Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I-go-by-many-names
Super April 2015

possible to negotiate on tailored suit prices?

I-go-by-many-names, 6 of January of 2015 at 21:59 Posted on Planning 0 5

I need some advice please from anyone who has been to a proper tailor for the groom's suit.

My OH has been to see a tailor today and he has come away feeling very good about the experience, however the price he has been quoted is £1250. This is way over our budget (my dress was less than half of that!) But I know its what he really wants and high street suits always look I'll fitting on him due to his lanky limbs and broad shoulders.

My question is do you think the tailor would negotiate on the price? I know I would ask as I am not shy about this sort of thing but my OH is the type to be too embarrassed to ask. He doesn't want me to be involved as he wants it to be a secret. Do you think he should ask?

5 replies

Latest activity by I-go-by-many-names, 7 of January of 2015 at 22:36
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

They may be prepared to negotiate, so there's no harm in asking. It could be that they'd willingly come down in price, but perhaps compromise on quality or style of material to better suit the budget you have in mind. Alternatively, they may offer to include a shirt/tie/shoes free instead as they often do at bridal shops.

It's a good idea to have in mind what kind of discount you'd be expecting though, or what you'd be prepared to accept so maybe chat about it together first if he decides to give it a whirl.

Good luck ?

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at moss boss? I'm sure when we went to get hubby's hired suit there was a suit making service and don't remember it anything like that? Maybe it's not the same though

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Some places will offer 'tailored'suits which basically means they try on different jackets to see which one fits best then order one in that size and do slight alterations to length etc. Then there are bespoke ones where the suit is literally made to for you to your exact measurements so it fits perfectly. The latter is what my OH's quote was for. He has looked elsewhere but he was quoted a higher price.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

If you want to shop around, I can recommend King and Allen (https://kingandallen.co.uk/) as a nationwide tailor that will be more affordable. We've used them when we lived in London. The service was excellent and the suit was beautiful.

I also know an excellent one in Leeds but I'm not sure where you are. I can pass on details if you want them.

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We live in Leeds. OH's appointment was at michelsberg tailoring in the Victoria arcade.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics