Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Porting a mortgage with Nationwide

10 of December of 2013 at 14:57 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 24

Has anyone ever done the above?

I've just put together a huge bundle of documents to go off to the underwriters, who are processing H's porting application.

Sick with nerves that something will go wrong and we'll lose the house we want to buy. We thought it was as simple as them just saying yes and agreeing to port it but you have to have affordability checks - its a very cheap mortgage with no extra borrowing and a 35% LTV. I think it is terribly unfair that they could potentially say "you can't afford it", yet expect us to keep on paying the exact same amount here...how does that work, if he apparently cannot afford it?!!

SO fed up of this moving thing - never again!

24 replies

Latest activity by Mrs C, 7 of February of 2014 at 19:05
  • *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure about porting (what is it?) but we bought with nationwide this year and they were a bit lax on communication. I had to keep chasing them up all the time. My advice would be to just make notes of who you speak to and when. Fingers crossed it will go smooth for you though.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

We've just had a new mortgage with Nationwide and while they were very thorough, we didn't have any problems with them. What makes you think they will tell you that you can't afford it?

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

We ported but we had to borrow extra so we fully expected the checks etc.

I hope that they get back to you quickly with an approval. I know we got our approval really quickly after they received all our paperwork, have you sent it recorded delivery?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Nationwide managed to not take my student loan into account when they did our mortgage- they also took it off my take home salary so I was effectively deducted it twice. Knobs

mrminis csa payments made a huge effect on our affordability as well, I never understand how they work these things out.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Most definitely. Lots of vibes to you.

Our mortgage is with Nationwide, from what we saw they seem to be efficient and know what they are doing. So hopefully it will all go through smoothly. It seems like a no-brainer if you are not borrowing anymore?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content

We were going to port our Nationwide mortgage and they were thorough but it went through easily. Fingers crossed for you

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

I work for a bank and have been a lending assessor for mortgages, although not worked for Nationwide...... generally if you port with our bank, you need to either keep your position the same or better it with regards to LTV, credit history and property security.

So, simply, if the new LTV is less and new property is same or better standard, we would normally agree your application as long as the mortgage debt is staying the same (we call it D4D or debt for debt port). The complications arise usually when a borrower wants to increase their lending, income has dropped and they've started missing payments. The contract that you have is on your current property so as soon as you wish to change anything ie property or borrowing amount, we assess it from scratch but we do take into account your conduct with us.

your situation sounds positive. Your LTV is so low from a risk point of view and you don't want any further borrowing.

hope that helps

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

Loads of vibes heading your way.

I think we heard within 24 hours of them receiving out paperwork so I hope it's as quick for you.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

No, don't think about that yet. Are your buyers in a chain below them?

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

I am keeping my fingers crossed for you! I would like to think that if there is no extra borrowing involved then they can't say no providing the house passes the checks done by the valuers.

We moved house two weeks ago and our mortgage is with the Nationwide. They were pretty good at keeping us informed and sent us texts when the mortgage had been approved etc so hopefully you'll know where you are with things pretty soon.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Good luck JoJo! Fingers crossed for good news very quickly

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I hope it all works out exactly how you want it! We are lucky in that H deals with his ex privately so that the CSA are not involved.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Urgh. We are private but she trots out the csa as a threat as she always thinks she will get more when she does. She normally buckles after a few months without payment. Bint.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That really fecks me off. When I contacted the CSA about my Ex they said had I tried talking to him... it is obviously commonplace for women to piss about and then when you have to use the CSA because your Ex doesn't give a flying *** you are tarred with the same brush of pissing about.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Gah I was originally checkign thsi thread to see if JoJo ahd a response yet but got distracted by the CSA?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Hope it gets sorted, Tuesday is really not that far away. Our mortgage is with nationwide and they were brilliant. Fingers crossed it all goes through ok!! X

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I never had to deal with Nationwide directly, we had an awesome broker who did it all for us.

Hope they get it sorted soon!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics