Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner October 2012

Posh lunch nibbles on a bus

chocolatetiger1, 23 August, 2012 at 12:01 Posted on Planning 0 19

Hi all

After a great hitcher suggestion we have hired a vintage (open top in October in London ? !!). This is to take us from reg office at 11.30 (early reg appointment) on a tour of scenic bits of London - photos etc then to drop us at place for meal. I wanted some nibble type things so guests don't go between early morning and 3pm meal without anything (and there will be loads of Champagne on bus so need something to go with it).

Problem is I want to keep cost down and can't do anything that might make a mess on the bus. This means I ruled out canapes and my original thought of an Indian caterer with Indian snacks.

So my latest idea is individual paper lunch bags with things in that I can pack the day before. Have to choose non fridge items as staying in hotel the day before. I thought ? posh crisps, nuts, small bottle of water, sweets, ?mini flap jack or short bread

Has anyone got any other ideas?

I really need ideas for presentation - I know zip lock bags would do but don't fancy the appearance of them without tarting them up. I'm very crafty but out of ideas.

Thanks very much!!

19 replies

Latest activity by *Pugsley*, 27 August, 2012 at 10:46
  • karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

How about something like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brown-craft-paper-gift-bags-with-tags-and-tissue-ideal-wedding-birthday-party-/160868605456?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Celebrations_Occasions_ET&hash=item2574841e10

You can put your initials on it and the date of your wedding to personalise it or something.

I love the idea of flapjacks etc, slightly filling and stodgy so that people won't get to smashed on the champers!

Can't think of much else that isn't cakey...Sausage rolls?

K

• Flamin Nora
    Beginner August 2013
    Flamin Nora ·
    • Hide content

I've stolen this from a fellow Hitcher, but we're using these for overnight guests -

• hannah22
    Beginner August 2012
    hannah22 ·
    • Hide content

Cupcakes

raisins

savoury biscuits

dried fruit

croissant/pain au chocolate

muffins

and some mints for after?

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love these! Now I just have to find an excuse to use them Smiley smile

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We are doing a little breakfast / snack pack for guests on our coach, got pretty much the same ideas food/drink wise!

Also want to say thanks for this- we could only find boxes with no handles or paper bags! Excellent find thank you!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

What about sushi?!

Were having it tonight on the train to my friends hen do!

• C
    Beginner October 2012
    chocolatetiger1 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, sorry for the slow reply. I'm not being rude - I just can't post replies from my phone and only just got laptop sorted again.

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I LOVE the takeaway boxes especially - and they are a very reasonable price too.

I would have loved Sushi but no one except me likes it. I think I'm going to keep it easy by doing stuff like the lists you all suggested - think I might get baking flap jacks now (purely for research purposes you know).

Thanks everyone

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Have nothing to add, but just wanted to say your idea sounds BRILLIANT!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

My sister went to a wedding where they did this and thought it was a great idea. The bride was a teacher so she prepared "packed lunches" for everyone for the bus journey between the church and the reception. As she was following the school theme, she went for kid style sandwiches, e.g. jam but you could really do anything.

If they're having a 3pm meal, they don't really need anything much more than a little snack. Keep away from anything messy and perhaps include a paper napkin in the bag even if you're going for something like a flapjack, because people won't want to get crumbs on their party clothes!

• C
    Beginner October 2012
    chocolatetiger1 ·
    • Hide content

Does anyone know much about graze boxes? I've never had one - they seem an easy way to get all the stuff packaged on the bus with no hassle from me. There's mixed reviews on the internet - I'm bothered about the portion size but then on the other hand it is only meant to be a nibble before lunch.

Has anyone got any thoughts on these please?

Thanks very much.

CT x

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I never heard of 'graze boxes' before so cant comment on taste/quality but just did a quick google and think they sound pretty cool quite quirky. I guess you just need to work out if it would be cheaper to make something similar yourself.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I have had graze boxes before, but had to stop because I kept eating the entire thing in a day!

They are ooookaaaay. Sometimes they don't seem to listen when you put your choices and send whatever they fancy. Some of the naughty things like the flapjacks and breads are scrummers, but the nuts and seeds are a little less exciting.

Value for money-wise, I think you would be better buying those clear tubs of supermarket-baked shortbead, flapjacks, mini-rolls etc. I'm sure they will stay fresh a few days as the boxes they come in aren't air-tight. Maybe you could put them in paper sweetie bags before popping in the takeaway carton and day or two prior to the wedding. Whenever I buy anything from the bakery they put the bun in a little white paper bag, it reminds me of that!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I just wanted to add even though you are staying in a hotel the night before I am sure they will store a few bits in their fridges for you (if you wanted to include perishable food) particularly as its for your wedding!!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was going to suggest these too...and I finish mine off far too quickly as well.....

• tortoise
    tortoise ·
    • Hide content

I'm planning on doing something similar, but will definitely be staying away from Graze boxes. I like them (also guilty of munching all 4 in one day!), but there's no guarantees what you will get and if I got stuck with a box of seeds it would just go to waste. Some of the stuff is scrummy, but it depends on individuals. It's a bit if a waste of money if you get mostly nuts and seeds and hardly anybody likes them. I like the idea of shortbread, nom nom nom

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Same here, had to stop the graze subscription as I didn't graze... I scoffed!!

Posh nibbles sounds good! My sister did a similar thing, a bus your round London inbetween ceremony & reception. She only had small bags of pretzels though but it was nice to have something. One small word of advice, depending on the length of the bus journey don't ply people with champagne on the bus like my sister did- it lead to most the guests bursting for a wee by the time we got to the reception! I've never seen people run in to a reception venue so fast! Haha.

• C
    Beginner October 2012
    chocolatetiger1 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies. Update is I've ordered a Graze box just to see if it suits what I want . If I don't fancy it (I know to cancel the next one though!) I'm going with either the take away boxes + those cake nibbles and nuts and bottle of water . But seeing what Lottie said (I've never thought of the toilet stop problem before - another thing to put on the 'to think about' list!) I might have to bin the water . I've also seen these / that I could lay things out in a tray and look nice.

Funky jamieson - I hadn't really thought about asking the hotel but seeing so many of us are staying there they should try to help us - thanks for the idea.

Thanks! CT

• clarediston
    clarediston ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE the bus idea! Smiley laugh

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I think small bottles of water would be ok, just try to get as small as poss maybe? It a tricky one because if it's warm then water on the bus would be a good idea... I think it's mostly alcohol which makes people need to pee more. I love the bus goodie bag idea!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics