Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner August 2011

Popular Hymns

finallyabride2be, 4 August, 2011 at 09:07 Posted on Planning 0 27

Hi all,

With 2 weeks tomorrow till wedding im still struggling to pick hymns for church, i want something people are more likely to know and thats easy to sing. i dont want all things bright and beautiful ( although this would be ideal ! ) or give me oil in my lamp as had both songs at my brothers funeral.

any suggestion x

27 replies

Latest activity by jm2b, 5 August, 2011 at 13:07
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I've always loved 'Let there be love shared among us' and 'Make me a channel of your peace'

Agree with Notts Lass that Bind us Together is a good one - very easy to pick up even if you don't know it.

Colours of Day is quite a popular one.

Shine Jesus Shine is very happy!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We had Jerusalem and The Lord is My Shepherd

• thor1
    Beginner August 2011
    thor1 ·
    • Hide content

We're having Give My joy in my Heart-very upbeat and alot of people sang it at junior school.The other hymn is no help as it's Swedish!

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    FutureMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

We are having Be Still, as it is one of my favourites. Love Divine, as it was the hymn at my Mam and Dad's wedding and How Great Thou Art, which I know is more widely thought of as a funeral hymn but I'm reclaiming it for happy occasions cos I LOVE it

• S
    Beginner May 2013
    sgreen ·
    • Hide content

To be a Pilgrim I think has a nice tune behind it.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

We had The Lord is My Shepherd and Love Divine

• debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

We had 3 hymns! We had In Christ Alone, Here is Love Vast as the Ocean and, I will trust in you alone (a new version od Psalm 23)

There are lots of weddingy hymns, that an be sung to tunes that people would know. My friend had one to the tune of what a friend we have in Jesus. I cant remember the words of it tho!

• Em1982
    Beginner
    Em1982 ·
    • Hide content

We are having amazing grace because ive always loved it, make me a channel of your peace which is what OH chose and Lord of all hopefullness because it was sung at my mum and dads wedding, my twin brothers funeral and my grandads funeral and it means alot to my mum. Im welling up just thinking about that one, I dont stand a chance on the day!

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.yourchurchwedding.org/planner/

Has a list of loads, including some with wedding specific words to popular tunes like I saw three ships come sailing in and I vow to thee my country...

• Em1982
    Beginner
    Em1982 ·
    • Hide content

https://www.yourchurchwedding.org/article/ceremony-planner/

chose how many hyms you want and you can listen to them on here too, and read the lyrics

• B
    Beginner
    Blinkered ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married in December so are having carols, but if we weren't I'd definately have Give me Joy in my Heart.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We're having Love Divine because it was sung at the weddings of my parents, his parents, my sister and his brother.

We're also having Give Me Joy in my Heart, but with the Welsh words. They were translated into Welsh by a man from my parents' village, who used to be headmaster of my primary school and goes to chapel with my mum. We also have a choir who can sing the descant in the chorus.

I like to think we've chosen them because they're meaningful.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can your congregation sing in Welsh? At my great aunt's funeral they had a couple of the verses for one of the hymns sung in Welsh, and that had me pretty stumped (and I used to be a chorister so like singing lots!) Fortunately there were enough people there who could do it that it didn't suddenly die away. It's a wonderful language, I learnt a few songs when I was a kid at choral courses in Brecon, but it's not easy to read if you're not used to it!

We're having Guide Me, O Thou Great Redeemer, Make Me a Channel of Your Peace and You Shall Go Out With Joy. If I had my way I'd have a choir and loads more music, but it was a struggle to get OH to agree to this much!

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

Think I've decided on Praise My Soul the King of Heaven, Love Devine and Tell Out My Soul but not 100% on the first one - there are a few other ones.

OH is suggesting "Fight the Good Fight" and "He who would Valiant Be" in a bid to wind me up...

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Were having ''guide me o thy great redeemer- '' bread of heaven cos its a fun song which makes me think of rugby- and then a well known welsh one which is ''calon lan''

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

We're having Jerusalem, because its got such a good uplifting tune to it and we have a bit of an inside joke between us two about it so its very fitting in our relationship.

Our other choices are either Bind us together or One More Step, both of which fit the message of being together and moving forward. I prefer one more step, D doesn't mind and my mum likes bind us together.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

We are having bind us together & give me joy in my heart. I love amazing grace and how great tho art but they remind me on of my Nans funeral and makes me too emotional

• F
    Beginner August 2011
    finallyabride2be ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone i think i will go with lord of the dance x

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

We are having Bind us Togethar Lord, Walk in the light and Morning Has Broken. I wanted I watch the sunrise but the prist said it was quite hard to sing and slow!!!! Never mind.

• ClaireG85
    Beginner
    ClaireG85 ·
    • Hide content

We're having Love divine (my parents had this at their wedding) and Lord of the dance (OH's parents had this at their wedding).

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yes, 90% of them can so there are no worries there. The others can just listen!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

We had Praise my soul the King of Heaven, I vow to thee my country (my fav hymn from school!) and Holy, Holy, Holy but unfortunately we wanted the upbeat version of Holy and got the gloomy one by mistake! We had Amazing Grace during the signing of the register too.

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content

We're having Come to a Wedding and We Pledge to One Another.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We had "Lord of all hopefulness', 'We pledge to one another' and 'Jerusalem' - the latter sung by c60 keen cricketers/cricket fans was particularly impressive!

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    jm2b ·
    • Hide content

We're having having two hymns before the service starts: Morning has Broken (my parents had that one so wanted to include it somewhere) and Jerusalem.

During the service we're having: Praise my Soul, the King of Heaven, Dear Lord and Father of Mankind and Lord of all Hopefullness.

For the signing of the register we're having We pledge to One Another and then a normal song too (fields of gold).

The singing of the hymns in the church is something I'm really, really looking forward to. We're having a choir too so that it keeps everyone going and fills the church.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics