Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

wee-lou
Beginner June 2011

Popular wedding hymns

wee-lou, 14 October, 2010 at 12:08 Posted on Planning 0 9

I need to start thinking about hymns and a reading for the wedding but dont have a clue which hymns to pick, anyone got any ideas?

9 replies

Latest activity by goody51, 14 October, 2010 at 20:54
  • Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

For a church Wedding, All Things Bright and Beautiful.

Nat

• MrsMac2be
    Super May 2015
    MrsMac2be ·
    • Hide content

Instead of having a reading, we are having the choir sing Gaudete, its a fab hymn and beats being bored to death by someone giving a reading...

My H2B likes Jerusalem for a hymn, thats a classic wedding hymn and everyone knows it to sing to.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

1 Corinthians chapter 13 (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Corinthians+13&version=NIV) is the most popular and well known wedding passage in the Bible - so many people use it.

Song of Solomon (/lit-hub/the-holy-bible/song-of-songs/the-song-of-solomon-1/) is, well, rather racy as far as the Bible goes - you might find something in there too.

Some 'popular hymns' can be found here with tunes to listen to: http://www.weddingguideuk.com

Surely your minister could suggest some readings and/or hymns though?

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I rather depends on the type of church you're getting married in and how many of your guests are regular churchgoers. It would be no good going for some modern happy-clappy hymns if all your guests are serious high-church traditionalists!

I'd play it safe and stick with the 'school assembly' favourites - at least most of the guests will have heard them even if they don't know them too well: Morning has Broken, All Things Bright and Beautiful (as long as there aren't too many Monty Python fans!), Jerusalem, The Lord's My Shepherd etc.

I'd talk to your vicar, he can give you ideas for seasonal, traditional and wedding themed hymns.

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

We had jereuslem and sing hosannah for our hymns and corrinthians and an edited version of I like you for our readings at our church wedding.

• maryg111
    Beginner May 2011
    maryg111 ·
    • Hide content

I THINK we're having How Great Thou Art for the first hymn, Make Me A Channel Of Your Peace in the middle then something more upbeat at the end, like Shine Jesus Shine or One More Step ALong The World I Go - i wanted ones that I loved at school but no-one would have known them!

I went to a convent girls school so and my family are or were regular church goers, so they will know the hymns and most of my friends were in the special choir at school so they are on strict instructions to sing loudly!!!!!!!!

i have been to weddings where no-one sings and it is painful so definitely best to pick well known ones!!

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

We're going to have Jerusalem, I vow to thee my country and Shine jesus shine (love that one!)

Lot sof quite regular church goers will be there so hope they'll sing up!

Reading - I'd like the corinthians one even though it's quite long x

• wee-lou
    Beginner June 2011
    wee-lou ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the suggestions, i will sit down with my other half tonight and discuss some of your ideas with him. Thanks again xx

• gsijane
    Beginner September 2011
    gsijane ·
    • Hide content

I think we're going to have Jerusalem and possibly Lord of the dance as an upbeat one!!

and then this as one of our readings:

The Art Of A Good Marriage
    Wilferd Arlan Peterson

Happiness in marriage is not something that just happens.
    A good marriage must be created.
    In marriage the little things are the big things.
    It is never being too old to hold hands.
    It is remembering to say "I love you" at least once a day.
    It is never going to sleep angry.
    It is at no time taking the other for granted; the courtship should not end with the honeymoon, it should continue through all the years.
    It is having a mutual sense of values and common objectives.
    It is standing together facing the world.
    It is forming a circle of love that gathers in the whole family.
    It is doing things for each other, not in the attitude of duty or sacrifice, but in the spirit of joy.
    It is speaking words of appreciation and demonstrating gratitude in thoughtful ways.
    It is not looking for perfection in each other.
    It is cultivating flexibility, patience, understanding and a sense of humour.
    It is having the capacity to forgive and forget.
    It is giving each other an atmosphere in which each can grow.
    It is a common search for the good and the beautiful.
    It is establishing a relationship in which the independence is equal, dependence is mutual and the obligation is reciprocal.
    It is not only marrying the right partner, it is being the right partner.

• G
    Beginner February 2011
    goody51 ·
    • Hide content

We are going to choose from lord of all hopefulness, give me joy in my heart, one more step alogn the world and tell out my soul, the greatness of the lord. I think we will see what the vicar thinks when we see him in a few weeks.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics