Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Leah
Beginner April 2025 East London

Post elopement wedding party

Leah, 30 of July of 2023 at 09:18 Posted on Planning 0 8
Hi!

Not sure if anyone is able to help, but I’m struggling to find a venue for a post elopement party. Me and my fiancé have been engaged for almost 7 years, and in that time we’ve struggled to agree on what wedding we want. He wanted to elope just us two (he hates being centre of attention and hated the idea of spending so much money for 1 day). On the other hand, I wanted a wedding with around 60 people, as I moved cities and I barely see any family - so having people there is important to me.
Because of this, we’ve not managed to make a decision on where we marry, except for a compromise which we’ve come up with now which is that we do both…
So elope in Canada and do honeymoon right after (which is costing around £10k), and then come home and have a post elopement party.
Issue is, I want quality time with my family - sit down meal and DJ, so we’re essentially having to pay for two weddings.
We’ve decided for the UK post elopement party, to make it cheaper by having the following schedule so we don’t need to pay for 2 rounds of food for everyone:
- 4pm start time, guests arrive, canapés and welcome drink - 6pm - 8pm - we play our elopement video and photo slide show, as everyone is sat down to eat, do a few very short speeches. Everyone eats wedding breakfast / has coffees etc- After dinner we were thinking of doing something fun like a game of bingo but with some really good prizes to win, something to perk people up before DJ / dancing- 9pm - DJ
Now, where i’m struggling is even cutting out the ceremony and having our celebration start at 4pm, the cost is still totalling to the amount of a standard wedding. So venue wise, I think i’m going to have to back down and go for something really casual like a brewery or similar , but then that’s not what i had imagined for our celebration.
I considered an air bnb or country house rental and catering there - but many of them don’t have the indoor space for a sit down meal, and i’d be banking on the weather being good.
It shouldn’t feel this hard because we will already be married, but it’s really coming out expensive, and if we’re going to pay for the full thing in the UK it makes me feel like we’re essentially paying for two weddings - one abroad and one him the UK. Maybe our compromise isn’t actually possible after all, because the part of the wedding that I am wanting isn’t going to be possible on a £6k budget? i’ve actually started trying to find venues that have packages like baby shower/engagement packages but not getting anywhere.
Any ideas would be great. We’re looking in the yorkshire or north east england area.

8 replies

Latest activity by RomanticGreenStationery27135, 31 of July of 2023 at 22:16
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    What you want is certainly possible as there are so many potential wedding venues, some will offer what you want, it's just a case of searching for the right things to find them. With your suggested timings, you may find it helpful to search for twilight weddings (e.g. Mercure Bradford have an 80 guest twilight package for £4k). Or you may want to search for dry hire as it can be cheaper bringing in all your own suppliers (e.g. Ilkley Manor House is £750 hire).
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Why is your Canadian wedding so expensive, since it's just the elopement? Or is the 10k for the honeymoon?

• Leah
    Leah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you so much! i’ve contacted the ones you suggested 😊 i didn’t think of dry hire for some reason, so i will go that route too!
    I also managed to get a quote off of the vineyard in holmfirth for a custom package thankfully!

Thanks for your message
  • Leah
    Leah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yeah that’s correct, the flights, plus spending money and then a honeymoon in the USA is making up the cost. The actual wedding in the rockies is looking to be around £4k, (photographer , wedding meal and the stay / ceremony etc).
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can you reduce the cost of the ceremony? Maybe if you think of the overall cost as being wedding reception + honeymoon instead of 2 weddings, it might help? (Assuming you can actually afford the cost and it's just that you feel uncomfortable with spending so much money on 'two weddings')

Another thing - you're eloping because your OH hates being the centre of attention, but surely you are both still going to be the centre of attention at your post-wedding party? Is it just saying his vows in front of so many that make him feel uncomfortable? If so, would you consider having a private marriage ceremony in the UK followed immediately by the reception?

• Leah
    Leah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for your reply Smiley smile Yeah, i think that’s a good way to think about it - honeymoon included. I’m going to start looking at ways to reduce the ceremony costs now.

Yeah so the being centre of attention thing - that almost disappears with our wedding reception because it means we don’t have to do a lot of the things he was finding nerve wrecking, vows infront of people and also he doesn’t like the idea of cutting the cake and first dance traditions (to be honest me either, happy to skip those too!). So with an elopement it feels like we can strip it back to a party and meal without people expecting those things. Although weirdly he is happy about doing a speech 🤷‍♀️ But there’s other reason too, he doesn’t want to choose between friends for having a best man etc, so it means we can cherry pick the wedding reception fully if we elope Smiley smile
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Your wedding your way, cake cutting -you don't even have to have a cake. Instead of a first dance you could have a couples dance and as for a best man - don't have one and just have groomsmen instead.

• R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If the only reason you are eloping is to avoid making your vows and cake cutting in front of a large crowd, then there is really no need to go to the expense of flying abroad! The only stuff you have to have for a wedding is the legal bit that gets you married - everything else is optional.

Get married in a private ceremony at the registrar or church with just your witnesses. If you want photos but don't want them with loads of other people around, then have your photographer come to the ceremony and then do some couple shots with you at your location of choice. (If you pick a midweek or offseason date, it should be possible to find a photographer who is willing to do a half day, so you don't have to pay for whole-day coverage when you only need 2-3 hours) Then go on to a celebratory meal with family & friends, either later that day or a couple of days later - you don't need to have any cake cutting, dances, speeches or anything else you don't want to. We didn't have any of these things at our wedding! Look at booking a restaurant or private function room in a pub - way cheaper than a traditional wedding venue.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics