt to make my own? I have found them for around a pound each on eBay to buy. To make them it looks like I will need masses of tissue paper so not sure if I could even make them for less than this? Anyone else had these?

7 replies

Latest activity by Crazycat, 22 April, 2013 at 20:57
  • ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Never tried but always thought they looked good in the right setting. I reckon to get a full looking pom pom you would need a lot of tissue. I'm usually all for DIY but in this case I'd say buy it, for that price it's worth it when you take into account tissue, time and effort!

• Carpe Diem
    Beginner
    Carpe Diem ·
    • Hide content

Our setting is a forest so hoping to hang from the trees! I think you may be right, instructions say 8 sheets per Pompom!

• BrownEyedGal
    Beginner May 2014
    BrownEyedGal ·
    • Hide content

You can buy packs of 50 sheets of tissue paper from hobby craft for about £3.50. We're planning on having about 20 pompoms. It works out cheaper to make them. I'm going to make ours with my BMs. They're quite easy to make. Smiley smile

• FlickAndZeb
    Beginner September 2013
    FlickAndZeb ·
    • Hide content

Card Factory sells packs of 10 sheets in loads of different colours for 99p per pack. Amazon/Ebay is good for buying in bulk. It works out alot cheaper to make your own... If you've got time and patience do it. You'd still have to 'fluff' out the tissue when buying pre made so it wouldn't actually take that much longer to just do it yourself =]

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We bought ours (from ebay)

Included in the price were the invisible wires to hang them with and they were the exact colours we wanted, which we were not able to find at a reasonable price in craft shops. For us, it worked out only very slightly more expensive to buy them rather than DIY, so we just bought them for convenience sake.

Keep in mind though, that when you buy them you still have to make them into the actual pom poms yourself, they don't come pre-pommed Smiley smile

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

I made some for a hen party i organised. I got packs of tissue for 50p a pack from our local cheapie shop. I then followed these Martha Stewart instructions while sat infront of the telly!

https://www.marthastewart.com/how-to-make-tissue-paper-pom-poms-7253149

Making your own is cheaper but it depends if you have the time & patience to sit and make them!

• stompie
    stompie ·
    • Hide content

Dont think I have the patience for making pom poms, I've bought

• C
    Beginner August 2013
    Crazycat ·
    • Hide content

I brought hundreds of sheets from eBay. I'm going to be making our just to keep me busy before the wedding. They are dead easy to make. I'm hoping people will be talking a about them so that I can say " ohh yes they are lovely I made every one."

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics