Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mellow_Yellow
Beginner May 2012

Positive Thinking/CBT/Self Help

Mellow_Yellow, 4 of July of 2013 at 09:53 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

I had a bit of an epiphany moment while sitting on my balcony in Amsterdam at the weekend. I've been quite unhappy for a long time now, and even though I have ok days, there are definitely more bad than good. I realised that I think I cause a lot of this myself by being very hard on myself, I experience a lot of self imposed guilt, and I'm not very kind to myself at all.

For instance, if I get up and go for a 5k run, go to work and complete 3/5 tasks, come home and have a healthy dinner, but don't make it to my gym class...instead of being pleased at what I've achieved, I beat myself up all evening for the other two tasks and the neglected gym class.

I've decided that the key to happiness is for me to be more positive and guilt myself less. The problem is that it's quite tough to change an entire way of thinking. Does anyone have any books, online resources, hints, tips, techniques, podcasts, etc.? Anything at all that might help would be much appreciated.

TIA ?

14 replies

Latest activity by Mellow_Yellow, 4 of July of 2013 at 14:30
  • loadsagifts
    Beginner January 2012
    loadsagifts ·
    • Hide content

Have sent you a message, hope you get it as I am still learning to use this forum!

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I could be wrong but I think the message function has been switched off...you can email me on: sammireynolds @ hotmail.co.uk

• loadsagifts
    Beginner January 2012
    loadsagifts ·
    • Hide content

Ok, will do

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I had hypnotherapy which I found to be massively helpful, but obviously it costs. If you have a look on Amazon there are lots of CBT books which might be a better starting point for you if you've never had CBT before?

• loadsagifts
    Beginner January 2012
    loadsagifts ·
    • Hide content

Sent x

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Peanut - my counsellor has referred me for CBT on the NHS, I'm just looking to fill the gap while I sit on the waiting list. I agree that books would be a good starting point, just looking for recommendations.

Roseability - yes, that one is probably perfect. I'm battling depression at the minute, so very appropriate...I'll have a look ?

Loadsagifts - I got your email, thanks ?

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at downloading some hypno sessions? I did when I quit smoking and they helped me massively. Might be a good place to start and cheaper than paying for full sessions

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I went on a course through work that was really good. It was focused on unwrapping your potential etc but the website for the company has some good resources. You can get a daily email as well to remind you of things.

it focuses a lot on positive thinking, how you perceive yourself and a achieving goals. I've yard it outside of work as well as in. The speaker us a chap called Lou tice (loads of stuff in YouTube) and the website is the pacific institute.

Hth

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, no advice but you'll get there ?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies, lots of fab otter help, as always.

Thanks for the hug Ali ? I'm actually feeling more positive than I have done all year, now to put it in to practice and maintain it...the hardest part is not slipping back under.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Funny that you should mention Mindfulness Flora, my therapist has touched on it and my CBT referral has noted that Mindfulness should be a particular area of focus. For the moment I'm going to read the CBT book on Overcoming Depression and take it from there...one of my issues is that I often give myself a ridiculous amount of stuff to do or read and then feel disappointed when I can't do it all. I'm not sure on the BPD book, it seems that I sit on the Bipolar spectrum so not sure if it would be the book for me. I appreciate everyone's input though, you are all bloomin fab!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics