Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner September 2012

Portsmouth bride completely in over her head!

Baggins86, 11 January, 2011 at 21:47 Posted on Planning 0 21

Hi All

I am completely new to all this wedding planning, am very excited although finding it much more difficult then anticipated!

The main reason I have signed up for this website is for some much needed help. I am looking for a wedding venue for me and my fiance in or around the Portsmouth area, however which isn't a church, registry office and probably not a hotel either (as I would prefer to have the whole place to ourselves, and I can imagine renting out a whole hotel costs an arm and a leg).

Another point which we are yet to decide on is whether to find one place to hold both the wedding and reception, or whether to find seperates (one place for wedding and another for reception). I have pro's and con's of each (which I am going to bore you all with now hehe:?

One location - Pros: Not having to move from one place to another inbetween ceremonies, sometimes can feel more relaxed. Cons - I would REALLY like to just have fish and chips for our food (a posh version though, not someone doing 10 trips to the local chippy) however most of these barns etc have got their restricted catering list. Also another con is that the price of alcohol etc would probably be really expensive, especially if you had to hire a bar initially, and as our families are quite big drinkers this could have quite a large effect on how the day goes.

Two locations - Pros: We already know where we would hold our reception if it was two seperate places which we both really like. The Con to this, is actually trying to find somewhere to have the actual ceremony, again which isn't a hotel/ church or registry office.

So Ladies/Gents, any input into the above would be GREATLY apprecaited. Any little tippets of wisdom would be great, whether it be venue suggestions or just tips on how not to go completely bald through stress of planning!

Thanks Guys
Baggins!

21 replies

Latest activity by eternallyme, 9 February, 2011 at 13:29
  • vintageangel
    Beginner October 2011
    vintageangel ·
    • Hide content

Hiya, Welcome to Hitched!

I'm also from Portsmouth and agree i think its really hard to find a venue that ticks all the boxes! We looked into hiring a barn or that kinda thing but was just too expensive for us (obviously i dont know your budget) with caterers,hire of tables and chairs etc! and in the end found it was much easier and cheaper to go with a hotel and add our touches and what we want to the day.

Where is it you want your reception if it was 2 seperate places? There is some nice hotels that dont seem too hotel like if that makes sense, more of a quiet intimate place rather than big hotels you think of.

I haven't really been much help have i? lol! The only thing i can think of would be hiring a marquee but can think of anywhere thats not hotel/church. regstry office for the ceremony.

Hope someone else comes along with some ideas!x

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    Baggins86 ·
    • Hide content

Hi ya

Our budget won't be huge (havn't really set one yet TBH as we don't know what would be reasonable) but I am thinking that Barns etc would be too expensive, am just hoping that if I hunt hard enough I will find a little cheapy hiding somewhere lol

The reception would be in Whale Island Navy Barracks, so anywhere close to there really that wasn't massive travelling time from the actual ceremony. I would be grateful if you could suggest some hotels that aren't really 'hotel-ish' as I am completely out of ideas. Where is it that you have decided for your venue?

xxx

• vintageangel
    Beginner October 2011
    vintageangel ·
    • Hide content

I dont know how far you want to go but there is Newtown House Hotel, Queens Hotel, Alverbank Hotel but thats in Gosport.

We decided on The Langstone Hotel in the end and got a very good package deal, hope you find some where your happy with x

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

If you look here there's a full list of licensed venues in the area https://www.portsmouth.gov.uk/living/9354.html.

There are a few different options; like the Spinnaker Tower, Square Tower in Old Portsmouth or the Kings Theatre! I know you have to get married at 1715 at the Spinnaker Tower, as they only close it a bit early although you still have to be married by 1800 to make it legal. Happy hunting! Whale Island is a lovely venue for the reception if you do decide to go for 2 different venues.

• Z
    Beginner August 2011
    Zobo:) ·
    • Hide content

Was just about to say spinikar tower, rather quirky i thought Smiley smile

• bygeorge
    bygeorge ·
    • Hide content

You even get to pick what colour they light it up I think!!

• Z
    Beginner August 2011
    Zobo:) ·
    • Hide content

Really that is so cool! I love it when its all multi coloured. Venue change??? Lol!

• A
    Alice Brown ·
    • Hide content

Your plan sounds good, if you need wedding dress and accesory, i can suggest you one good website, all dresses are custom-made according to your special request and detailed sizes, and you can get it in about 25 days, maybe you can have a look!

http://merbridal.com/

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Firstly welcome to Hitched.

I dont live near you so what I am saying may not be relevant at all so sorry. However we have sole use of a hotel, as it is small in the middle of a small village on Dartmoor and doesnt do many weddings despite booking every hotel room and using every function room they have we are not paying for sole use. So may be worth looking around and seeing if there are any boutique hotels around that you could use either for the day or just the reception. Also down here we have an amazing restaurant on one of the beaches that only does posh fish and chips and you can hire it out. I know that you are a long way away but have you tried looking to see if there is a restaurant that does the food you are looking for that you could hire our? You said that your family drinks and a bar would be expensive, do you mean that you paying for all their drinks will be expensive? If so just dont have a free bar, We aren't. We are offering our guests lots to drink after the ceremony, at the start of the reception and during the meal but after that they are paying for their own. Good luck finding somewhere x

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

I also am a Portsmouth bride and we have plumped for HMS Warrior. We are having both the ceremony and the reception onboard although as far as I am aware you can have one or the other. If you do like the idea they have a great website and you can make an appointment to have a look around so as to find out if it's up your avenue, so to speek.

Have you got long until your wedding? If you do like the Warrior it may be an idea to check it out sooner rather than later as it is very popular in the Summer.

Hope that at least that gives you another option to consider.

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

As already mentioned the tower. Cracking place that and one that will be remembered for a while.

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    Baggins86 ·
    • Hide content

Hi All,

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions! Spinnaker tower was considered, however we went and viewed Fort Nelson yesterday and competely fell in love with it! Not only is the wedding room lovely for me and very historical (Fiance is very into that kind of thing) but what also sold it was the fact that whilst we are going around having pictures done around the fort, our guests are completly allowed to roam around the museam and the galleries (drinks in hand!!) so they are not just standing around waiting for us to finish! Also for an extra £125.00 we can fire a cannon from on top of the fort!!! So that was it, provisionally booked for September 2012, just have to organise the reception now and then I can announce it to the world, soooo excited!!

Again, thank you all for your help and good luck in your weddings! No doubt you will find me on here again soon asking for help in my next crisis :-)

Baggins
    xxxxxxx

• Amour Occasions
    Amour Occasions ·
    • Hide content

Hi Baggins ?

Glad to hear youve found a venue you both like ?

And of course welcome to hitched - its a very addictive place!

Claire

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

theres an awful lot of Portsmouth brides around atm. Glad you found somewhere as there are not many venues for what is a big city!

• E
    Beginner December 2011
    eternallyme ·
    • Hide content

Hiya!

Glad you managed to find somewhere that you both love.... is that for the wedding and reception? I didnt realise you could get married at Fort Nelson. I too am another Portsmouth bride so I look forward to seeing what else you get planned.

X

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

That's great news. Glad you found a venue you love.

• theflowerco
    theflowerco ·
    • Hide content

Fort Nelson is fab! I was just ging to add Cams Hall as a ceremony choice or perhaps the square/round tower thought I would throw them out there if anyone is still looking.

Have fun

Zoe x

• R
    Beginner February 2012
    rlc7 ·
    • Hide content

If you looking for an unusual wedding ceremony venue in Portsmouth have a look at the Square Tower in Old Portsmouth around £600 for a weekend wedding and £300 for during the week it is an amazing place as well!

Hope that helps ?

• theflowerco
    theflowerco ·
    • Hide content

I would even now add Explosion in Gosport after the wedding I did this weekend, it was a great venue!

Welcome Ric7

Zoe xx

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

So Portsmouth brides....how about a Portsmouth Hitcheed meet?!

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content

Can I come too, I don't live in Portsmouth anymore but still not too far away Smiley smile

• E
    Beginner December 2011
    eternallyme ·
    • Hide content

I have tried to start a new thread about a possible meet (Portsmouth Hitched meet - as suggested by Vintage_Mini). Im sure we could make it a 'hampshire' meet or something.... the more the merrier!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics