Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Beginner November 2016

Poppies

1987RAF, 13 of May of 2016 at 09:49 Posted on Planning 0 11

For those who have read my previous posts, you may be aware that we are getting married on 5 November. I am a huge supporter of the Poppy Appeal and have just suddenly thought that we will be right in the middle of the poppy appeal.

Have never been to a wedding outside of the spring and summer months, do you think it would be acceptable to use poppies as buttonholes. Saves a huge chunk of money and its for a good cause. That way, anyone who wanted to wear a poppy could as well.

Also, if you were a guest to a wedding, would you wear a poppy or not if inivited and no one mentioned it.

11 replies

Latest activity by LoveSka, 20 of May of 2016 at 07:20
  • Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

Real poppies or the paper ones? I think real ones would look gorgeous!

As to whether I would wear one to the Wedding... it would really depend on whether I thought about it! I have one of the jewelled ones, so if I remembered to take it off my coat then yes, I would wear it to a Wedding.

You could always buy a load from the Poppy appeal and incorporate them into your favours, too Smiley smile

xx

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

I was talking about paper, real and the fancy ones they do that sound like the one you put on your coat. I hadnt thought about it really (although the paper ones may look a bit naff)and it was more of a thinking out loud type of thread starter before I bring it up over the weekend as I have been set on having something totally different up until this though.

I like the idea of bunging them as favours. I was thinking about buying a load , taking off the stems and just using the poppy petals as table confetti as well.

• Stephisaur
    Beginner April 2017
    Stephisaur ·
    • Hide content

I think real ones as buttonholes would look beautiful, MOB & MOG could always have the glitzy ones to keep afterwards too Smiley smile

Using the paper ones as confetti would look really nice too Smiley smile

Some pics as ideas:

http://www.poppyshop.org.uk/poppy-collection-brooch-silver-tone-large.html

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

The fancy ones would make lovely favours. You may need to be aware that some people are opposed to wearing the poppy for political reasons (and no I'm not talking about Daily Mail-esque "Muslims burn the poppies" hatred-stirring nonsense, just for example that the white poppies have a lot of support as an alternative). I'm not suggesting that you should let that stop you, more that you should be aware in case anyone chooses to not wear it or leave theirs behind.

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Stepisaur, they look amazing ideas. Looks like my pinterest board will get bigger (again)

@ InkedDoll - I did have the last charity thread in my head when I started this one and didnt want it to descend into the same. Its pretty much a family only affair as his family is mahoosive and we are only having 50 poeple. From our 10 friends, they are services (be it emergency or military due to our backgrounds) so it wont be an issue, but if people did leave them behind then I wouldnt be offended as the charity still got the money anyway.

• E
    Beginner
    ExpensiveBrownDiamonds1257 ·
    • Hide content

We are thinking of doing poppies as favours since my OH is in the RAF. All of his guests are either in the military too or big supporters so we know they won't have an issue with it. You can buy them on the Poppy Appeal website but they only ship them in packs of 10 and charge £2 postage for each batch. OH is going to call them to see if they will let us order more. I think putting them in a container near the guestbook with a sign explaining that you've made a donation and guests can take one if they'd like to show their support is a good way to do it because then no one feels pressured to wear one if they don't want to.

• katieJ2b
    Beginner October 2016
    katieJ2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what we are going to do. We are donating the money we would've spent on favours to charity, probably Cancer Research as it's quite close to my families hearts at the moment. We are going to buy some pins so that people don't feel pressured into taking and wearing one.

I LOVE the poppy idea, real poppies are so pretty...could you incorporate them somehow into your bouquet?x

Beginner November 2016
    1987RAF ·
    • Hide content

We arent having flowers - too expensive and I dont think poppies are actually in season in November anyway so it would need to be fake flowers if there was a floral display as opposed to single flowers.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

I really like this idea. I think that the red in November will look lovely. I always wear a poppy but, to be honest, I probably wouldn't to a wedding. This is because my poppy is always on my winter coat that I wear to work and I wouldn't wear that coat to a wedding. You could always speak to your guests beforehand and say that poppies are welcome on their wedding outfits.

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Im in this boat inked doll... it's no disrespect to the people who where drafted and the people who where involved during the world wars I just am very uncomfortable with anything war related, esspecally the current wars that are being waged for political benefits so in answer to the question no I would personally not wear the poppy

as for the favor thing personally I HATE being given them... it happens every single year and its not that I dont have the money to buy them (why everyone assumes if you dont have one you just cant afford the £1 price is beyond me) its that I dont want to be involved and being repeteivly given then feels like no one respects my rights or wishes to not be involved with the army, I dont force my beliefs on others and I guess I just expect the same respect so this would be one of the very few favors I would actively leave behind

I however fully respect other people rights to wear whatever they choose, I think if it means something to you and your wedding party (im guessing from your user name you are involved in the RAF) then go for it, paper flowers are quite a trend now so its not strange at all and you could even make a matching bouquet and posys to tie it all together... if you wanted to expand more you could add poppies to the wedding cake to or create garlands to hang from the ceiling.

• D
    Beginner July 2016
    DevonBelle ·
    • Hide content

I think that's a really wonderful idea Smiley smileI've never heard of anyone doing that before - I think it's great!

I love poppies too, I'm having white ones in my boquet for no other reason than I love them!

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

I got married at the end of October 2011. We had poppies as buttonholes for our wedding and also had RBL poppy pins as our wedding favors. We didn't have flowers and I had a brooch bouquet.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics