Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

jem179
Beginner May 2010

Poorly degu, can anyone help?

jem179, 11 June, 2010 at 13:40 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 2

We got back from our HM on monday and the first thing we noticed was that one of our degus wasnt chewing the bars of his cage. We have 2 but one of them has never bothered with toys he just spends all day every day chewing the cage. We thought this was a bit odd but hubbys mum said they were both fine when she was looking after them so we thought maybe its just cos we were back and it was a bit of a change.

Anyway, then we noticed he wasnt really eating and when I gave him a treat he just dropped it or buried it. His front teeth looked a little long so we took him to the vet who clipped his teeth and gave us some antibiotics to put in the water.

He still isnt eating, I gave him some oats last night because he hasnt touched his food (which he eat) and it doesnt look like he's drinking anything either. I gave him a treat this morning and he just sort of sucked on it then left it.

Does anyone have any advice? He doesnt seem to be getting worse but her isnt any better and I'm just so worried about him...

2 replies

Latest activity by Houdini, 11 June, 2010 at 14:13
  • Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Back to the vets with him pronto!

Bar chewing can cause many problems with the mouth on any small animal so I would be getting the vet to check inside his mouth to see if there are further problems.

When one of our gerbils has a fit (he's epileptic!), he finds it difficult to eat and drink we offer cut up grapes as they provide fluid and food.

• jem179
    Beginner May 2010
    jem179 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Raef, he's always chewed like that and he's nearly 4 now. We questioned Hs mum again last night and asked if she's noticed him chewing and she said not once. We would have had him to the vet sooner if we'd known he'd been like it for a fortnight but she told us he'd been fine (she knows that's not normalk for him, she comes over twice a week!). Think I'm just making myself worse, so cross and upset.

Unfortunately I can't give him anything like grapes as they can't have fruit. They cant have anything with sugar but I might try him with a bowl of water later in case the drip bottles hurting his mouth...and back to the vet again ☹️

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Shows I've never had degu's then! ?

Do you have a syringe to administer the meds? Offer him water through that if so.

Just found this forum which might be worth a look round: /

Hope he's feeling better soon

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics