Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

TheMrsMeFo
Beginner April 2015

Postpone the wedding?! :(

TheMrsMeFo, 17 of November of 2014 at 14:00 Posted on Planning 0 7

I think we might have to postpone our wedding. We are due to get married in April and recently things haven't been going well. The money we started saving ages ago for the wedding has had to be spent on other things so we thought we would get the money from a loan / against the house. However thats not working out like we hoped. We are also having issues with family and I really feel that there is no other option apart from postponing. H2B has said no way to this, that we have set the date and we will be getting married then, but I just can't see it - short of robbing a bank and some of our family member's having personality and respect transplants...I can't imagine it going ahead.
That thought kills me, we were due to get married in 2009 but had a small blip and then fell pregnant so we cancelled the wedding. I so so so want to be his wife and share the same name as our 2 children.

We have of course already orgainised most of the wedding and paid depostis ect, however FFIL is paying for our venue so if we postpone he will lose that deposit and we will lose the deposits on everything else we have paid. Also I had my heart set on an April wedding and I really don't want to wait another year. I have already had my hen weekend too!!

Not really sure what I expect you all to reply, I just wanted to have a wee rant, let my feelings out as feeling pretty low about everything that is going on.
Thanks for taking the time to read it though xx

7 replies

Latest activity by Paula @ Ollievision, 17 of November of 2014 at 19:04
  • kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Are there ways that you can cut back on some of the things you have got in mind in order to save some money.

It's never good to start a marriage (even if you have been in a relationship for a long time) by borrowing money to fund it, but there are often ways of clawing back some of the money you thought you might need to spend.

Re-consider your catering, music, number of guests, table decorations, etc etc. Even if you've already booked deposits, there is no harm in being honest and asking if you can reduce the packages to a lower cost one, to "save" your wedding.

Ultimately, remember, that you CAN marry your beloved - you CAN have the same name and be legally man and wife - you just need to book a quickie at the registry office. OK, so the pomp and ceremony won't be there, but you would have your man, and his name. Everything else on top of that is just fluff and show, so if its a case of postponing, or having an intimate ceremony at the registry office, you DO actually have a choice and can be married as soon as you like.

Good luck!

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry you're going through this! I'm not sure I have much to offer in the way of advice but didn't want to read and run!

Is there any way you could just scale things down? If some family members are causing problems could you just not invite them, have a smaller more intimate wedding? Maybe you could speak to FFIL and explain how things are and see if he can help? Maybe borrow from family and set up a plan to pay them back over a certain amount of time?

Sorry - I'm not much help... I hope some of the other hitchers have some ideas x

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

The venue tends to be the biggest expense and that sounds like it's sorted, which is a good thing. You may just have to lower your expectations on the other stuff (e.g. get a second hand dress/do some DIY decorations etc).

What is your budget for everything non-venue related?

Can you get a loan from your FFIL? Interest free credit cared something like that. If you're desperate to be married and have already postponed once, it may be worth investigating all your options before postponing again.

What is the problem with the families?

To be honest there's always someone causing drama when you're organising a wedding and there's also never enough money even if you have a huge budget.

Sometimes adjusting your expectations helps getting things into perspective.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Basically this ^^^ And big hugs to you - never nice to have family issues, and on top of money worries as well. Please keep us updated, and if there's anything we can advise on (I'm thinking there may be Hitchers local to you) then do let us know.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww, sweetie, I really hope you don't have to postpone. Look at all your options on the money front. Loans are really good value at the moment, you might be able to get an interest free credit card, or you could ask family and friends for help. This doesn't all have to be financial, perhaps one friend has a nice car that they'll take you to the venue in, maybe someone is good at make up, someone might have a tiara or shoes they could lend you, explore all your options. You really don't want to lose all your deposits! Even if you do have to postpone, speak to all your suppliers as your deposit may be transferred to the new date. As for family, it sadly isn't worth holding out for certain things to change. If there are people that can't be happy for you, let them be miserable somewhere else! Good luck, you'll marry him eventually!

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

If your FIL is paying for the venue then the other costs are minimal. Be tough with yourself about what is really needed. Or send me a list of all the extra things you think you need and I'll cross off all the things you can save money on!

Don't cancel the wedding or else there could be significant bad feelings with your OH's family re lost deposits.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics